TCLA General Discussion Thread 2022-23

sa174m

• Jul 3, 2022
    A fail is likely to impact your offer just because you would need to retake the course and are then are likely to not be able to start your TC by the time your intake is due to start.

Given the terms of your contract you have mentioned, as long as you pass there shouldn’t be a problem.
    My intake won't be next year but the year after, do you think it could matter even if it doesn't impact the start dates? (I know some firms really care about you passing on the first go)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    My intake won't be next year but the year after, do you think it could matter even if it doesn't impact the start dates? (I know some firms really care about you passing on the first go)
    It could still possibly.

I think you shouldn’t concern yourself about this at this stage though. Wait until you have your results as you could be worrying about nothing.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does anybody have a good cover letter format for paralegal roles?
    I would say it doesn’t need to be more than a page long, with a formal cover letter structure.

And then cover the three following aspects:

- Why the firm
    - Why the opportunity (eg why a role in that department/team/practice area)
    - Why you

(doesn’t necessarily have to be in that order).

If you can find out the e name of the recruiter, then address the cover letter to them.

• ℹ️
    • 🏆
    Reactions: AvniD and S87

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    I would say it doesn’t need to be more than a page long, with a formal cover letter structure.

And then cover the three following aspects:

- Why the firm
    - Why the opportunity (eg why a role in that department/team/practice area)
    - Why you

(doesn’t necessarily have to be in that order).

If you can find out the e name of the recruiter, then address the cover letter to them.
    Thank you very much @Jessica Booker

J.E TCLA

Junior Lawyer
    Sep 2, 2022
    Hi Jessica

Wondered if you had any familiarity with the SQE 1 self-study course from BPP. I finish a PGDL in early May 2024 (I am starting Sept 2023) and would be looking to take the SQE1 in that late-July window. I would study it full time, so would have approx. 2.5 months to prepare. Do you think this would be feasible? Not so worried about work demands as will easily be Abel to commit 40+hrs a week to it if necessary.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica

Wondered if you had any familiarity with the SQE 1 self-study course from BPP. I finish a PGDL in early May 2024 (I am starting Sept 2023) and would be looking to take the SQE1 in that late-July window. I would study it full time, so would have approx. 2.5 months to prepare. Do you think this would be feasible? Not so worried about work demands as will easily be Abel to commit 40+hrs a week to it if necessary.
    Their self-study course is really for lawyers qualified in another jurisdiction or those who have significant experience working in law firms. If you are just coming out of the PGDL, then their SQE Prep course for law graduates is likely to be the best option for you but this is a four-month course, and so you wouldn't be able to cover the course and sit the SQE1 in July 2024. You may want to look at someone like BARBRI who can provide a more intense course (look for their 10-week accelerated SQE1 prep course option), although even then it is ten weeks (which would be tight on time) and I don't know how frequent their intakes for this course and whether you could start it in May 2024.

The other thing to mention is that everyone is expecting the SRA to up the frequency of the SQE1 and SQE2 assessments - the expectation is that there will be four sittings of each a year (Jan, Apr, Jul, Oct) for both SQE 1 and SQE 2, especially by 2024 when a lot more people will be going through the SQE training system. Therefore, you may find there isn't the pressure to sit the SQE1 in July 2024, but that you could sit in October/November instead, giving you time to complete BBP's course.

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    Hello, @Jessica Booker. Hope you are doing well. So, I've actually secured an interview at a law firm for the Employment and Labour team. I am obviously going to be asked why I want to practice in this area as opposed to other areas. My answer to this is that I like the human element to this area which makes it different from other areas that are just money-centric. I think my answer is not convincing and may even do more harm than good because if I tell them that I want more human interaction, they might as well ask me why I didn't go down the family law route. I am just very confused about how I can say what I really want to say (hopefully you can decipher what I am unable to fully articulate). I would be really grateful if you could please help me out with this. Thanks in advance.

Miki3999

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Jun 2, 2019
    Hello, @Jessica Booker. Hope you are doing well. So, I've actually secured an interview at a law firm for the Employment and Labour team. I am obviously going to be asked why I want to practice in this area as opposed to other areas. My answer to this is that I like the human element to this area which makes it different from other areas that are just money-centric. I think my answer is not convincing and may even do more harm than good because if I tell them that I want more human interaction, they might as well ask me why I didn't go down the family law route. I am just very confused about how I can say what I really want to say (hopefully you can decipher what I am unable to fully articulate). I would be really grateful if you could please help me out with this. Thanks in advance.
    You can say that you like the personal relationships that can be formed in this practice area as opposed to, say, corporate law, where you would interact with dozens of people with whom the relationships formed would be slightly less personal. You can also say that you are interested in the way in which law impacts humans as persons, which is best evidenced by the legal work of the employment and labour team.

• 🏆
    Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    You can say that you like the personal relationships that can be formed in this practice area as opposed to, say, corporate law, where you would interact with dozens of people with whom the relationships formed would be slightly less personal. You can also say that you are interested in the way in which law impacts humans as persons, which is best evidenced by the legal work of the employment and labour team.
    Thank you so much. This was helpful.

• Love
    Reactions: Miki3999

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    You will have to play careful with this sometimes employment teams are those helping to implement mass redundancies across businesses. It will depend on what the typical client for the firm is - does it deal with individuals or corporations?

I think its probably the use of interaction that could be the cause for concern here. It maybe that it’s more that there is a human element to the work (eg the topics you deal with) rather than the interaction, unless the firm is mainly working for individuals rather than corporates.

• ℹ️

John Doe 555 333

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    May 17, 2022
    Hey guys, I recently purchased a TCLA Gold Membership, but I have still not been admitted to the Premium Forum. It states that my "Memberships [is] awaiting approval". What can I do about this? Thanks

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey guys, I recently purchased a TCLA Gold Membership, but I have still not been admitted to the Premium Forum. It states that my "Memberships [is] awaiting approval". What can I do about this? Thanks
    Hi @John Doe 555 333

I will flag this to the team but you may also want to contact the following email address:

D8A99203-D577-4388-B275-8C832C6C58BF.jpeg

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    I'd always be cautious about negatively portraying another law firm or department as a way to justify your motivations for applying as this doesn't convincingly convey what you actually like about the firm or department you've chosen. Accordingly, labelling other practice areas as money centric doesn't actually demonstrate why you like Employment and Labour. As Jessica said above, the human element in the work that you deal with could be a good reason but you need to explore why you like this in further detail- does you work have a more direct impact on human lives, do you feel a greater sense of responsibility and sensitivity in how you approach your work, are there more complexities to consider in this practice area etc.?

• ℹ️

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    I'd always be cautious about negatively portraying another law firm or department as a way to justify your motivations for applying as this doesn't convincingly convey what you actually like about the firm or department you've chosen. Accordingly, labelling other practice areas as money centric doesn't actually demonstrate why you like Employment and Labour. As Jessica said above, the human element in the work that you deal with could be a good reason but you need to explore why you like this in further detail- does you work have a more direct impact on human lives, do you feel a greater sense of responsibility and sensitivity in how you approach your work, are there more complexities to consider in this practice area etc.?
    Thank you for your response, Avni.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Lawyerwithadream and AvniD

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.