TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicole15

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Aug 22, 2018
    Same here, really losing hope for a career in one of these big firms. I have no issues getting on open days, but when it comes to vac schemes/ TCs, I get rejected from them all!
    I understand how you feel. It can be very frustrating but do remember to celebrate your 'small wins'. Getting a place on an open day is no walk in the park, it is super competitive! I would make sure that you write detailed notes on your experiences at these various firms which will help to bolster your applications when it comes to explaining your motivations behind applying for a chosen firm.

I haven't obtained a vac scheme or TC yet and have been at this for some years now. However, that I know my time will come and so will yours! It is matter of when, not if. I strongly believe that your resilience will lead to fruitful results! At the end of the day, you want to be at a firm that is right for you and you only need one "yes". I think the great thing about this forum is we can be honest and share our experiences while learning from one another as well as encouraging each other!

The application process can be extremely draining at times, so it is important to take breaks when do feel burnt out or slightly de-motivated. Rest, re-charge and have another go! Wishing you all the best of luck :)

bibss

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 28, 2020
    PFO from A&O direct TC - they offered me an AC for the summer scheme instead as they said I didn't have enough legal experience but I had LPC exams that clashed and so they said they would consider me for the direct Tc instead but have just gotten the rejection email - I'm really upset and annoyed because if it weren't for the LPC exams, I could have genuinely had a shot at A&O
    I also wanted to ask how much legal experience firms expect for direct TC - I was a legal intern for 3 months over the summer at a global bank but perhaps they're looking for law firm work experience?
    Wow that’s mad!!! Guess I have a PFO coming my way then as I don’t have much legal experience either🤣 Wish they would just say it then like other firms do 😅😢

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    PFO from A&O direct TC - they offered me an AC for the summer scheme instead as they said I didn't have enough legal experience but I had LPC exams that clashed and so they said they would consider me for the direct Tc instead but have just gotten the rejection email - I'm really upset and annoyed because if it weren't for the LPC exams, I could have genuinely had a shot at A&O
    I also wanted to ask how much legal experience firms expect for direct TC - I was a legal intern for 3 months over the summer at a global bank but perhaps they're looking for law firm work experience?
    I'd call them to ask why the change of heart. Part of me thinks this could be a human error and that it might just be worthwhile checking with them.

Law2022

Legendary Member
    May 3, 2020
    I understand how you feel. It can be very frustrating but do remember to celebrate your 'small wins'. Getting a place on an open day is no walk in the park, it is super competitive! I would make sure that you write detailed notes on your experiences at these various firms which will help to bolster your applications when it comes to explaining your motivations behind applying for a chosen firm.

I haven't obtained a vac scheme or TC yet and have been at this for some years now. However, that I know my time will come and so will yours! It is matter of when, not if. I strongly believe that your resilience will lead to fruitful results! At the end of the day, you want to be at a firm that is right for you and you only need one "yes". I think the great thing about this forum is we can be honest and share our experiences while learning from one another as well as encouraging each other!

The application process can be extremely draining at times, so it is important to take breaks when do feel burnt out or slightly de-motivated. Rest, re-charge and have another go! Wishing you all the best of luck :)
    Thank you so much for your kind words! It really means so much. I am wishing you all the luck in the world and I hope you get your TC offer soon! Good luck and take care :)

Nicole15

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 22, 2018
    Thank you so much for your kind words! It really means so much. I am wishing you all the luck in the world and I hope you get your TC offer soon! Good luck and take care :)
    My pleasure, I'm glad that my words provided some comfort. Thank you so much, it is much appreciated! :)

Miki3999

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Jun 2, 2019
    I'd call them to ask why the change of heart. Part of me thinks this could be a human error and that it might just be worthwhile checking with them.
    This made me wonder, because I had a similar issue with SM. I had an interview there but it was my first interview and went very bad because I was so nervous. I knew they have that policy that once you fail at the interview stage you cannot reapply, unless there is a big change in your circumstances. Since that rejection I improved a lot and even won a prize in the Slaughter's essay competition, so they invited me to their office for the prize give out and there I spoke with the head of GR, who told me that, given my improvement, I could reapply, but also that I should explain in the cover letter how I've improved. So I did all that...and got a pfo. I am now wondering whether this might have been some error as well.. I was too shy (or ashamed) to call them and ask what happened. :(

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    mine was 17 days ago as well. I emailed GR and they responded that they would let me know the outcome by the end of last week. I don't really want to call/email them again and push it but it's slightly frustrating lol
    @jv1999,

I really empathise with you on this. As best you possibly can, try not to think about it. Given that it is a matter of time until you find out, I would wait until the end of this week and if you have not then heard anything, email them to make sure that you have not missed any correspondence from the firm (as they said that they would let you know at the end of last week).

