TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pfoapplicant

Esteemed Member
Dec 7, 2020
@Jessica Booker
@Jaysen

Apologies for the duplicate post - I just had a couple of questions about the Skadden application form, and am fairly desperate to send off the application by the end of today (given the rolling basis on which applications are reviewed):

1. It asks students to give "secondary schools" attended - given that there is no point in the form where it asks students to list their sixth form, I assume that "secondary schools", for this purpose, includes the sixth form where I took my A Levels?
2. On the question asking for "significant gaps in your academic/employment history", does a gap year count as such a gap, and if so, do you think candidates would be expected to write anything other than the fact they had a gap year, and the dates this gap year took place?
3. On the cover letter, given that there's a word limit of just 300 words, do you reckon it'd be okay to leave out the sender's and recipient's address, the paragraph at the start where I state my name and my degree, and the paragraph before the "yours faithfully" bit where I thank the recruiter for taking the time to read my application?

Cheers in advance - I'd be really grateful for some pointers!

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
@Jessica Booker
@Jaysen

Apologies for the duplicate post - I just had a couple of questions about the Skadden application form, and am fairly desperate to send off the application by the end of today (given the rolling basis on which applications are reviewed):

1. It asks students to give "secondary schools" attended - given that there is no point in the form where it asks students to list their sixth form, I assume that "secondary schools", for this purpose, includes the sixth form where I took my A Levels?
2. On the question asking for "significant gaps in your academic/employment history", does a gap year count as such a gap, and if so, do you think candidates would be expected to write anything other than the fact they had a gap year, and the dates this gap year took place?
3. On the cover letter, given that there's a word limit of just 300 words, do you reckon it'd be okay to leave out the sender's and recipient's address, the paragraph at the start where I state my name and my degree, and the paragraph before the "yours faithfully" bit where I thank the recruiter for taking the time to read my application?

I do not know for points 1 and 2 but point 3 I would straight answer the questions because you only 300 words.

Reactions: pfoapplicant

SCN

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 20, 2020
This question has probably been asked to death but I couldn't find the answer on the various forums aha. When listing work experience, should you list in reverse chronological according to start or end date? For example, if listing by end date, an experience you started in 2015 but still doing right now would come before an experience you did last year and ended last year?

futuretraineecity

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Mar 2, 2020
This question has probably been asked to death but I couldn't find the answer on the various forums aha. When listing work experience, should you list in reverse chronological according to start or end date? For example, if listing by end date, an experience you started in 2015 but still doing right now would come before an experience you did last year and ended last year?
Not 100% sure but I always do by end date!

Reactions: Bonolaw

CC03

Valued Member
Nov 24, 2021
Approximately how long does it take to complete the test Capp assessment (Linklaters)? and Irwin Mitchell test?
Linklaters can take between 30 minutes to 75 minutes. Would recommend taking your time as it consists of scenarios and you will need to read couple emails, briefs etc..

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker
@Jaysen

1) Yes - I would assume this is your A-level education as well.

2) I would include a gap year in this. You should explain what you did in that gap year as well as when it was. Because many people take gap years and don’t actively work or study, it’s good to cover off what you did during that time to show you made the most of that period.

3)Skadden asks you to address their application to either to Graduate Recruitment or to Mathieu Pinto Cardoso, so although it’s ok to not include addresses, I would make sure you include an appropriate introduction.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Yes - reverse chronological order with the most recent entry first is the most appropriate way of doing it, and you calculate this by end date.

golden99

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 1, 2021
I got 63% percentile in Linklaters watson glaser. Do you guys think that could be enough? (Be great to hear from people who have applied before/already applied this year)

Really annoying as I got 96% in Hogan lovells last year😭

hopefullylaw2000

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 11, 2020
I got 63% percentile in Linklaters watson glaser. Do you guys think that could be enough? (Be great to hear from people who have applied before/already applied this year)

I got 56% last year (got 30/40) and got through toAC! Think they put a lot of it on your CAPP test!:)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

Percentiles will often vary even in the same test. For instance, even if they are identical tests, for Linklaters you can be benchmarked again partners in law firms, while at Hogan Lovells you could be benchmarked against 16 year olds with no legal training. This would result in different percentile rankings (rather than a % pass mark). Firms tend to have slightly different weighting on different sections of the WG test though which could also result in very different results.

From previous posts, it seems people with a percentile ranking in the high 20s have got through to interview before with Linklaters, so I don't think it is anything to worry about.

pfoapplicant

Esteemed Member
Dec 7, 2020
1) Yes - I would assume this is your A-level education as well.

2) I would include a gap year in this. You should explain what you did in that gap year as well as when it was. Because many people take gap years and don’t actively work or study, it’s good to cover off what you did during that time to show you made the most of that period.

3)Skadden asks you to address their application to either to Graduate Recruitment or to Mathieu Pinto Cardoso, so although it’s ok to not include addresses, I would make sure you include an appropriate introduction.
Thanks for the advice! By "appropriate introduction", would you say that Dear Graduate Recruitment would suffice, or are you talking about a sentence following on from that?

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Thanks for the advice! By "appropriate introduction", would you say that Dear Graduate Recruitment would suffice, or are you talking about a sentence following on from that?
That's a good question,

@Jessica Booker would write something like "Dear Mathieu, I am a paralegal with x years experience applying.." or just Dear Mathieu I am applying to Skadden because xyz"

Reactions: pfoapplicant
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.