TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

layk

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
Jul 16, 2019
For anyone who's applied to DLA Piper, please could someone share how they input their academic history? Did you put in the Alevels and GCSEs individually for each subject you studied? And is it necessary to attach a CV and cover letter? Thank yoU!

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
Hi all! I'm applying to Ropes & Gray and attempting to draft an answer to their application question-

What three proposals would you make to the Partnership if you were Chair of Ropes & Gray? (500 words)

I haven't come across a question like this before, any tips on how I can proceed? :) I don't want to rush it by adding generic points since the word count is also substantial.
It's an extremely tough question. My approach - bear in mind i was unsuccessful - was to focus on the firm's market position and client base and possible ways to build that out. I looked at possible geographic expansion, developing a niche practice group and broader ESG integration. Common thread was that all would be a value-add to some portion of existing clients + potentially attract new clients, all leveraging existing strengths.

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
For anyone who's applied to DLA Piper, please could someone share how they input their academic history? Did you put in the Alevels and GCSEs individually for each subject you studied? And is it necessary to attach a CV and cover letter? Thank yoU!
I don't recall them requiring a cover letter.

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
Hi all! I'm applying to Ropes & Gray and attempting to draft an answer to their application question-

What three proposals would you make to the Partnership if you were Chair of Ropes & Gray? (500 words)

I haven't come across a question like this before, any tips on how I can proceed? :) I don't want to rush it by adding generic points since the word count is also substantial.
Ultimately I think the most important thing is to remember that this question wants you to show you understand 1) business generally 2) law as a business and 3) Ropes specifically. If you achieve those things you'll be in the running

Law2022

Legendary Member
May 3, 2020
does anyone know when do the us firms (skadden, davis polk, Kirkland, etc.) respond?
For Skadden and Davis Polk, I think we can expect a response in early January. Davis Polk will get back to people after the deadline and I believe Skadden is holding next stage interviews in January!

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Thanks! Can't find any answers for that one either? Hasn't given me a mark too. Is that how it's meant to be?
    You won't get answers for any of the practice tests from the test provider as often those questions will come up in the real test - Lawyer Portal's practice WG is good for giving answers and reasonings why its right or wrong :)

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hello @Jessica Booker. Hope you're well.

One of the questions in an application I am currently working on asks about a practice area I am interested in. I was planning on mentioning a case that representatives from the firm talked about during a case study workshop I attended around a year ago - I found it very interesting. However, I have just found out that the firm eventually lost the case and they do not mention it anywhere on the website. Therefore, I am not sure whether I should mention it, or rather not as it could seem like I have not been following the subsequent developments... I don't know. Maybe I am just overthinking it :D
    @michael98 it's absolutely alright to mention the case because you're using it to substantiate your interest in the practice area, not to demonstrate your knowledge of the case itself. Focus on how the firm went about the case, their strategy, which expertise and offices were engaged, their standout arguments etc. rather than the outcome- it's a part of a lawyer's life to win some and lose some as rightly put by @Jessica Booker 😇

@lawful_neutral216 I think @Rob93 has done a FANTASTIC job of breaking down how you can approach this question!

My only input is to think of any proposals pertaining to the firm's culture as well, especially in the wake of the pandemic and the enhanced focus on wellbeing, agile working, firm-wide support groups etc.

There's so much you can talk about, really. As @Rob93 put it, as long as you can demonstrate your knowledge and understanding of the firm's business and its role in the wider industry, you should be good. Let us know how you get on with this question!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.