I know these things are easier said than done though. Just remember that following up will not make a tangible difference to the outcome.

On a slightly different note: if you do hear positive news, please do ask if you are unsure about anything! W&C were one of the firms I completed a vac scheme with and I would be more than happy to help!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    This made me wonder, because I had a similar issue with SM. I had an interview there but it was my first interview and went very bad because I was so nervous. I knew they have that policy that once you fail at the interview stage you cannot reapply, unless there is a big change in your circumstances. Since that rejection I improved a lot and even won a prize in the Slaughter's essay competition, so they invited me to their office for the prize give out and there I spoke with the head of GR, who told me that, given my improvement, I could reapply, but also that I should explain in the cover letter how I've improved. So I did all that...and got a pfo. I am now wondering whether this might have been some error as well.. I was too shy (or ashamed) to call them and ask what happened. :(
    This is slightly different from the other post as you weren't told you had secured an interview, you were just told you could reapply. Slaughters were not giving you any guarantee of an interview, just advice that they thought you could be in a good position if you did reapply. With the other poster, they were told they had an interview.

Reactions: Miki3999

jv1999

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Aug 11, 2021
    @jv1999,

I really empathise with you on this. As best you possibly can, try not to think about it. Given that it is a matter of time until you find out, I would wait until the end of this week and if you have not then heard anything, email them to make sure that you have not missed any correspondence from the firm (as they said that they would let you know at the end of last week).

I know these things are easier said than done though. Just remember that following up will not make a tangible difference to the outcome.

On a slightly different note: if you do hear positive news, please do ask if you are unsure about anything! W&C were one of the firms I completed a vac scheme with and I would be more than happy to help!
    Thanks George - really appreciate this!

I'm actually managing to not be too stressed. My bigger issue is having my phone on loud next to me while I'm working so that I don't miss them if they call me.

Reactions: George Maxwell

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    Thanks George - really appreciate this!

I'm actually managing to not be too stressed. My bigger issue is having my phone on loud next to me while I'm working so that I don't miss them if they call me.
    You are absolutely welcome @jv1999.

I again completely empathise with this. From memory, I did not get called by W&C until I received my training contract offer. So unless this has changed (or perhaps they want to reach out to you for something specific), they are likely to email you (as they did when I was applying!).

Looking back, personally I think that keeping my phone on loud and worrying about missing 'the call' only notched up my stress levels.

Hypothetically, if you were to miss them, you can always phone them back(!). It will not mean that your offer will get cancelled. From experience, I missed my training contract offer phonecall from HSF when they first tried me!

• 🏆
    Reactions: Hele25, AvniD and jv1999

AspiringTrainee

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 22, 2021
    mine was 17 days ago as well. I emailed GR and they responded that they would let me know the outcome by the end of last week. I don't really want to call/email them again and push it but it's slightly frustrating lol
    I phoned on Friday as they said the same thing they assured me everyone would hear today/tomorrow so if they don’t - maybe call tomorrow?

Reactions: jv1999

rose888

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 19, 2021
    Hi everyone, does anyone know if HSF's summer vac scheme is rolling? Also, for our topic of choice, if we include specific facts or statistics, do we need to cite or mention the source in any way?

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 25, 2019
    Thank you for your reply jessica! I'll call them tomorrow to check - they did mention that I'd only been offered an AC if I transferred to the summer scheme so I am assuming I just wasn't good enough in comparison to those that were applying for direct training contracts and therefore not offered an AC in relation to that. It's frustrating as I could have taken the summer vs AC and then told them about my clashing exams had I been successful, in which case, I feel like they may have been more lenient in considering me for direct TC?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.