TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltt_12

Star Member
Oct 21, 2021
For CC's app on the education section, it states "Please upload any Transcripts you have on the Attachments page of this application". Is this necessary at this stage/have people generally done this?

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
For CC's app on the education section, it states "Please upload any Transcripts you have on the Attachments page of this application". Is this necessary at this stage/have people generally done this?
Hi @ltt_12,

My advice would be, if the firm has asked you to upload a transcript, definitely do.

I recently came across this post by Laura Yeates (Head of Graduate Talent at CC) which reflected on a batch of Training Contract applications that she had reviewed. Might be really useful reading for anyone applying to CC this year!

Do reach out if you would like any more advice/help!

jv1999

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Aug 11, 2021
Hi guys. For the Sidley question 'Which personal qualities make a successful lawyer?', would you recommend stating X qualities and explain why they make a successful lawyer or would you go a step further and explain why you have them or how you have developed them (that would make you a successful lawyer...).

Also, would you recommend stating (for example) 3 qualities and elaborating on them or try to list more to show that you understand all the key competencies expected for a successful lawyer? Sidley say they are looking for applicants with X qualities that I am aiming to use to inform the qualities I pick out for the question but they list 5 or 6.

ltt_12

Star Member
Oct 21, 2021
Hi @ltt_12,

My advice would be, if the firm has asked you to upload a transcript, definitely do.

I recently came across this post by Laura Yeates (Head of Graduate Talent at CC) which reflected on a batch of Training Contract applications that she had reviewed. Might be really useful reading for anyone applying to CC this year!

Do reach out if you would like any more advice/help!
Thanks for this response George! On another point, have a small/particular question - when inputing Module grades, it just says "year". If I took the subject in the academic year of 2020/2021 for example, should I write down the year I started the module (2020) or the year i finished it/sat the exam (2021)? Sorry if this is an obvious point!

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Thanks for this response George! On another point, have a small/particular question - when inputing Module grades, it just says "year". If I took the subject in the academic year of 2020/2021 for example, should I write down the year I started the module (2020) or the year i finished it/sat the exam (2021)? Sorry if this is an obvious point!
Absolutely no worries, happy to help @ltt_12 :)

Personally I would put 2020/21 if you can. If not, I would put the year you took the exam. Others may disagree but this is what I did when I was applying!

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
I’ve just been offered the Slaughter and May winter workshop! Over the moon as I was really down about my Linklaters rejection today and my HSF one a couple of weeks ago. Definitely thought it was my weakest application as well!
Congratulations - this is a great achievement! It goes to show just how random and draining this process is for all of us. It is those with resilience like yourself who start to see some positive results :)

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Hey guys, I was recently rejected from A&O post AC and have been rejected from one other firm at AC (albeit a firm not near the stature of A&O). I was wondering how many AC's some of the future trainees had before they were successful? I am a little worried, as I seem to struggle with them. In addition, due to personal circumstances, I have only made three applications so far this cycle (one of them A&O) and whilst I'm hoping to get another two away this month, it starting to seem unlikely I will get something this cycle.
Try not to compare yourself to others because so much luck comes into it. Whilst I did well in ACs on the whole, I didn't do well at all on vac schemes! I know other future trainees who were the complete opposite from me and did 10+ ACs only to get one vac scheme and then convert it. You are clearly doing something right if you have only made three applications this cycle and have reached AC stage in two of them - I don't know about your personal circumstances but I will say that I submitted almost the entirety of my applications throughout December and January last year so you have plenty of time remaining to get apps in :)

kmax301

Esteemed Member
Feb 3, 2021
Hi, has anyone received a PFO from Bird&Bird post application? They send that they send PFO's as well as emails about successful applications. However, I was wondering if they send PO's right at the moment when they read and evaluate your application. Cheers.

atrumregina1

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 5, 2021
    Anybody who hasn't heard from the below?

-Clyde WVS post VI (I am assuming PFO but just to make sure I'm not the only one left hanging)
    -NRF Spring VS post app (no WG has been sent to me and I applied 13/11)
    -Reed Smith pre-SJT (again applied 14/11) and heard nothing since I submitted the app

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    When writing a cover letter which is addressed to the graduate recruitment team, do you use yours sincerely or yours faithfully to sign off? I get that YF is for when you don't know their name, but not sure which is best in this instance? TIA!!
    Yours sincerely is always a safe option in my experience.
    I think @AvniD is correct that you can never go wrong with 'yours sincerely'. Technically, as you do not know the specific person's name to whom you are writing, you should write 'yours faithfully' but it really will not be too important which you choose.

I always learnt that if you don't know their name you can't be sincere, so you have to go on faith that the right person ends up reading it 🤣

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.