TCLA General Discussion Thread 2022-23

DTB

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 21, 2019
    Hi all! I would love advice on 'discussing a commercial story' both in the context of apps and interviews.
    For apps, what would be a good structure to follow and what kind of story would be good - it should be something commercial and not legal right such as a new law or new rules by FCA?

The thing I am most struggling with for both is what story to pick - macro or micro. For instance at a micro level I have been following the twitter deal and I find it interesting but I don't see how I can link this back to a law firm in both apps and interviews, what would be the greater implications of the twitter deal? Also, I assume it would be more relevant to firms that have more of a tech base? Alternatively there are macro topics like ESG greenwashing and new disclosure rules. This is something that could apply to all firms?

I want to start building a bank where I can discuss this in an interview, but I don't want to have to chose a new story for each firm but something that will apply to all? I am really struggling with linking back micro topics like made.com back to law firms. I would greatly appreciate advice on this, examples of past topics people have used and whether I am thinking too much about the macro vs micro.

@AvniD any advice would be greatly appreciated!

j.s.cox

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 29, 2022
    Hi all! I would love advice on 'discussing a commercial story' both in the context of apps and interviews.
    For apps, what would be a good structure to follow and what kind of story would be good - it should be something commercial and not legal right such as a new law or new rules by FCA?

The thing I am most struggling with for both is what story to pick - macro or micro. For instance at a micro level I have been following the twitter deal and I find it interesting but I don't see how I can link this back to a law firm in both apps and interviews, what would be the greater implications of the twitter deal? Also, I assume it would be more relevant to firms that have more of a tech base? Alternatively there are macro topics like ESG greenwashing and new disclosure rules. This is something that could apply to all firms?

I want to start building a bank where I can discuss this in an interview, but I don't want to have to chose a new story for each firm but something that will apply to all? I am really struggling with linking back micro topics like made.com back to law firms. I would greatly appreciate advice on this, examples of past topics people have used and whether I am thinking too much about the macro vs micro.

I don't know if it's the right way to approach it, but I've been following a few stories and thinking about how to apply them to law firms in My Training Contract Journey thread. You're welcome to read the ones I have already written.
    The way I go about it is finding a story I have found interesting and thinking about the departments and clients it will affect in a law firm.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

My advice is generally to try and pick a topic that fewer people would pick. The issue with the Twitter deal is that it is very obvious one something that many people will talk about. It’s almost like it is too much of a headline topic that will be too popular.

You can pick more of a micro topic within a macro theme though. For instance, with greenwashing, how it is impacting a particular sector or country? This may also make your story more unique.

Pick up a publication/news outlet with multiple stories in it and use your own interests to identify the stories you gravitate towards. That will be a good way to pick the stories as they will come isn’t a natural level of interest in them.

• 🤝
    Reactions: WindowsUpdate and DTB

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021

Hi @DTB! I remember I was asked to discuss a news story in an interview once and I really was not prepared is having a structure beforehand is super helpful!

I'd recommend something like introducing what the news story is about (under 100 words) ➡️ why this story interested you ➡️ touching upon the main commercial and legal issues➡️ if possible, adding which commercial/legal direction you think the story is going to go in.

In terms of which story to pick- if you're really confused, pick a story which involves one of the firm's deals or practice areas as this will be easy for you to generate interest in from your interviewers. If you're keen on picking a macro issue, that's absolutely fine, but then again, relate it to the firm's or, more generally, a law firm's deals/practice areas/strategy.

It's a good idea to build a bank of at least 5-6 news stories that you've been following more generally and then top it up with 5 or so firm-specific deals and news. I'd recommend using the firm's website to find these!

• 🤝
    Reactions: WindowsUpdate and DTB

manifestingg

Premium Member
    Feb 9, 2022
    Is anyone worried about the cost of living crisis and firms not giving adequate maintenance grants? I’m worried I’ll have to get a job during my sqe but this will detract from my studies. Any tips? 😭

TCinpipeline

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 31, 2021
    Hi All - I am not sure if this has already been asked previously but here goes...It is not coming to me naturally to draft my answers clearly and succinctly in application forms. I know it is ideally what law firms are looking for and how the applications are set out with word limits. It can take me ages to condense a paragraph down to fewer words. Am I the only one that experiences this? Any ideas other than practising how I can improve this? And just to add that it is not my English language that is lacking, I performed very well at English language and literature at school.

WorriedSick2

Standard Member
    Oct 7, 2022
    @Jessica Booker

Hi, my firm has asked me to submit my seat preferences, and have asked for justifications for picking those seats. I wanted to ask how long these should be etc? Also, would it look bad if one justification is longer than another(they have asked for a minimum number of seats). I'd really like to do Litigation for e.g, over Corporate.

ShayAS

Standard Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 22, 2022
    If I am still signed up to a hospitality agency but the last shift I took was last year December for the work experience section of an application form would I put the end date as December 2021 or could I put present as I am still a part of them?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If I am still signed up to a hospitality agency but the last shift I took was last year December for the work experience section of an application form would I put the end date as December 2021 or could I put present as I am still a part of them?
    It will have to be your last shift.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker

Hi, my firm has asked me to submit my seat preferences, and have asked for justifications for picking those seats. I wanted to ask how long these should be etc? Also, would it look bad if one justification is longer than another(they have asked for a minimum number of seats). I'd really like to do Litigation for e.g, over Corporate.
    I'd keep it fairly short/succinct - probably doesn't need much more than 100-200 words per seat preference. Obviously, if one is slightly longer, that is fine but I wouldn't make any of them exceptionally long descriptions/explanations.

