Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
What is the best way to answer "tell me about a time you demonstrated attention to detail"? Task I had in mind was when I proofread a DD report.
It isn’t really about the example, it’s about the evidence within it. For instance, did you pick up errors in that DD report that no one else did? How many pages were the DD report/how complex was the information?

The answer wouldn’t be strong if you just said you read a three page DD report. But it would be stronger if you said you found several mistakes in a DD report, particularly if those mistakes impacted the report significantly, or if you had to read 100 pages in a short period of time, or if the report was one something you hadn’t worked on before/did not know the subject well.

Reactions: laurabeaumont

InvesmentBanker

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
May 26, 2023
I really wonder
It isn’t really about the example, it’s about the evidence within it. For instance, did you pick up errors in that DD report that no one else did? How many pages were the DD report/how complex was the information?

The answer wouldn’t be strong if you just said you read a three page DD report. But it would be stronger if you said you found several mistakes in a DD report, particularly if those mistakes impacted the report significantly, or if you had to read 100 pages in a short period of time, or if the report was one something you hadn’t worked on before/did not know the subject well.
Okay that's really insightful, thank you.

RANDOTRON

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 11, 2021
    I really wonder

Okay that's really insightful, thank you.
    Hi there! You might know this method already, but the way I tend to tackle these sorts of competency questions is by using the STAR method. I basically outline first the Situation, then the Task, followed by the Action(s) I took, and finish off by talking about the Result I received. I find that this method helps me keep a structured and focused answer, and also zero in on the instance(s) where I have demonstrated the trait I'm being asked about.

Hope this helps! 👍

Hus95

Star Member
    May 29, 2022
    Does anyone have any tips on securing entry level compliance and other legal related finance/aml roles? struggling finding suitable roles on linkedin and indeed atm

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    As a GDL graduate with no legal experience, is a paralegal salary of £22,000-£23,000 in London fair or should I negotiate?
    Depends on the firm. A salary at an international/US firm, this would be low, but for a national firm this is going to be fairly standard unless you have experience. You might be able to negotiate a bit - but probably less than 10% more and even then they could easily say no

Law1099

Valued Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    As a GDL graduate with no legal experience, is a paralegal salary of £22,000-£23,000 in London fair or should I negotiate?
    It is pretty low in my honest opinion. It does depend on the firm but if the firm has an office in london, paying paralegals this salary is a bit of a joke considering it’s very common to do unpaid overtime as a paralegal. Saying that, it’s good to get your foot in the door and taking a job like that could lead to a higher paid job!

Reactions: Ambbb

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Are you able to self-fund the SQE if you don't get a TC? Or is there not really any point in doing that if the end-goal is to get a TC?
    Yes - you can self fund. The LPC was the same and many chose to self fund that too.

It really depends on your own circumstances as to whether you should or not, depending on the type of firms you are aiming for and also factors like your financial situation. Where you can, it makes sense to try and secure a TC first, but many people will have secured TCs because they self-funded either the SQE or the LPC. Given pass rates with the SQE, I think if you can pass it you’ll also be in a strong position as there is going to be less talent in the market who can go on the train/qualify than there was previously.

Reactions: laurabeaumont

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 30, 2023
    What is the best way to answer "tell me about a time you demonstrated attention to detail"? Task I had in mind was when I proofread a DD report.
    Hi @InvesmentBanker !

Make sure, as Jessica says, to quantify your experience - numbers really do catch GR’s eye! Equally, as @RANDOTRON explained, follow the STAR method. I would add that making sure you really have tailored the answer to your experience rather than being very generalised. As well as adding numbers, tell them what you learned from the experience - did it go wrong, if so what did you learn? Did it go, if so why - what did you do to succeed ie what skills or previous experience did you use? You can catch my drift - personalised answers always succeed.

Hope this helps :)

Laura

• Love
    Reactions: InvesmentBanker

CorporateCrocodile

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 21, 2022
    @Jessica Booker do you know if a distinction in the GDL might balance out a low 2:1 at undergrad (at least from a firm's perspective)? Slaughter's was always on my radar but I had written it off because of my undergrad results. Are firms likely to even care about the GDL or is it more of a so long as you don't fail it type of thing?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker do you know if a distinction in the GDL might balance out a low 2:1 at undergrad (at least from a firm's perspective)? Slaughter's was always on my radar but I had written it off because of my undergrad results. Are firms likely to even care about the GDL or is it more of a so long as you don't fail it type of thing?
    A distinction can help, but I don’t think it will completely outweigh other academics - so it really depends on your academic profile in more detail - eg spread of module results in your degree, A-level or equivalent grades too.

Law1099

Valued Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    Bit of a niche question but..

A few months ago I did temping at a city firm through an agency. The firm said they want to keep me on the books so that if I have any other free time (like 2-4 weeks) I can come again if there is any work available.

The agency I went through is not answering (and tbh, he’s being a bit shady as I turned down a few further temp work at his agency). I have the email address to the person who I was reporting to at the city firm. Is it ok to just pop her an email and ask if there is any work/am I needed for the next few weeks?

Anyone got any advice on this? Thanks

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Bit of a niche question but..

A few months ago I did temping at a city firm through an agency. The firm said they want to keep me on the books so that if I have any other free time (like 2-4 weeks) I can come again if there is any work available.

The agency I went through is not answering (and tbh, he’s being a bit shady as I turned down a few further temp work at his agency). I have the email address to the person who I was reporting to at the city firm. Is it ok to just pop her an email and ask if there is any work/am I needed for the next few weeks?

Anyone got any advice on this? Thanks
    Honestly, don’t do this.

If the firm uses as agency for temp staff, they are going to use this or another agency again.

You could ask them if there are any other agencies they work with that you could register with, but they won’t employ you for a few weeks work (that’s why they go to agencies).

Last edited:

Aga123+

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Aug 2, 2021
    I'm about to renew my TCLA membership but I just wanted to find out whether the application review covers CV reviews. If not, what options are there if I would like my work experience reviewed? - :)

Reactions: Jaysen

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.