TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veep9

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    Has anyone applied to Bird & Bird for Spring and just not heard anything? I applied end October/first week November I think, so wondering if my application has just been lost.

kmax301

Esteemed Member
    Feb 3, 2021
    I’m not sure but on the job board there are separate vacancies for the 2023 and 2024 TC.

I wouldn’t read into why you haven’t heard back yet - they’re a small grad rec with so many schemes/initiatives on the go. They simply may have not even started looking at 2024 TCs yet!
    Now im genuinely curious about the 2023 intake! I’d like to apply for 2023 but I’ve never seen this option (I’m not going to do it now but I'm asking so that in the future I do not lose an opportunity again). Where should a look?
    Got a fairly positive feedback report on the Reed Smith SJT but was told today I failed? Baffled
    I’m sorry to hear that. May I ask you for which scheme you applied?

Anoned

Distinguished Member
    Nov 1, 2021

SCN

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 20, 2020
    How do you get better at passing SJTs? I always pass WG but SJTs are a nightmare
    I would look at what trainees are allowed to do/not allowed to do. For example, the question might ask how you would react to a client asking you to amend and send back documents, and your first reaction might be to complete it as asked and send. But as a trainee, your work is checked by an associate so the more appropriate answer would be to draft the changes and get someone to check it before sending. So, what might seem like the "right" answer (like it makes you seem proactive, engaged and intelligent) might actually be ineffective!

Reactions: WillF

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    I would look at what trainees are allowed to do/not allowed to do. For example, the question might ask how you would react to a client asking you to amend and send back documents, and your first reaction might be to complete it as asked and send. But as a trainee, your work is checked by an associate so the more appropriate answer would be to draft the changes and get someone to check it before sending. So, what might seem like the "right" answer (like it makes you seem proactive, engaged and intelligent) might actually be ineffective!
    This reminded me of an SJT I just did! definitely agree with that rationale as often the “right” answers feel counterintuitive.

• 🤝
    Reactions: SCN
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.