TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Anybody who hasn't heard from the below?

-Clyde WVS post VI (I am assuming PFO but just to make sure I'm not the only one left hanging)
    -NRF Spring VS post app (no WG has been sent to me and I applied 13/11)
    -Reed Smith pre-SJT (again applied 14/11) and heard nothing since I submitted the app
    Submitted Reed Smith application last Monday and no SJT test invite.

Reactions: atrumregina1

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    Ok that’s fair, thank you. But it’s ok to just give that background briefly? It’s not an application question that’s asking me to distinguish between the London and other offices?
    I think it's worth adding briefly that you understand how London is a commercial centre and will expose you to a greater variety of international work etc. with a reason why those things may be of benefit to you. I don't think you need to worry too much though about how much detail you go into!

Law2022

Legendary Member
    May 3, 2020
    Anybody who hasn't heard from the below?

-Clyde WVS post VI (I am assuming PFO but just to make sure I'm not the only one left hanging)
    -NRF Spring VS post app (no WG has been sent to me and I applied 13/11)
    -Reed Smith pre-SJT (again applied 14/11) and heard nothing since I submitted the app
    I’m still waiting on Clyde too! People have offers for the scheme so I’m just waiting for my PFO too

Reactions: atrumregina1

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    Hi everyone, I am applying to CRS and one of the questions asks 'which achievement are you most proud of and why?'. My proudest achievement is leaving an abusive relationship and bringing up my son as a very young single parent. Is this appropriate or should I got for something employment related/academic instead?

This is my first cycle and not exactly sure what firms are looking for.

Thanks!
    I think this is an excellent example if you can talk about it in an uplifting way! These kinds of life experiences demonstrate that you really have what it takes to withstand the difficulties of a career in commercial law over and above good academics or work experience and this is certainly not an inappropriate topic to broach. That said, you should take time crafting your answer so that it is clear how you have gone from strength to strength as a result of your achievement, as opposed to simply dwelling on how bad everything was before you made the decision. You should try to make sure you are showing pride and not just relief or regret for the time you spent in the relationship. I hope that helps!

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 25, 2019
    PFO from A&O direct TC - they offered me an AC for the summer scheme instead as they said I didn't have enough legal experience but I had LPC exams that clashed and so they said they would consider me for the direct Tc instead but have just gotten the rejection email - I'm really upset and annoyed because if it weren't for the LPC exams, I could have genuinely had a shot at A&O
    I also wanted to ask how much legal experience firms expect for direct TC - I was a legal intern for 3 months over the summer at a global bank but perhaps they're looking for law firm work experience?

ps123

Star Member
    Oct 15, 2021
    does anyone have any idea if you can read anything into open day application outcomes and your vacation schemes, ie. can you view an open day acceptance as a positive indication if you're already a few stages into an application process (and the opposite of course)?

xtinew

Distinguished Member
  • Mar 15, 2021
    does anyone have any idea if you can read anything into open day application outcomes and your vacation schemes, ie. can you view an open day acceptance as a positive indication if you're already a few stages into an application process (and the opposite of course)?

From my experience solely: last year I successfully applied to many open days but the success rate did not necessarily reflect that of my vacation scheme applications. I think the better perspective to have is that the open day not only demonstrates your commitment to learning more about the firm, you can also gather more information from those networking opportunities to mention in your interviews (e.g. name drop trainees and mention interesting cases).

Reactions: kat_

M777

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 15, 2019
    Having been rejected by every single firm I've attended an Open Day at (in one cycle or another), they definitely don't indicate much in the way of positivity for that firm.

That being said, Open Days are a positive sign that your application technique is good- why would a firm invest in you as an Open Day candidate if they didn't see potential? Open Days are more competitive than many assume, so it's definitely encouraging.

I'm sure this doesn't need to be said, but they also demonstrate a real, authentic interest in the firm as well as a fascination with commercial law more generally.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thanks for this response George! On another point, have a small/particular question - when inputing Module grades, it just says "year". If I took the subject in the academic year of 2020/2021 for example, should I write down the year I started the module (2020) or the year i finished it/sat the exam (2021)? Sorry if this is an obvious point!
    Use the year the course/module/assessment ended.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi guys. For the Sidley question 'Which personal qualities make a successful lawyer?', would you recommend stating X qualities and explain why they make a successful lawyer or would you go a step further and explain why you have them or how you have developed them (that would make you a successful lawyer...).

Also, would you recommend stating (for example) 3 qualities and elaborating on them or try to list more to show that you understand all the key competencies expected for a successful lawyer? Sidley say they are looking for applicants with X qualities that I am aiming to use to inform the qualities I pick out for the question but they list 5 or 6.
    Given the word count, I would just focus on the qualities and why they are important. If you are going to try and reference how you have done this, you have to do it exceptionally briefly (e.g. in a sentence).

I would go over quality answers rather than trying to put in too much content with detail skipped over.

Reactions: jv1999
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.