Reactions: AvniD

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    For our premium subscribers, just a note about our application review service deadlines over the Christmas break:

Kindly Note:
    Our application review service will be closed from Friday 23 December - Monday 2 January, reopening for submissions on Tuesday 3 January.

If you need your application returned to you before then, please note the final submission dates below:

For Standard Reviews - please submit by 4pm on December 20th.
    For Fast Track Reviews - please submit by 4pm on December 22nd.

Reactions: Erin

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I have already applied to a handful of firms and I did not know that you had to put your last shift. Is there anything I can do to rectify this? I do not want this to affect me in the future.
    I wouldn't worry about it at this stage. If you are invited to the next stage of the process, then contact the firms and make them aware of the last shift date.

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Is anyone worried about the cost of living crisis and firms not giving adequate maintenance grants? I’m worried I’ll have to get a job during my sqe but this will detract from my studies. Any tips? 😭
    Hi @manifestingg - I can totally understand your worry. I know a lot of firms have increased the grants by 2-3k to account for the cost of living crisis so I hope that reassures you. I also know of friends who worked part-time alongside the LPC, and while it isn't easy, it is doable. You need to ensure that you prep your week ahead and are disciplined about your studies because there isn't a lot of scope to make mistakes/fall behind when your schedule is full. Seek support from your tutors and career counsellors to understand how you can study for your classes while working at the same time and if all fails, be and present as you can in your classes and take really detailed notes that you can refer to when revising. All the best!

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hi All - I am not sure if this has already been asked previously but here goes...It is not coming to me naturally to draft my answers clearly and succinctly in application forms. I know it is ideally what law firms are looking for and how the applications are set out with word limits. It can take me ages to condense a paragraph down to fewer words. Am I the only one that experiences this? Any ideas other than practising how I can improve this? And just to add that it is not my English language that is lacking, I performed very well at English language and literature at school.
    I'm sure your proficiency in English is not the issue- it's the case that the kind of writing that is expected in application forms is simply not the type of writing you learn about at school or even uni for that matter.

It's more logical and structured. Every sentence has a point that builds upon your core argument and every point is supported by evidence of some sort.

So if you say that you like X firm ➡️ you need to substantiate this with why/what aspect do you like about the firm ➡️ provide evidence to show how you know you like this aspect ➡️ bring it together by talking about why having this aspect matters to your training.

This is only one such structure- you can adopt any structure that works for you that helps convey your message in an evidence-based manner.

I would highly recommend getting at least a couple of applications formally reviewed with us here at TCLA or with your uni counsellor or any other person/organisation you trust to understand how legal writing must be structured as this will help you understand where you can improve.

I would also recommend going through our Weekly Application Pitfalls thread here to see what James, an ex-Application Review team member, had to say about common mistakes he encountered as part of his role at TCLA.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Have you used Grammarly, Wordtune or other software before that helps with this? There are quite a few tools that you can use for succinctness that can really help with writing concisely, and many of them have free options.

• 🤝
    Reactions: TCinpipeline and AvniD

DTB

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 21, 2019
    1670786759839.png

I received this email after sincerely apologising and telling grad rec that I incorrectly put 22 instead of 77 for one module grade asking them if they can make a note of this for themselves (not to amend it in my application). Randomly going through the app after the deadline ( to copy paste the work ex into another app), I noticed the grade was still 22 even though I submitted the app twice after changing and then I freaked out. I got this response. I know I made a mistake but I was kind of shocked as in the email I had mentioned something else as well but did not get a response to that part. So I guess I should just assume I will be viewed as a failed candidate and not first class? Should just be prepared to be binned away then? I submitted the app on the last day but I really worked hard for it - 15 days on just one app because I really wanted it to be perfect. It is unfortunate that because of a stupid mistake by me I wont be considered. I am so disappointed in myself. I was wondering to get advice from @Jessica Booker on whether this is a general response and if it is indeed an indicator that the firm is not impressed and will bin me away. I am wondering if this is a general attitude amongst firms? I would love an honest opinion on this response, even if it is brutal!! Thank you so much like always!

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    View attachment 4584

I received this email after sincerely apologising and telling grad rec that I incorrectly put 22 instead of 77 for one module grade asking them if they can make a note of this for themselves (not to amend it in my application). Randomly going through the app after the deadline ( to copy paste the work ex into another app), I noticed the grade was still 22 even though I submitted the app twice after changing and then I freaked out. I got this response. I know I made a mistake but I was kind of shocked as in the email I had mentioned something else as well but did not get a response to that part. So I guess I should just assume I will be viewed as a failed candidate and not first class? Should just be prepared to be binned away then? I submitted the app on the last day but I really worked hard for it - 15 days on just one app because I really wanted it to be perfect. It is unfortunate that because of a stupid mistake by me I wont be considered. I am so disappointed in myself. I was wondering to get advice from @Jessica Booker on whether this is a general response and if it is indeed an indicator that the firm is not impressed and will bin me away. I am wondering if this is a general attitude amongst firms? I would love an honest opinion on this response, even if it is brutal!! Thank you so much like always!
    There could be an issue where they can’t make a note of the error. If they can’t change it in the app, then they might not be able to store the information of the error either.

The tone of the email isn’t great but they are probably just putting it as factually as possible to you, and that makes it come across a bit curt. I don’t think the tone is an indicator of how they will view the form as such.

I think the issue lies more with the mistake - it just sounds like there is nothing they can do in regards to it unfortunately.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.