TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

21wajsz

Legendary Member
  • Dec 3, 2020
    Hi! Does A&O sent out AC invites in batches? If not, how long does it usually take to be informed if you’ve progressed/rejected after passing the benchmark for the test! Received the email i passed the test on 23rd Nov.

Reactions: bibss

bibss

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 28, 2020
    Hi! Does A&O sent out AC invites in batches? If not, how long does it usually take to be informed if you’ve progressed/rejected after passing the benchmark for the test! Received the email i passed the test on 23rd Nov.
    Been waiting since 21st November as well and no news just yet 🙃 From what I’ve read online, they are quite slow and really take their time

• Wow
    Reactions: CC03 and 21wajsz

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    How do you get better at passing SJTs? I always pass WG but SJTs are a nightmare
    Honestly, the easiest thing to do is pretend you’re a trainee on the job.

What’s helped me is to stop seeing the 1-5 as a black and white scale. For example, I used to think putting the most ‘collaborative’ answer was the ‘right’ answer because that’s what the firm wanted. So I would put (1) as that and then base the other 4 off what appears to be most collaborative > slightly less collaborative > not collaborative > independence etc. In reality though, it may make more sense to put an ‘independent’ looking option somewhere in the middle if that’s statement is actually what you’d do because it makes sense to (pretending you’re a trainee).

TLDR: Answer honestly and not what you think looks like the ‘right’ answer!

• 🏆
    Reactions: AvniD and SCN

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I'm confused, does 20th percentile mean that only 20% of applicants do better or are equal to you, or does it mean that you are in the bottom 20% of applicants.

I see people use the two interchangeably and it has always confused me!
    20th percentile would mean 80% of people you are being benchmarked against have done better than you. It doesn’t necessarily mean that you are being benchmarked against other candidates though - sometimes firms use other groups to assess you against.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    SJT advice:

- You have to think what is the most efficient way of dealing with something (not just you working harder/longer)

- You have to think about mitigating risks

- You have to think about who is best placed to do the work to the highest of standards

- You have to think about what is the best outcome for the client.

They are the only common themes in law firms’ SJTs. Everything else can be quite bespoke and based on the firms values/strategy etc.

kmax301

Esteemed Member
    Feb 3, 2021
    I’m not sure but on the job board there are separate vacancies for the 2023 and 2024 TC.

I wouldn’t read into why you haven’t heard back yet - they’re a small grad rec with so many schemes/initiatives on the go. They simply may have not even started looking at 2024 TCs yet!
    Hi, just received the test. Thanks for not letting my hope die😅

CC03

Valued Member
    Nov 24, 2021
    Does A&O send a confirmation email after you complete the SJT? I completed mine this afternoon and not received anything from them yet :confused:
    No they do not provide confirmation emails. At the end of the test you will get something saying “thank you for completing the test....” that acts as the confirmation :)

Also you should receive an update (pass or fail) literally 24 hours after you completed the test!

• 🤝
    Reactions: F99

F99

Legendary Member
    Dec 1, 2021
    Sorry, not sure of the answer to this! Also, when did you complete the test, if you don't mind me asking?

CC03

Valued Member
    Nov 24, 2021
    I know some people who have waited over 2 months to hear back and others 3 weeks. So it depends!

• Wow
    Reactions: 21wajsz

F99

Legendary Member
    Dec 1, 2021
    No they do not provide confirmation emails. At the end of the test you will get something saying “thank you for completing the test....” that acts as the confirmation :)

Also you should receive an update (pass or fail) literally 24 hours after you completed the test!
    Great, thanks so much! And I guess only if you pass the benchmark will they move you onto app review stage?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.