TCLA General Discussion Thread 2022-23

DTB

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 21, 2019
    There could be an issue where they can’t make a note of the error. If they can’t change it in the app, then they might not be able to store the information of the error either.

The tone of the email isn’t great but they are probably just putting it as factually as possible to you, and that makes it come across a bit curt. I don’t think the tone is an indicator of how they will view the form as such.

I think the issue lies more with the mistake - it just sounds like there is nothing they can do in regards to it unfortunately.
    Thank you @Jessica Booker! I am always very grateful for your responses!

DTB

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 21, 2019
    There could be an issue where they can’t make a note of the error. If they can’t change it in the app, then they might not be able to store the information of the error either.

The tone of the email isn’t great but they are probably just putting it as factually as possible to you, and that makes it come across a bit curt. I don’t think the tone is an indicator of how they will view the form as such.

I think the issue lies more with the mistake - it just sounds like there is nothing they can do in regards to it unfortunately.
    Hi @Jessica Booker following this I took their WG test and I did not receive my full extra time! It was half less per what was stated in the email.. I completed the test still. I am wondering if I should email graduate recruitment and let them know or just let it be or wait for the outcome email tomorrow.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker following this I took their WG test and I did not receive my full extra time! It was half less per what was stated in the email.. I completed the test still. I am wondering if I should email graduate recruitment and let them know or just let it be or wait for the outcome email tomorrow.
    Could you contact the test provider rather than the firm?

AK105

Esteemed Member
  • Mar 7, 2021
    I did the CMS VI today. I didn’t really answer two of the questions In the right way or what they were asking.
    Has anyone ever answered the wrong question by accident in a VI and got progressed?

ab1234

Standard Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 28, 2021
    Hi @Jessica Booker

Private vs public M&A seat- question!

I will be starting a Training Contract in the new year and had a question about seat choices. In particular,
    1. What are the practical differences (in terms of trainee tasks) between doing a seat in private and public M&A?
    2. What is the difference (if any) between the work-life balance (i.e. hours) between private and public M&A (does one have a better work-life balance than the other?)

Thank you!!!

ab1234

Standard Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 28, 2021
    @shannontongg @Jaysen @Daniel Boden @Dheepa @Jake Rickman @OB

I will be starting a Training Contract in the new year and had a question about seat choices. In particular,
    1. What are the practical differences (in terms of trainee tasks) between doing a seat in private and public M&A?
    2. What is the difference (if any) between the work-life balance (i.e. hours) between private and public M&A (does one have a better work-life balance than the other?)
    Any advice would be amazing!!
    Thank you!!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker

Thank you!!!
    Unfortunately I am not best placed to answer this.

Romiras

Legendary Member
    Associate
    Apr 3, 2019
    @shannontongg @Jaysen @Daniel Boden @Dheepa @Jake Rickman @OB

Any advice would be amazing!!
    Thank you!!!
    1. In simple terms, the public M&A trainee will be intimate with the takeover code and interfacing with regulators (more so than their private M&A counterparts). However, you will likely be doing very similar things (e.g. research tasks, minutes, transaction management, legal diligence, drafting ancillaries, etc). The only real difference for the public M&A trainee is dealing with prospectus documents, etc.

2. If you're in a purely public M&A practice, you'll be really quiet right now and for the foreseeable future given the current economic climate. You may also be quite worried about job security. Realistically, you'll be brought on to assist / do private M&A and PE deals, etc. Otherwise, they both have typically similar hours and it really depends on the client. I would say that public M&A can be better since the clients are less sophisticated and generally look to you to guide the timing. Equally, less sophisticated clients can be really anxious and push you / your team arbitrarily hard and make your life living hell.

ab1234

Standard Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 28, 2021
    1. In simple terms, the public M&A trainee will be intimate with the takeover code and interfacing with regulators (more so than their private M&A counterparts). However, you will likely be doing very similar things (e.g. research tasks, minutes, transaction management, legal diligence, drafting ancillaries, etc). The only real difference for the public M&A trainee is dealing with prospectus documents, etc.

2. If you're in a purely public M&A practice, you'll be really quiet right now and for the foreseeable future given the current economic climate. You may also be quite worried about job security. Realistically, you'll be brought on to assist / do private M&A and PE deals, etc. Otherwise, they both have typically similar hours and it really depends on the client. I would say that public M&A can be better since the clients are less sophisticated and generally look to you to guide the timing. Equally, less sophisticated clients can be really anxious and push you / your team arbitrarily hard and make your life living hell.
    Hi @Romiras!

Thank you SO much for this advice- it's so helpful! Thank you for taking the time to explain everything! I really appreciate it.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    No worries at all! Was just wondering from your perspective, having worked so closely with a range of lawyers!
    As a recruiter, you don't get to see this level of comparative detail where you are not working within the teams. These types of questions are much better placed for lawyers who have experienced these types of work.

Reactions: ab1234

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi, @Jaysen @Jessica Booker

I've joined as a TCLA Bronze Member, but haven't received access to the Premium Forum yet. Could you please give me access to that, in particular the application database?

Thanks!
    Tagging in @Erin who might be able to help with this.

Reactions: Jaysen and Erin

Erin

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Operations
    Jul 13, 2022
    Hi, @Jaysen @Jessica Booker

I've joined as a TCLA Bronze Member, but haven't received access to the Premium Forum yet. Could you please give me access to that, in particular the application database?

Thanks!
    Hi Callum,

I'm so happy to hear that you're now a premium member - welcome to TCLA!

I have amended your permissions so you will now have full access to all of the premium bronze features, you can access the application database here. 😊

ShayAS

Standard Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 22, 2022
    I have recently started a new job (last week) and I want to add it to the work experience section for an application but I don’t exactly know what to say since I’m still training.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.