TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

M777

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jul 15, 2019
Has anyone heard from NRF for winter vac scheme? I applied last week and I know they're on a RB
If it's any consolation, they took 1 month last time to give me a watson glaser invite. Applied in november '20 and heard back nearly exactly a month later. From then on, I got a TI invite and an AC invite very quickly - think I went from WG to AC invite within about 2 weeks

Reactions: AW_08 and OB

M777

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jul 15, 2019
Anyone who has applied to White & Case in previous cycles - what was their turnaround time (if you remember)? For reference I applied on the 15th for winter VS

D

Deleted member 2707

Does anyone have any tips for preparing for short video interviews? I have no idea where to begin
Do you know if it is strengths-based or competency-based? If it is competency-based, I would start out by drawing up a list of competencies and 'matching' them to my skills/experiences.

I'm not too great at VIs but one of the biggest takeaways for me was not to make it sound too rehearsed- practice but just well enough so that you are able to answer articulately! I did this by listing what I wanted to say in bullet-point form rather than writing it all out. I then just spoke in front of a mirror, taking note of intonations and sentence structure.

Also on the day, do smile at the camera! A smile goes a long way, even if it's recorded :)

jfkt1205

Standard Member
Feb 6, 2021
Sorry if this question has been asked before, but does anyone have any idea of the application questions (vac scheme) for Hogan this year. I would have a look myself but I'm uncertain which vac scheme to apply for atm. Thanks.

hopefullawyer101

Legendary Member
Feb 25, 2021
Do you know if it is strengths-based or competency-based? If it is competency-based, I would start out by drawing up a list of competencies and 'matching' them to my skills/experiences.

I'm not too great at VIs but one of the biggest takeaways for me was not to make it sound too rehearsed- practice but just well enough so that you are able to answer articulately! I did this by listing what I wanted to say in bullet-point form rather than writing it all out. I then just spoke in front of a mirror, taking note of intonations and sentence structure.

Also on the day, do smile at the camera! A smile goes a long way, even if it's recorded :)
Thanks so much- they said it could be scenario/ competency or motivation based! I am just worried about running out of time

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    hi! has anyone received feedback/confirmation email from A&O after completing their SJT test? I received almost-immediate feedback last year after submitting my SJT, but i haven't heard from them yet
    I don't think anyone's received any confirmation post-SJT (except for the one person on here who has an AC invite). So I wouldn't stress that you haven't heard yet :)

Reactions: tt_xo and kitty_kat

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    For video interviews (90s question time), do you have to be drawing on experiences for your answers for why law/ why firm?

Yes! It can be hard to do with only 90s but I'd suggest only including about two main points and then expanding on them with you experiences.

Tams_rams

Standard Member
    Sep 25, 2021
    I don't think anyone's received any confirmation post-SJT (except for the one person on here who has an AC invite). So I wouldn't stress that you haven't heard yet :)
    hi! has anyone received feedback/confirmation email from A&O after completing their SJT test? I received almost-immediate feedback last year after submitting my SJT, but i haven't heard from them yet

can i also ask, did anyone's A&O portal update following the completion of your SJT? thanks!
    Hi,

I applied for A&O's TC a week ago(v late), did the SJT and got an email saying I passed the SJT, my app is at the review stage, and that I have the qualities of a A&O trainee etc.. THis is for the TC, rather than VS, so YMMV but thought I'd let you know. Haven't heard back otherwise.

SamTam99

Legendary Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    Hi,

I applied for A&O's TC a week ago(v late), did the SJT and got an email saying I passed the SJT, my app is at the review stage, and that I have the qualities of a A&O trainee etc.. THis is for the TC, rather than VS, so YMMV but thought I'd let you know. Haven't heard back otherwise.
    Congratulations! How soon after doing the SJT did you get the email?

Phoenix for all

Distinguished Member
  • Feb 13, 2020
    Does anyone know if one can apply to both HSF's Winter and Spring/Summer VS? The Winter VS app window is closing in a few days so I don't know if it's wise to apply for it if I only have one shot...

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.