TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

h1

Esteemed Member
Oct 12, 2020
What is going ON with Reed Smith?! The fact that they send out ACs on Saturday and now it’s Friday and we’ve yet to hear! Put me out of my misery… I can’t refresh my email any longer 😭😭😭
and they need to send materials for the AC so unless summer ACs are Mon 7th - Fri 11th, I'm getting less hopeful

Donuttime

Legendary Member
Premium Member
May 17, 2021
If an application only requires you to email a CV and cover letter is it always best to send them both as PDFs? I normally do my CV as a PDF and then cover letter as a word document but wondering if it is better to be consistent? Or if it even matters?
Best to send as PDF for CV because format can change. Either way it doesn't matter if its not consistent but if you can then might aswell

• 🤝
Reactions: ellensdaleoriginal

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
If you're successful in an AC interview is it still fair to ask for feedback? I am genuinely interested. Thank you
I did this and it was wholly welcomed- feedback is important to understand what worked and what you can improve upon and most firms will understand that this is essential for personal growth. Go for it!

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
I'm sorry to hear your final interview didn't go as well as you had hoped. It might not have gone as badly as you think, manifest positive outcomes!! I'm rooting for you 🤞🏼

I hope you don't mind me asking and no worries if you don't want to talk about it and just put it behind you (😂), but would you be able to say a little about the structure of the AC? I have one with HSF in a couple of weeks and have no idea how best to prepare/what to expect...

TIA x
Hey @AspiringIPLawyer,

This post might be helpful for the AC! I had two scenario interviews and a competency interview (although the firm should email you ahead of the AC with more information). This may have changed though so take what I have said with a pinch of salt!

Let me know how it goes!

Hi!
First of all, congrats for getting an AC in the first place; that in itself is already an amazing achievement.

Honestly, I think I know what you mean; you know you can’t change anything about what’s done, but for some reason, your brain keeps on replaying previous moments/ the worst parts, and you keep on thinking of ways you could’ve done better. I think most of us have been through this at some point.

I’m no expert, but here are some of the things that I did to help myself through that stage:

1) write down the ways that you feel you could’ve improved e.g., how to better structure answers etc. After all, this is your first AC and I’m sure there are many more to come- you can take your personal criticisms and turn them into practical future improvements.

2) once you’ve done that, try not to think about it any further. This is the hardest part but I feel like once I’ve written down all of the reasonable improvements I can make, I’m able to control myself better and not fall into a hole of self-deprecation and doubt 😅

3) for worst case scenarios, just forget that firm and that interview ever happened and move on lol. I did this with a firm once (kept busy with work, uni, other applications etc) and was confused for a moment when I got a PFO from the firm because I managed to blank my experience with them from my memory 😂

Note that these are entirely personal and might not be objectively the best methods to take, but I hope they help! Would love to see what everyone else has to say about this too 👽
Awesome advice here @I.Like.UFOs.Not.PFOs!

What are you guys' thoughts on using all of the word limit for application questions? I understand that CC outlined that one of the biggest reasons for rejection was not using the whole word limit but how much is enough/not enough?

Striving to use 100% of the word limit is slowly killing me. Especially in firms that have a combined word count of 1500-2000. Its so exhausting!
Hey @CorporateLaw101,

Personally I always tried to use up the space. Having said that, it will make no difference if you are waffling just with the intention of using up space. If the choice is between waffling or having a shorter, more succinct answer (below the limit by 10-15%), definitely go with the latter!

Hope that helps 😊
If you're successful in an AC interview is it still fair to ask for feedback? I am genuinely interested. Thank you
Hey @pizzamalia,

Absolutely. I did this after all of my interviews. As was pointed out by another user, firms often provide this as part of the vacation scheme once you are on it!

I'm a bit stuck as to how to prepare for a AC (exc the interview) which involves a written task and a group assessment. I have read different threads and different websites for helpful tips but I was wondering whether there are any tangible steps I can take? I understand that such assessments cannot be overly prepared due to obvious reasons but I have been trying to prep my mindset (as I am very nervous!) and also read through key terms, contemplate business issues and familiarise myself with the workings of the various practice areas within a law firm. I would appreciate any tips! Thank you.
Hey @Nicole15,

I know exactly what you mean about the lack of tangible, practical advice regarding steps to take ahead of an AC. This post might help. I tried to outline the practical steps that I took ahead of my interviews.

Let me know how it goes!

I have a telephone interview with Morgan Lewis! Does anyone please have any tips? I've never done a telephone interview before I'm so nervous! 😭
Hey @therealellewoods,

I did not interview with ML personally. However, I believe @James Carrabino interviewed with them! He might be able to provide some insight on this. 💪

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
No, there were two aspects of prep-time (the second was introduced to stimulate working under time pressure and changing situations I imagine) and it was applied to the first and not the second, so my "pressure" was exactly that haha
I suspect this was purposely done then. Firms only need to apply reasonable adjustments to situations where it is "reasonable". For instance, with things like delivery times or group exercises, it isn't always practical or appropriate to give extra time and I suspect the firm would have considered which adjustments were needed to each part of an exercise.

It's either that or it was a mistake. However, as they applied the additional time to the first part of the exercise, I think they chose to apply the adjustments to the parts of the assessment they felt was appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.