TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
How do people prepare for competency interviews?

Hi @Donuttime,

Congratulations for being progressed to interview! That's awesome news🤙

When I was doing interview preparation, specifically for competency questions, I would write out all of the possible competency questions I could think of (see Jaysen's list here, or alternatively this one is exhaustive) and write out 3/4 examples per question. Before my interview I would then have a list of the possible competency questions I could be asked. I would then test myself to make sure that I could comfortably draw on a few examples per question from memory.

It helps to have your CV in front of you when you are thinking of examples ahead of interview(!). I actually always brought/had a physical copy of my CV with me (both in person and virtually) for my interviews to act as a prompt (just in case I had a mind blank in the interview). This is also useful if your interviewers pursue more CV-based questions.

I should say too, that preparing for competency interviews takes time, so it is a good idea to do this in advance.

It is important to be able to provide more than one example for each competency because it is likely that your answers will overlap. It is very possible, for example, that one experience is your "best" example for more than one question. Ideally you want to give your interviewers as broad an overview of your background as possible, so giving them an insight into different experiences is much better than consistently drawing on the same experience.

If you are struggling to think of an example when the time comes (perhaps owing to the pressure etc.), it is absolutely fine to ask your interviewer if you could take 30 seconds/a minute to consider the question! Do not rush into answering in an interview ever! You want to give the strongest answer possible to questions asked and taking 30 seconds can indicate maturity and confidence (as it is not an easy thing to do!).

Here are three useful posts from the forum about interviews which might help!

1. @Jacob Miller's fantastic article.
  2. Some suggestions for questions you could ask your interviewer(s) at the end of your interview
  3. Ideas for building rapport in an interview
I hope these suggestions help!

Please do let me know how the interview goes and feel free to ask any follow-ups 🚀

Donuttime

Legendary Member
Premium Member
May 17, 2021
Hi @Donuttime,

Congratulations for being progressed to interview! That's awesome news🤙

When I was doing interview preparation, specifically for competency questions, I would write out all of the possible competency questions I could think of (see Jaysen's list here, or alternatively this one is exhaustive) and write out 3/4 examples per question. Before my interview I would then have a list of the possible competency questions I could be asked. I would then test myself to make sure that I could comfortably draw on a few examples per question from memory.

It helps to have your CV in front of you when you are thinking of examples ahead of interview(!). I actually always brought/had a physical copy of my CV with me (both in person and virtually) for my interviews to act as a prompt (just in case I had a mind blank in the interview). This is also useful if your interviewers pursue more CV-based questions.

I should say too, that preparing for competency interviews takes time, so it is a good idea to do this in advance.

It is important to be able to provide more than one example for each competency because it is likely that your answers will overlap. It is very possible, for example, that one experience is your "best" example for more than one question. Ideally you want to give your interviewers as broad an overview of your background as possible, so giving them an insight into different experiences is much better than consistently drawing on the same experience.

If you are struggling to think of an example when the time comes (perhaps owing to the pressure etc.), it is absolutely fine to ask your interviewer if you could take 30 seconds/a minute to consider the question! Do not rush into answering in an interview ever! You want to give the strongest answer possible to questions asked and taking 30 seconds can indicate maturity and confidence (as it is not an easy thing to do!).

Here are three useful posts from the forum about interviews which might help!

1. @Jacob Miller's fantastic article.
  2. Some suggestions for questions you could ask your interviewer(s) at the end of your interview
  3. Ideas for building rapport in an interview
I hope these suggestions help!

Please do let me know how the interview goes and feel free to ask any follow-ups 🚀
Thank YOU! You don't understand how helpful and thorough this is :)

• 🏆
Reactions: George Maxwell

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
Anyone who has NOT heard back from Latham post SJT or has had a PFO?
I see a lot of people get through to VI and trying to mentally prepare for the rejection 😂
Heard nothing, doesn't look like any PFOs have gone out yet - wondering if they'll take the approach of going through their entire recruitment process then doing a mass rejection late Feb.

That said they only closed 2 weeks ago and doubtless have a huge number of apps to sift through so I wouldn't lose hope yet

YUKI1201

Valued Member
  • Mar 3, 2021
    For Zoom/Teams interviews, is it best to look directly at the camera or the interviewers?
    I have been always told to look at the camera but I personally found it extremely hard; so in a zoom interview (with HSF) last year I just looked at the interviewers when they're talking (helped me follow what they're saying) and glanced at the camera from time to time to "create" eye-contacts when giving answers. But I don't think it matters that much as long as you articulate naturally + good answers.

refy

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Mar 19, 2021
    I have been always told to look at the camera but I personally found it extremely hard; so in a zoom interview (with HSF) last year I just looked at the interviewers when they're talking (helped me follow what they're saying) and glanced at the camera from time to time to "create" eye-contacts. But I don't think it matters that much as long as you articulate naturally + good answers.

That sounds good, thank you! :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    For Zoom/Teams interviews, is it best to look directly at the camera or the interviewers?
    The camera if possible as this gives the illusion that you are looking at the interviewers. Ultimately your eye line will voice between the two though (like it would in a face to face interview).

One rather simple (and slightly cheesy) but effective approach is to draw a little smiley face on a post it note and stick it really close to your camera - reminds you to look at the camera and also smile 😂

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.