TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

elizabethjo123

Star Member
Jan 7, 2021
Does anyone know if HSF winter vac scheme recruits on a rolling basis? Feeling slightly stressed as the deadline is the 1st of October but I want to make sure my application is of high quality rather than rushing it. Not sure why their application window is so short! Also, did anyone find out for sure if A+O is non-rolling?

Reactions: Asil Ahmad

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone know if HSF winter vac scheme recruits on a rolling basis? Feeling slightly stressed as the deadline is the 1st of October but I want to make sure my application is of high quality rather than rushing it. Not sure why their application window is so short! Also, did anyone find out for sure if A+O is non-rolling?
If the programme starts in December, it’s not overly surprising it is an early deadline. It can take 4-6 weeks to do the recruitment process which would take it to mid November anyway, and then the scheme could start 4 weeks later.

I’d apply even if it is rolling. Applications are still open, so you’ll still in with a chance.

ZaraB

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 13, 2020
They are non rolling! I spoke to the grad rev at one of their summer events and they confirmed it then

Reactions: ELaw2021 and OB

syw

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • May 29, 2019
    Hi does anyone have any tips on what to put for various open days you've attended in the work experience section? I.e do people generally put about what they've learned etc (brief)?

Veep9

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    The website says the question are these:
    1. Introduce us to a topic you know about and explain why it interests you
    2. Explain why you’re interested in pursuing a career at Herbert Smith Freehills
    3. What skills, qualities and attributes would you bring to the role?

My account is locked too so take these with a pinch of salt

Why is all our accounts locked -_- like what's happening with HSF? LOL

Just got my account back and thank you very much and these are the questions.
    How did you guys get your HSF accounts unlocked? I tried "forgot my pw" but that just tells me again that my account is locked.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi does anyone have any tips on what to put for various open days you've attended in the work experience section? I.e do people generally put about what they've learned etc (brief)?
    I’d just list them, and provide a summary of the key learning from them as a whole. You don’t need to describe them really.

Reactions: syw

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    How did you guys get your HSF accounts unlocked? I tried "forgot my pw" but that just tells me again that my account is locked.
    I requested a password reset but that did not work straight away so waited a few hours then it was ok by the evening on that day. Also don't stress too much about it as the application questions you know about and also tomorrow email grad recruitment if it is not fixed.

Reactions: Veep9

kitty_kat

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jun 10, 2020
    Hi everyone, if one of my work experiences was in research (i.e., my task was only to complete a research paper in a team and present it), is it alright if I used the STAR method very briefly (e.g., I delegated tasks, motivated team members)? Or is using STAR for this particular work experience unnecessary and I should just say that I completed a research paper in a team.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone, if one of my work experiences was in research (i.e., my task was only to complete a research paper in a team and present it), is it alright if I used the STAR method very briefly (e.g., I delegated tasks, motivated team members)? Or is using STAR for this particular work experience unnecessary and I should just say that I completed a research paper in a team.
    STAR is only really appropriate for competency questions where you have to identify a particular competency and focus on explaining a time you developed/experienced that.

You should still talk about your responsibilities and outputs though.

Reactions: kitty_kat

hopefullawyer101

Legendary Member
    Feb 25, 2021
    For the question about who you know at the law firm, are you able to cite people you have independently reached out and contacted? I have done a lot of outreach via LinkedIn to trainees, in order to really understand the culture of the firm, does this count?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    For the question about who you know at the law firm, are you able to cite people you have independently reached out and contacted? I have done a lot of outreach via LinkedIn to trainees, in order to really understand the culture of the firm, does this count?
    I'd probably mention the person you have had most interaction with rather than everyone.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.