TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
Jan 22, 2020
Hey everyone,

For A&O's application, is it really only two questions? I'm quite shook because I was expecting some devil questions.

How have people gone about answering the questions? I assume CAR/STAR x 2/ x 3 on skills and then expanding on why they'd be relevant at A&O in the next question?

Thanks!

PM2021

Star Member
Dec 18, 2020
Hey, I had a general question. How many applications do people usually make in one cycle for vacation schemes? I know there can be any number. But I was targetting to put 7-10 applications. Given my university commitments, I feel I can only properly draft 7-10 applications. But I have no idea whether it is a good number of applications or not?

Ooshmate

Star Member
Premium Member
  • Nov 12, 2020
    Hey, I had a general question. How many applications do people usually make in one cycle for vacation schemes? I know there can be any number. But I was targetting to put 7-10 applications. Given my university commitments, I feel I can only properly draft 7-10 applications. But I have no idea whether it is a good number of applications or not?
    I am also doing 7 applications. I had to cut down from 10 as I realised that not all firms match my interests. To help time-wise, I would spread your applications across the winter, spring, and summer deadlines. i.e. 2 applications for winter, 2 for spring and 3 for summer. That way, you only need to focus on two or three applications for every month or so.

Reactions: ZaraB and Kubed

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I say with university studies 6 at max as your grades are important for applications. But there is no exact number. What I used to do is spend 1 hour in the morning and 1 hour at night on applications when I was studying for university.

John Travoni

Legendary Member
    Jan 14, 2021
    I say with university studies 6 at max as your grades are important for applications. But there is no exact number. What I used to do is spend 1 hour in the morning and 1 hour at night on applications when I was studying for university.
    Tbh there isn’t a set number and I don’t think you should set a number for yourself. I know some ppl who only applied to one firm and got in, and I know ppl who applied to 35 firms and were also successful too. As long as you’re consistent with applications and don’t compromise your quality, bang out as many as you can.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hey, does anyone know who to address the White & Case cover letter to? On law careers it says Mrs Gemma Barns, can anyone confirm?
    Somewhere on their FAQ page it tells you to address it to the Graduate Resourcing and Development Team. I’m on my phone rn and can’t find the link but it’s definitely somewhere on the website, just double check!

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi all,

I was wondering whether anyone knows who to address the Norton Rose Fulbright cover letter to please? Thanks in advance!
    Dear Graduate Recruitment Team is fine for them. This is what I did for my successful app!

Reactions: l0133

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Is it wise to apply to the White and Case open day, (hopefully) attend, and then apply for the VS after in late november? I'm not sure whether that would help my application or hinder it, given they accept on a rolling basis. I have limited legal work experience.

So I attended their Open Day in early November (2019) and then applied after that and I distinctly remember GR saying that it’s completely fine to wait after the open day because they won’t have received many applications at all around that time.

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    I accidentally spelt "solicitors" with two c's. I also believe I made one other mistake but I cannot remember it.
    I got to the CMS AC stage last year by putting “this is why I would fit in with Bird & Bird’s supportive culture” in the work experience part that I had copied and pasted from that app. Obviously not ideal but there’s a chance they’ll overlook it :)

Reactions: ellwilsen

Ooshmate

Star Member
    Premium Member
  • Nov 12, 2020
    I got to the CMS AC stage last year by putting “this is why I would fit in with Bird & Bird’s supportive culture” in the work experience part that I had copied and pasted from that app. Obviously not ideal but there’s a chance they’ll overlook it :)
    Fingers crossed :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: OB

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    is it polite to ask uncomfortable questions to the trainees or graduate team?

On chambers student the firm is described as highly international, international secondments and lots of multijurisdictional deals. However, on Lex 100 international is ranked 46%. It looks a bit inconsistent, am I allowed to ask about it during the upcoming open day? How can I pose this question?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    is it polite to ask uncomfortable questions to the trainees or graduate team?

On chambers student the firm is described as highly international, international secondments and lots of multijurisdictional deals. However, on Lex 100 international is ranked 46%. It looks a bit inconsistent, am I allowed to ask about it during the upcoming open day? How can I pose this question?
    As long as it’s asked in a polite way, yes - nothing wrong with asking challenging questions

Reactions: S87

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I know we have discussed this in this forum so times sorry for bringing it up again. HSF application deadline is 23:59 on 1st October right.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Quite confused about Skadden's two application portals:

https://www.apply4law.com/skadden/default.aspx (1)

https://www.allhires.com/skadden/Login.aspx? (2)

Can anyone please explain (had to make a new account for 2). 1 was the one I had always known. Is 2 the new portal?
    Apply4law and Allhires are technically the same company so I suspect they are connected somehow. If you are applying to paralegal roles or other roles outside of TCs or VSs that might be why it is Allhires rather than apply4law.

Reactions: Dwight
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.