TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi everyone! Made it to the telephone interview with NRF. I’ve never had a telephone interview before- would appreciate any tips please.
Congratulations!! 🥳🥳🥳

https://classes.thecorporatelawacad...-guide-to-training-contract/lectures/35978368 ⬅️ I'd use this link to practice competency and character-based questions.

I'd also practice maintaining an even tone while speaking- you can do this either by recording yourself or practising with someone to guide you where you're rushing and how you can get back to an even delivery.

I'd also keep some notes handy for some key questions like why you, why commercial law, why this firm and also some common questions on time management, teamwork and leadership. Tagging @George Maxwell for his thoughts as well!

I got an email yesterday from Slaughter and May inviting me to interview. It is my first application cycle so I haven't done an interview before, any tips on the S&M interview would be appreciated!
Very, very well done! 👏👏👏

Including some links and tips below-
  • Jaysen's interview advice- https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....advice-sorry-for-another-thread.467/post-1803
  • Jacob's guide to interviews- https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....rviews-monday-article-series.3286/#post-61661
  • My top tips for an interview-
    • PRACTICE- This question bank was my holy grail and I practised almost every single question in it, even if it was just by making a quick mental note of how I would structure and deliver my answer. I would suggest practising with someone else so that they can tell you where your tone sounds off, where you're rushing and if you're delivering your content convincingly.
    • PREPARE- You should have solid, evidenced answers for why you, why commercial law and why this firm ready to go. Also consider preparing answers to common questions like Always link your motivations back to your research ➕ initiative to find out more about a career in commercial law experiences that demonstrate why you would make a good commercial lawyer at that firm.
    • PREDICT- Look at your application and try to predict what will jump out to an interviewer as being unique to you- certain work experiences, grades (good or bad!), breaks in your study/career, whether you're an international applicant, career changer, certain interests of yours etc. and prepare to answer questions related to that. This will help you appear less nervous and give confident answers in the interview 💪
I applied for a TC at Bakers in April this year and I wish to apply for a Summer VS within the next month, is this a long enough gap? Thanks!
Absolutely is as it's technically two different cycles! Please feel free to tag me in your posts here on the forum if you have any questions about the application that I may be able to help with! 😇

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Anyone know if the ‘preparation’ time given in VIs is recorded? Made an absolute fool of myself during the reed smith 60 second preparation and hoping that it’s not! If it is then I will know why when I am PFOd 😆😆
The preparation time is typically not recorded but look at the instructions carefully as I know a couple of organisations (not law firms) where it is recorded, just to ensure integrity in the process. However, if it is recorded they will tell you this.

mckelly

Valued Member
Premium Member
Sep 19, 2020
Still haven't heard back from Slaughters for Summer VS. Interviews are meant to start next week, and all my friends have either been rejected or invited to interview. Not sure what to do. How common is it for an application to slip through and be forgotten about?
When did you apply to Slaughters? I still haven't heard back either

layk

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
Jul 16, 2019
For those waiting for a response from CMS - I had a conversation with one of their graduate recruiters. They said that if you hadn't heard anything as of yet, there is no need to be worried. They will be dishing out more ACs in the upcoming weeks (most likely after new year) even to those who applied early on. They have also been sending out rejections as well - so in their words 'no news is good news'. Hope this is of use to some. :)
Could I ask whether it's still worth applying to CMS as it's so near the deadline?

Reactions: F99

KS94

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Mar 21, 2018
    Not sure if this has been shared.

Browne Jacobson have announced that they are hiring Trainees for March 2022 and will consider part-time LPC students.

Academic requirements have been removed.

Nicole15

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 22, 2018
    I personally would include all of my work experience, depending on what it is. If it was a part-time volunteering role when you were 14 then perhaps you do not need to, but I would think that you should include your entire professional experience. I could be wrong about this so I will tag @Jessica Booker for her opinion!
    Thank you for this, James! :)

• Love
    Reactions: James Carrabino

Nicole15

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 22, 2018
    Yes, I agree that you should include as much as possible even if it dates back considerably, @Nicole15 .

My advice is:

- Does it show something different about you - then include it
    - Does it show you managed your time effectively with other commitments (especially your school/college studies) - then include it
    - If you committed to it for a long time - then include it
    - If it was something outside of the ordinary (e.g. maybe working abroad or a really unique role, especially if done when you were "young") - then include it

When to consider not including it:
    - If it was a very short period of time
    - If it has been superseded by other, more modern experiences that are very similar
    Thank you very much, Jessica - your advice has been super useful and has made me reconsider some of my experiences.. I definitely need to "big" myself up a bit more.

SCN

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 20, 2020
    Just finished my NRF telephone interview and I have no idea how I've done. We started a little late because of some logistical issues and that meant that my first answer needed to be compressed a bit and she had to ask me to wrap up. Is that fatal?
    If it's logistical issues then they would understand why the answer was cut short. She probably asked you to wrap up because they're doing back to back interviews and running a tight schedule, don't worry about it :)

Reactions: ZaraB, OB and Veep9

vacschemeapss

Valued Member
    Jan 25, 2021
    Hey- Freshfields requires a personal statement in their given format. They have a separate block for name and a separate block for personal statement. Does this mean I dont have to start with stuff like "Dear Graduate Team... I am interested in applying for ABC" or end with "Yours faithfully, XYZ"- given that it's not a cover letter!? Also confused whether I can do divisions like Why Law, Why Firm, Why Me sections as I do in cover letters. @Jessica Booker would you have any insight on this?

Reactions: SCN

Nicole15

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 22, 2018
    Just finished my NRF telephone interview and I have no idea how I've done. We started a little late because of some logistical issues and that meant that my first answer needed to be compressed a bit and she had to ask me to wrap up. Is that fatal?
    I don't think it is fatal at all. I presume that the interviewer had other candidates to call after you and was sticking to a time frame but of course this is me just presuming. Well done on getting so far into the recruitment process and wish you all the best of luck! I know it's hard, but try not to overthink too much about it. :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.