TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sibs23

Legendary Member
Jan 15, 2021
Looking for some advice on whether it would be worth making a reapplication to BCLP. I got to AC for a VS in 2018 whilst I was in my second year. I haven't reapplied since then, but I have now graduated and work as a paralegal so I think that my application could definitely be stronger this time around. From BCLP's website it appears that you can reapply, but would I have a realistic shot?

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    Looking for some advice on whether it would be worth making a reapplication to BCLP. I got to AC for a VS in 2018 whilst I was in my second year. I haven't reapplied since then, but I have now graduated and work as a paralegal so I think that my application could definitely be stronger this time around. From BCLP's website it appears that you can reapply, but would I have a realistic shot?
    of course apply, considering you have developed as well and will work on your app. I think you defiantly should!

• 🏆
    Reactions: George Maxwell

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021

of course apply, considering you have developed as well and will work on your app. I think you defiantly should!
    Hi @lellie23,

I agree with @GXA123 on this one. Definitely give it a shot.

Did you get feedback from your AC last time too? If you can, demonstrating specifically how you build on that feedback would suggest you are willing to listen and improve.

I know people who were in a similar position to you who were unsuccessful first time (even after a VS) who then later got a TC in a later application cycle!

Feel free to tag me if I can be of any help when you are applying 🚀

m2001

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 24, 2021
    Can anyone advise whether firms tend to use the same case study for both winter and spring/summer vacation schemes in the same application cycle? Or do they tend to differ the topic between the winter AC's and spring/summer ones?

Reactions: GXA123

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Can anyone advise whether firms tend to use the same case study for both winter and spring/summer vacation schemes in the same application cycle? Or do they tend to differ the topic between the winter AC's and spring/summer ones?
    Firms tend to use different case studies within the recruitment for the same vacancy. They often have a suite of different versions that they vary among candidates to ensure a level of fairness. So it’s not necessary that they will be different between vacancies, they are likely to use the same suite (they may retire some of the older versions and replace them at any point though).

rose0904

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 6, 2021
    Has anyone done the Eversheds question about delivering a piece of work where quality was important? Last year I wrote about a waitressing shift I did but that was in July 2019 so a while ago and I also wanted to have a whole new answer this year. Would talking about a uni essay be enough for this?

The Surviving Lawyer

Standard Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 15, 2021
    Hi everyone! I hope you’re all well and had a lovely Christmas break🥰 I’d like some advice if anyone has any and I’d first like to preface that I am EXTREMELY grateful for obtaining a VS. So, I have been successful in A&O’s VS and was wondering if I should just..stop applying for more firms? On one hand, I don’t want to count on A&O giving me a TC whereas on the other, I don’t think I could face another app, interview and AC!

thank you in advance🥰

sibs23

Legendary Member
    Jan 15, 2021
    Hi @lellie23,

I agree with @GXA123 on this one. Definitely give it a shot.

Did you get feedback from your AC last time too? If you can, demonstrating specifically how you build on that feedback would suggest you are willing to listen and improve.

I know people who were in a similar position to you who were unsuccessful first time (even after a VS) who then later got a TC in a later application cycle!

Feel free to tag me if I can be of any help when you are applying 🚀
    Thanks both for your responses! I've almost completed a first draft today :)

I got feedback at the time and the main thing which let me down was the written task, mostly due to timing issues. It was my first ever AC so they also said that I lacked confidence at times. I'm not sure if there's any space on the Vantage form to add detail about my previous application, but as you said, I think it is worth another try :)

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    Has anyone done the Eversheds question about delivering a piece of work where quality was important? Last year I wrote about a waitressing shift I did but that was in July 2019 so a while ago and I also wanted to have a whole new answer this year. Would talking about a uni essay be enough for this?

Hi @rose0904,

I would try as best you can to avoid using an academic example here. Firms like to find out about your wider experience beyond university work by asking this sort of question. However, if you do not have any other examples, a university essay is absolutely fine! It seems appropriate to use here.

If you do use this example, I would suggest to make sure that you highlight your ability to prioritise different work streams. This is a great skill to have as a trainee (from what I am told 😅).

Thinking about other examples, have you been involved with any university societies (such as Enactus) which required the production of a project or research report? Or more recent work experience perhaps? Do not stress if not though 🚀

Hi everyone! I hope you’re all well and had a lovely Christmas break🥰 I’d like some advice if anyone has any and I’d first like to preface that I am EXTREMELY grateful for obtaining a VS. So, I have been successful in A&O’s VS and was wondering if I should just..stop applying for more firms? On one hand, I don’t want to count on A&O giving me a TC whereas on the other, I don’t think I could face another app, interview and AC!

thank you in advance🥰

Hi @legalbeagle45!

Welcome to the forum! It is great to hear from you. Congratulations for your vacation scheme by the way. That is a huge huge achievement 🥳. I'm really pleased for you.

That being said and congratulations aside, I would definitely advise you to continue applying.

The application process is very hard to predict and so it is possible that you may not get a TC. It goes without saying that I really hope that you do of course!

The other thing is that you will develop skills that will be useful further down the line by applying. You can never have enough practice interviewing, for example. So although I really empathise with you (because applying is exhausting), try not to rest on your laurels on this one.

Always happy to help so feel free to tag me or @AvniD if we can help at all!😅

GK8997

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 25, 2020
    Hi all! I'm applying to Ropes & Gray and attempting to draft an answer to their application question-

What three proposals would you make to the Partnership if you were Chair of Ropes & Gray? (500 words)

I haven't come across a question like this before, any tips on how I can proceed? :) I don't want to rush it by adding generic points since the word count is also substantial.
    Hiya, I did the VS at Ropes & Gray last cycle and had to do the same app question so feel free to PM me!

Zubin

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Dec 17, 2020
    Hey is the telephone round or the AC? Do you mind telling me when did you do the WG and when did you get the mail saying you passed?
    Hi there! This is the telephone round. As I'm travelling in the US at the moment, I actually had to do the interview at 1.30 AM my time haha! But it went well I think. I received the WG in the second week of December, with an invite to book an interview within the next week. My interview was on the 23rd. Waiting to hear back now.
    Good luck with your application! :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: vacschemeapss and AvniD

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If a firm asks for references, do they contact the reference immediately you submit your application?
    No - unlikely to contact until you are invited to interview. The earliest may be if they are considering inviting you to interview. Many firms won’t follow up with referees until an offer is made.

Reactions: Slawrelated
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.