TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MN3334

Jan 24, 2022
How could I justify a poor/lower module grade? My lowest module was based of a group project work, and the firm looks for skills like teamwork and communication in their trainees. Not sure how to approach this as a possible interview question ;/

Reactions: Aga123+

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
if there is a trainee lunch in a virtual AC, would you say it's meant to be formal and as scrutinised as the group tasks or is it more casual and it's okay if you don't talk as much?
Typically more casual, and even if it is “assessed” it will only have a very light weighting. You can always ask at the beginning of the day if it is assessed.

Aga123+

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Aug 2, 2021
    How could I justify a poor/lower module grade? My lowest module was based of a group project work, and the firm looks for skills like teamwork and communication in their trainees. Not sure how to approach this as a possible interview question ;/

[I had a similar situation with a module mainly with group work]

One way you could answer this is to spin it into a learning experience. For example, you could talk about what went wrong/could have been improved and then maybe how you used this situation in later experiences to better your teamwork skills and communication.

You could also identify any positive steps you took during the group project work, ie keeping the line of communication clear, working under pressure etc. This helps show that you took initiative/positive action despite the outcome of the module

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Hi guys,

I am applying to Dechert and the second question asks to identify a number of reasons why the firm is retained by its clients.
    Besides talking about their expertise, I wanted to underline how the diversity of the firm’s hires reflect the diversity of their clients. What do you think?

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Hi guys,

I am applying to Dechert and the second question asks to identify a number of reasons why the firm is retained by its clients.
    Besides talking about their expertise, I wanted to underline how the diversity of the firm’s hires reflect the diversity of their clients. What do you think?
    Yes good point I am thinking of discussing that also. Also to add what do you lot think about discussing CSR and link it to pro bono for this question.

Kubed

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    Yes good point I am thinking of discussing that also. Also to add what do you lot think about discussing CSR and link it to pro bono for this question.
    For me personally, I think I would focus more on the range and quality of services that the firm can offer to clients. CSR/pro bono can be a small part of a client's attraction to a firm but if we're being honest, clients hire firms to do work for them so this should probably be the priority in any answer too. I think diversity & ESG can be considered increasingly important factors, with the recent emphasis on social responsibility. Others might have different views but this would be my approach.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.