TCLA General Discussion Thread 2022-23

B A

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 4, 2020
Quick question for @Jessica Booker or @Jaysen - I have just seen the news about the TCLA scholarship scheme for this year. I was planning to purchase a TCLA premium membership today, but as I will be eligible to apply for the scholarship, I am wondering whether I should hold off now? Or, for example, if I received a scholarship would it be possible to just reimburse me for my existing membership rather than providing me with another one?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Quick question for @Jessica Booker or @Jaysen - I have just seen the news about the TCLA scholarship scheme for this year. I was planning to purchase a TCLA premium membership today, but as I will be eligible to apply for the scholarship, I am wondering whether I should hold off now? Or, for example, if I received a scholarship would it be possible to just reimburse me for my existing membership rather than providing me with another one?
Hi @B A - the scholarship programme is a slightly different package of support compared to the premium membership, and so it wouldn’t necessarily be possible to give a direct refund/reimbursement.

We won’t be confirming the scholarship places until the 10 October, so you may also want to consider whether you would want access for the next two and a half weeks.

B A

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 4, 2020
Hi @B A - the scholarship programme is a slightly different package of support compared to the premium membership, and so it wouldn’t necessarily be possible to give a direct refund/reimbursement.

We won’t be confirming the scholarship places until the 10 October, so you may also want to consider whether you would want access for the next two and a half weeks.
Right, thanks for the help Jessica!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Right, thanks for the help Jessica!
What might be possible is for us to either pause a live subscription (and tag the remainder of the subscription on the end of a scholarship programme) or potentially start the scholarship programme once someone’s subscription has expired. We will be able to confirm this with anyone who is selected though.

Reactions: B A

lolamcd1

Esteemed Member
Feb 1, 2022
Hey, I’ve recently started a paralegal position. It is my first role and I have not yet completed the LPC. I am finding it really difficult to get given tasks? I am asking everyone in the office twice a day if they have any work for me but am sat twiddling my thumbs for most of the day. Anything that I have done I have received good feedback from. Any advice on what to do apart from keep on asking? Feeling really frustrated most days as I am keen to grow and learn on the job (there are also other paralegals but they have done the LPC and tell me that my lack of experience is why they are getting assigned tasks before me). Thank you in advance

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hey, I’ve recently started a paralegal position. It is my first role and I have not yet completed the LPC. I am finding it really difficult to get given tasks? I am asking everyone in the office twice a day if they have any work for me but am sat twiddling my thumbs for most of the day. Anything that I have done I have received good feedback from. Any advice on what to do apart from keep on asking? Feeling really frustrated most days as I am keen to grow and learn on the job (there are also other paralegals but they have done the LPC and tell me that my lack of experience is why they are getting assigned tasks before me). Thank you in advance
I think that if the LPC was that big of a consideration for the firm, they simply would not have offered you the role. Possibly the other paralegals have been there longer and so they are more known to the office? It could also be a slight down period for the firm in terms of workload and that's why your workload as a newcomer is low too. I would resist the temptation to blame yourself or your credentials at this stage- there may be other factors influencing this that aren't as easily in your control. What do you think you/the firm could do to remedy this? Do you think a chat with your supervisor may be beneficial?

golden99

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 1, 2021
Hi there,

I’m a future trainee at a silver circle firm. I’ve asked a lot of questions on the forum in the last year, so a massive thank you to everyone!

My SQE begins next year and I am hoping to to work until about may/June before I go travelling. I’m quite flexible about what role I take on. I am particularly open to working at a startup or taking on some sort of political role (think tank or within Labour Party) or paralegalling as well.

At the moment I have just looked on work4anmp.com and emailed my firm. Does anyone have any advice on where else I could look or any other areas where future trainees often end up. Any advice from anyone would be welcome aha!

Reactions: Jessica Booker

J.E TCLA

Junior Lawyer
Sep 2, 2022
Hi Jessica (or anyone else)

I am holding an offer for a TC from a firm and have been for just under three weeks. They would like me to make a decision pretty soon. However, I am waiting to hear back from the outcome of a final interview round and a much better firm and would like to wait until then before making a call as they would be my first choice. The second firm said they would not be getting back to us until the end of next week and I fear this might be too long a wait for the first firm. How should I handle this?

Miki3999

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Jun 2, 2019

I am holding an offer for a TC from a firm and have been for just under three weeks. They would like me to make a decision pretty soon. However, I am waiting to hear back from the outcome of a final interview round and a much better firm and would like to wait until then before making a call as they would be my first choice. The second firm said they would not be getting back to us until the end of next week and I fear this might be too long a wait for the first firm. How should I handle this?
    I would tell the first firm that you are awaiting outcome of another interview and you would like additional time to consider the offer. In fact, I did that when I had an offer from one firm and was waitiing for the outcome of an interview with another firm, it was all good :)

Last edited:
    Reactions: Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Agree with @Miki3999 ’s post above.

If the firm does not offer you an extension, then accept the offer and then if you need to renege, you can do so.

Reactions: Uvaia and Miki3999

John Doe 555 333

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    May 17, 2022
    Hey guys, I have a question related to CV applications: should I include Open days that I have attended (even though I did not attend an open day at the firm that I am sending my CV to)?

lawyering

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 29, 2020
    Just a quick reminder that applications for our 2022-23 Scholarship programme close on Monday 3 October - to apply for this cycle's programme, please visit: TCLA Scholarship Programme 2022-23 | The Corporate Law Academy

Hi @Jessica Booker this is such a great programme and would love to apply, however I've only just come across the opportunity. Can I check when exactly the application form will close? The page says 'by 3rd October' so just wondering if that means by the end of 2nd October i.e. 11:59 today. Thank you.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker this is such a great programme and would love to apply, however I've only just come across the opportunity. Can I check when exactly the application form will close? The page says 'by 3rd October' so just wondering if that means by the end of 2nd October i.e. 11:59 today. Thank you.
    Will be 23.59 on Monday 3 October.

golden99

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 1, 2021
    Hi, quick question about paralegal roles. If I were to take a 10 month ftc paralegal role but then decide to leave early, would I be allowed to do this?

If I am allowed is this frowned upon within within the industry and could there be any comeback for me immediately or down the line?

@Jessica Booker @AvniD

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.