TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
I posted this question earlier today but it was a Sunday and no one was available to offer me advice so I thought I’d try again today!

To cut a long story short. I’m a final year law student and I’m applying to a particular firm which asks me to detail the positions of responsibility, sports, and other achievements both at university and at school.

these are two separate questions (300 words each). other questions on the application form look great! However, I genuinely have zero achievements to speak of both in school and at university.

I’ve worked full time jobs (as a business owner) at university, and I moved schools mid-way through my GCSEs due to a troubled childhood.

to put it bluntly, I haven’t engaged with any societies at university, nor do I have any particular achievements I.e. winning a debating competition.

this is my first cycle and I’ve got through the initial application stage for every single firm that I’ve applied to, but these two questions have completely stumped me.

Do you guys think I should bother applying since a genuinely can’t prose a meaningful answer to the question at hand?

I could really use your advice!

Edit: And when I say nothing in terms of positions at school/university, I genuinely mean nothing! The firm asks 4 other questions, PLUS a 300 word cover letter which I feel confident I can answer. I just don’t know what to do about the 600 word gap in my application that will likely make any grad recruiter automatically reject me.
In my mind, the only component of the question you mention which I think is too specific for you to address is the 'sports' component. If you haven't done sports then there's no need to mention it (although if you even enjoy running in your spare time, for example, then you could mention that).

On the issue of achievements, I will start by saying that an achievement is not necessarily an award! Working a full-time job as a business owner whilst at university is an achievement and a half!! It is also reasonable to talk about because it was something that you did whilst at university. I review applications for TCLA's application review team and I can guarantee that this could be construed as a very impressive achievement. People have offered compelling answers about many issues where the achievement is something very personal to them, but is not officially recognised by some kind of prize.

Similarly, 'positions of responsibility' can be very broad. Again, you have huge responsibility when running a business - although this may be less related to university or school and it may be better to think of a different answer from that which you are using to discuss your achievements. So have you ever been involved in an important academic project, or worked at your university in any capacity? I am sure you can come up with not just an okay, but a very good answer to this question!

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Thank you so much for this! He's a partner in employment and I've just completed an employment law module at university so I wanted to ask something related to this. I was only going to briefly mention that I had done this module and ask at the end about a deal he's done in an aspect I found interesting, but I wasn't too sure if this was a bad idea.

I also realised that I attended an event with the firm about 2 months ago where he was one of the speakers regarding an affinity group. Is it safe to relate the question to something he mentioned at that event?
Of course, assuming it's not something too controversial :) I would suggest giving some background about how you attended the event and really enjoyed it (flatter them), and when you then mention their comment I am sure they will be impressed that it stuck in your mind all this time later!

Your ideas sounds great - the only thing I also used to bear in mind was that I did not want to make any other interviewers feel like I was less interested in them or their career. Obviously most lawyers will not take it personally if you are less interested in their practice area, but it can always subconsciously help if you make all of your interviewers feel proud to talk about their work - which they will be if you ask about it!

RS31

Distinguished Member
Jan 23, 2021
For what it's worth I'll still be doing direct TCs. Best to be a bit strategic on this front as with some firms the odds for direct TC are vanishingly slim and imo the best thing about flunking out of the VS cycle is being able to enjoy evenings and weekends unbothered by the Damocles' Sword of rejection. Top priority for me will be firms whose vacs aren't open to grads - Freshies, SullCrom - and who don't actually have vac schemes - Fried Frank, Paul Hastings - + some with hefty enough intakes that direct recruitment is nontrivial (W&C, Bakers (I think), Ashurst (again, I think)).

At a certain point my strategy is to basically take rolling firms with cover letters that binned me this year and just prep them for next cycle so I can fire off like six apps day 1, but that's kind of a side project until July when directs are all wrapped up.

Strongly recommend aggressively tapping the market for paralegal work if you can, there's loads on right now - mostly in-house but much of that with highly credible financial services firms (if that's your bag), which experience might be a gamechanger next cycle
SullCrom does take grads though, I applied as a postgrad (was rejected, but they had sent me their 'maybe pile' email and let me know the outcome the day after apps closed). I think there are some firms that don't let you apply in the same cycle for a Direct TC if you have been rejected for a VS - but not sure if W&C is one of them. NRF is also a firm with a sizeable direct TC intake if you are interested!

• ℹ️
Reactions: George Maxwell and Rob93

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
if we are drafting an email during a written exercise, do we sign off with our real names or [trainee]?
Your real names are appropriate unless the exercise is name blind (the firm will tell you if this is the case) or if the instructions explicitly tell you it needs to come from someone else.

Rachael.Elisa

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Jun 15, 2021
Hi,

I'm applying to Winckworth Sherwood and there is a 600 word statement to complete. One of the suggested points to include is "what contribution do you expect to make to the business during your TC and future career at the firm?".

Can anyone please advise as to what this actually means? I'm not sure how to approach this.

Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi,

I'm applying to Winckworth Sherwood and there is a 600 word statement to complete. One of the suggested points to include is "what contribution do you expect to make to the business during your TC and future career at the firm?".

Can anyone please advise as to what this actually means? I'm not sure how to approach this.

Thanks!
It is looking for you to analyse how you think your particular skill set or characteristics may benefit the firm. Think about the role of a trainee/junior lawyer and how you think you may add particular value to either clients or your colleagues.

Reactions: Rachael.Elisa
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.