TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    If in an interview, you are asked how would you respond to a fellow trainee being rude to support staff, how would one approach that?

My initial reaction is to chat to the trainee, and politely explain that their actions are impacting others, and perhaps if they reconsider what they say. Though I'm not sure if it's more multi-dimensional than that?

Any perspective would be appreciated.

I think you're on the right track here but my gut instinct would be to actually just ask the trainee and the support staff in question what happened first. You don't want to talk to someone about what they should/should not have done before having all the information.

Reactions: hrb_pg

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hey, so if a firm asks to describe the nature of work in 150 words, how should I go about it? Bullet point is better or is paragraph better? Can someone give me a hypothetical example? or any websites/pages where I can get to know more about how to write work experience?

I would still aim to write in full prose/a paragraph. Just try to keep it as concise as possible and only focus on highlighting the biggest projects/responsibilities you took on. There are some much longer examples on this thread but hopefully it gives you some ideas!

PM2021

Star Member
    Dec 18, 2020
    I would still aim to write in full prose/a paragraph. Just try to keep it as concise as possible and only focus on highlighting the biggest projects/responsibilities you took on. There are some much longer examples on this thread but hopefully it gives you some ideas!
    Yes this was helpful, thanks a lot!

PM2021

Star Member
    Dec 18, 2020
    Please tell us about a recent news article that interests you and how this relates to Ashurst? (300 words max) *

How are the others addressing this question?
    I was thinking of writing about a recently introduced law and how Ashurst has dealt with it. Is that a good approach?

ZaraB

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 13, 2020
    I was just filling in my work experience for HSF and the format seems to be m/d/yyyy. I haven't encountered this format before and it seems like the website has a US format. Do I fill it out as m/d/yyyy or the UK version of d/m/yyyy?

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Guys for HSF can I discuss a deal in my application that the firm worked on in 2008. Is that too far back or is it okay if I can show my interest in that deal.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    I was just filling in my work experience for HSF and the format seems to be m/d/yyyy. I haven't encountered this format before and it seems like the website has a US format. Do I fill it out as m/d/yyyy or the UK version of d/m/yyyy?
    I would just fill it out as the website indicates. Maybe try reloading the page and seeing if it changes it back to the U.K. format, if it doesn’t just stick to what it says tbh!

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Guys for HSF can I discuss a deal in my application that the firm worked on in 2008. Is that too far back or is it okay if I can show my interest in that deal.
    Hey Asil, first off I’d maybe avoid mentioning a deal entirely unless it really justifies your interest in the firm and it’s different practice areas. If you do decide to mention a deal, try to find something more recent, I would say that 2008 is too far back

• Love
    Reactions: OB and Asil Ahmad

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Hey Asil, first off I’d maybe avoid mentioning a deal entirely unless it really justifies your interest in the firm and it’s different practice areas. If you do decide to mention a deal, try to find something more recent, I would say that 2008 is too far back
    Thank you very much for this it is really helpful and appreciate your advice.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If in an interview, you are asked how would you respond to a fellow trainee being rude to support staff, how would one approach that?

My initial reaction is to chat to the trainee, and politely explain that their actions are impacting others, and perhaps if they reconsider what they say. Though I'm not sure if it's more multi-dimensional than that?

Any perspective would be appreciated.
    Sorry for the delay on this.

You’d need to explore some of the detail more. There is an assumption that their actions are impacting others, or that that tone is set by the trainee. It might be better to speak to the support staff first rather than the trainee due to how you are reading the situation (not how the people involved are)

Reactions: hrb_pg

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Always go with what they are asking you to complete. The system is most likely a global recruitment platform which may default to US date format.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Please tell us about a recent news article that interests you and how this relates to Ashurst? (300 words max) *

How are the others addressing this question?
    I was thinking of writing about a recently introduced law and how Ashurst has dealt with it. Is that a good approach?
    If it truly interests you, then use a good approach

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Thank you very much for this and how far is okay for mentioned a deal is 2015 too far.
    I’d still say that’s a bit too far back. Their Soundcloud has some podcasts breaking down recent cases/deals with the partners and associates who worked on them!

y1112

Standard Member
    Jun 21, 2021
    Hi guys, is there a work experience section for the HSF Winter VS application? I'm reviewing my application now before I submit but I can't seem to find it - was worried I'd missed/skipped it.

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Hi guys, is there a work experience section for the HSF Winter VS application? I'm reviewing my application now before I submit but I can't seem to find it - was worried I'd missed/skipped it.
    Yes it's right after the application questions :)

Reactions: ZaraB
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.