TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
Reactions: LawfulRust00

EH96

Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 16, 2021
If the deadline for an application is 31st Jan (Apply4Law), does that mean I have the whole of the 31st to complete it, or do I need to submit it the night before? Thanks!

fran2948

Jan 24, 2022
Did you ask for the adjustment in advance of the day? Can I ask what the adjustment was too? Feel free to PM me if that is easier.
I would PM but don't know how! I got my extra time sorted as soon as I got the invite, they even called to tell me how it would work so I was feeling at ease. On the day however they implemented it in one aspect of the case study exercise but not the second, it may have seemed like a minor thing to them but 7 mins makes a huge difference when you are neurodivergent.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker

Do firms use contextualised recruitment throughout the entire application process? Also, I know the intention of CV-blind interviews is to help a level playing field but doesn’t it do the opposite by taking the contextualised element away (at a stage when it is probably most necessary)?
Contextualised recruitment only really applies to school and grades/performance. It doesn’t really apply beyond this.

• ℹ️
Reactions: TCApp2021 and George Maxwell

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I would PM but don't know how! I got my extra time sorted as soon as I got the invite, they even called to tell me how it would work so I was feeling at ease. On the day however they implemented it in one aspect of the case study exercise but not the second, it may have seemed like a minor thing to them but 7 mins makes a huge difference when you are neurodivergent.
Did they apply it to your prep time but not your delivery time?

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
These clients make millions and so do the law firms. Not really filthy lucre going to the lawyers that work from 9am-1am IMO
I mean sure, the amount of money on the table especially in transactional work is so vast that the fees required to sustain these salaries are a relative drop in the bucket.

But I do genuinely query whether the actual value-add of an NQ really justifies this on any theory of value other than 'what a client is willing to pay/what partners are willing to comp juniors.'

Many people work worse jobs at comparable hours for poverty wages (I have done this at one point in my life), so the sheer fact of hours isn't a particularly compelling justification imo.

Ultimately clients are willing to pay and I don't have any particular objection to money flowing into the pockets of lawyers rather than bankers or executives, but the figures have become wildly high and I would expect many clients' eyebrows to be raised by the NY/City junior pay wars.

Nicole15

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Aug 22, 2018
    I'm a bit stuck as to how to prepare for a AC (exc the interview) which involves a written task and a group assessment. I have read different threads and different websites for helpful tips but I was wondering whether there are any tangible steps I can take? I understand that such assessments cannot be overly prepared due to obvious reasons but I have been trying to prep my mindset (as I am very nervous!) and also read through key terms, contemplate business issues and familiarise myself with the workings of the various practice areas within a law firm. I would appreciate any tips! Thank you.

Reactions: George Maxwell
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.