TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
If a firm asks for references, do they contact the reference immediately you submit your application?
Usually firms only contact references at TC offer stage as far as I am aware. Some firms do not even contact references until you start your TC whilst others will contact upon your receipt of a VS offer. I have heard that Jones Day contacts references for those candidates it plans to bring to interview, however.

I am not aware of any firms immediately contacting references.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Guys, do you know how many words 1000 characters are? Google keeps me giving conflicting results
It will only ever be an estimate as if you write lots of long words it will be a lower number than if you write lots of short words.

It is likely to be around 200 words though (if you include spaces and punctuation which will register as characters)

Reactions: S87

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Guys, do you know how many words 1000 characters are? Google keeps me giving conflicting results
Conflicting results will be since some people use longer words than others. Just take a past answer you wrote and find a random 1000-character chunk and see how many words that is!

JoeyTr

Valued Member
  • Jan 4, 2021
    is it bad to mention being interested in practice area of a firm that is not doing TOO well. But you are genuinely interested in that practice area and convey your reasons well
    I wouldn't. if its an area you are really interested in it probably makes sense to lead with an area the firm is renowned for (explain your interest), then introduce the area you're passionate about & justify with your experiences

AP2000

Distinguished Member
  • Feb 22, 2021
    Hey everyone! This might be a silly question, but I'm working on my second application at the moment (first application cycle) and am wondering whether it's okay to reuse parts of answers from the first application. For example, I want to take a paragraph detailing work experience that demonstrates my interest in commercial law and then add to it to link it back to the second firm. Is it okay to do that or should I rephrase anything I reuse?

aspiringlawyer123_

Legendary Member
    Dec 11, 2021
    Hey everyone! This might be a silly question, but I'm working on my second application at the moment (first application cycle) and am wondering whether it's okay to reuse parts of answers from the first application. For example, I want to take a paragraph detailing work experience that demonstrates my interest in commercial law and then add to it to link it back to the second firm. Is it okay to do that or should I rephrase anything I reuse?
    This is completely fine, just don’t reuse parts that are firm-specific questions, but why commercial law will be pretty much the same across firms

• Love
    Reactions: AvniD and AP2000

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Has anyone done the Eversheds question about delivering a piece of work where quality was important? Last year I wrote about a waitressing shift I did but that was in July 2019 so a while ago and I also wanted to have a whole new answer this year. Would talking about a uni essay be enough for this?
    @rose0904

The reason why the uni essay example doesn't work too well here is that while quality was important to you re the essay, it wasn't important per see for its delivery i.e. for other people depending on it, which arguably there were none. You can use any example, really, as long as it demonstrates 1) why delivering that piece of work to high quality was important (for reasons of customer service, teamwork, meeting targets etc.) 2) and how you went about doing this, and how you overcame any challenges in your way (using STAR, CAR may be useful).

I hope this helps?
    Hi everyone! I hope you’re all well and had a lovely Christmas break🥰 I’d like some advice if anyone has any and I’d first like to preface that I am EXTREMELY grateful for obtaining a VS. So, I have been successful in A&O’s VS and was wondering if I should just..stop applying for more firms? On one hand, I don’t want to count on A&O giving me a TC whereas on the other, I don’t think I could face another app, interview and AC!

thank you in advance🥰

@legalbeagle45

Do you think taking a break from applications for a bit will help motivate you to face another app, interview, AC? I think it seems like you are willing to apply more but are just exhausted maybe and need to step away from apps for a bit maybe? Let me know what you think!

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Two things here.

One is that unless the question is worded nearly exactly the same way, with the same word count, the answer might read awkwardly- make sure you're answering the specific question asked. 'Why do you want to be a commercial lawyer' and 'why are you interested in a career in commercial law' are not quite the same question and I'd expect answers to read a little differently even if the substantive content carries over.

Secondly, I think it's a worthwhile exercise to take an old answer and rewrite it line by line to fit a new application. It will strengthen your writing and serve as an additional hard edit stage.

The Surviving Lawyer

Standard Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 15, 2021
    @rose0904

The reason why the uni essay example doesn't work too well here is that while quality was important to you re the essay, it wasn't important per see for its delivery i.e. for other people depending on it, which arguably there were none. You can use any example, really, as long as it demonstrates 1) why delivering that piece of work to high quality was important (for reasons of customer service, teamwork, meeting targets etc.) 2) and how you went about doing this, and how you overcame any challenges in your way (using STAR, CAR may be useful).

I hope this helps?

@legalbeagle45

Do you think taking a break from applications for a bit will help motivate you to face another app, interview, AC? I think it seems like you are willing to apply more but are just exhausted maybe and need to step away from apps for a bit maybe? Let me know what you think!
    Thank you for your replay and to @George Maxwell for your help! I put a lot into each stage and I think a break before doing more applications before their end of January deadlines is probably best! I had planned to do around 15 applications before being successful so I also think that obtaining a VS after just a few applications was just a massive shock to the system!

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I think this might sound like a silly question. I am applying for the Baker McKenzie summer vacation scheme and the questions are the same as last year except for 1 different question. As I applied for the direct training contract last year meaning in March this year will graduate recruitment still have access to my old application or will it flag up if I submit the same answers for the question that I submitted for the application in the last cycle.

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Thank you for your replay and to @George Maxwell for your help! I put a lot into each stage and I think a break before doing more applications before their end of January deadlines is probably best! I had planned to do around 15 applications before being successful so I also think that obtaining a VS after just a few applications was just a massive shock to the system!
    Taking a break is a really good idea- you've worked hard and deserve some time off! Let us know if we can help you with your applications once you start making them again with a re-energised perspective.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    is it bad to mention being interested in practice area of a firm that is not doing TOO well. But you are genuinely interested in that practice area and convey your reasons well
    I don’t see this as an issue unless the firm is closing the practice. Even if it’s not doing as well as other practice areas, they will still need lawyers to work in it. Maybe just check they are currently sending trainees into that department for seat rotations.

• 🏆
    Reactions: AvniD and Rob93

Veep9

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    I think this might sound like a silly question. I am applying for the Baker McKenzie summer vacation scheme and the questions are the same as last year except for 1 different question. As I applied for the direct training contract last year meaning in March this year will graduate recruitment still have access to my old application or will it flag up if I submit the same answers for the question that I submitted for the application in the last cycle.
    If it helps, I applied for the Direct training contract last year too and the spring vacation scheme this year. I used the same answer for the topic of interest but re-wrote the other three answers. I was rejected at application form last year but was sent the WG test this year.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.