TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hele25

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 5, 2021
Schitts Creek Reaction GIF by CBC

my face after Mishcon VI - I have never in my life been so shocked than I was with the last question.
genuine question- does it matter if you remain calm, confident and keep answering the question even if the subject matter may have been less than?
So upset that it went poorly :(

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
You can ask them why they do not deem it a reasonable adjustment if they are not providing this explanation. However, their response is likely to be that the adjustment is being made in how they evaluate the results.
Mmm I am sorry but your answer describe exactly what frustrates me. If you think that my brain works the exact same way as someone who has not a disability than the industry needs to update on learning disabilities.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Mmm I am sorry but your answer describe exactly what frustrates me. If you think that my brain works the exact same way as someone who has not a disability than the industry needs to update on learning disabilities.
I was only explaining that you can ask the firm to clarify why they can’t provide the adjustments. The firm does not have to apply them if they either can’t apply them or they deem them unreasonable.

Sometimes the only way they can apply an adjustment is to the interpretation of the results, rather than the process of completing the assessment. This is actually pretty common and in some cases would be considered best practice by disability experts.

What I can’t (and am not) doing here is making a judgement as to whether the firms are in the right or the wrong. It’s impossible for me to determine whether they are applying best practice or not based on what you have said. I am just explaining it is within your right that you can ask for clarity on why they have made this decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: George Maxwell

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

This is just a gentle reminder that the deadline to complete the interactive assessment is 31st January 2022.

Please endeavor to complete this by the deadline”

do I have until today to complete it?
You’ll have until tomorrow. You might want to try and do it before 5.00pm though, just in case you have any problems and need to contact the recruitment team.

Reactions: Legalmel_99

NaimK

Valued Member
May 6, 2019
@Jessica Booker

Would you know anything about the BCLP situational judgment test? Although the firm has said it won't time you, it still recommends you spend about 45 mins. However, I'm thinking about taking advantage of the situation by spending as much time as I need. I'm just concerned as to whether there is a running timer or not (unlikely, but I had to provision for that possibility)? If there is, I'd probably try to stick to 45 mins as much as I can. If not, why not take as much time as I want?

To clarify, while I won't have a time limit to complete my test, I also want to know whether there is a timer running in the background anyway.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I have a lot of time for Chris (have worked with him in the past and think AS is an amazing 🥲 organisation) but I don’t think this is great advice. 8 hours to proofread is not realistic nor productive in my opinion. It also doesn’t set you up well for the career when you’ll have far less time to proof read documents. I would say 8 hours is enough to draft, fill out and proofread an application on average.
    I agree with everything you said as if you keep on proofreading again and again then it will become stressful.

NaimK

Valued Member
    May 6, 2019
    Opinions on shortening phrases in applications?
    E.g. 'private equity (PE)' and then referring it to PE then onwards?

I personally do that. I think as long as you fully write out the term first and then put the necessary bracket after (as you've done), you can then refer to the shortened version thereafter. I wouldn't overdo it though, but it can be useful in saving words.

Reactions: James Carrabino

CorporateLaw101

Legendary Member
  • Nov 16, 2021
    Just my view/opinion on the recruitment process and it’s stresses, just to add it to the conversation.

The process is stressful for the vast majority of people. You will probably never experience so much rejection/lack of success in your lifetime ever again. And even if you do, you’ll probably get much more guidance on why that was the case. Once you get into your career, there will be many more small wins you have that will balance out the things that don’t go to plan.

But stress does not just come from failing. For many people their stress triggers are very different, and they may find the career a lot more stressful than the recruitment process because of that.

I think it also depends on what else you have got going on in your life. Many people find this process stressful as there aren’t other key stresses in their life. Sometimes people are more blasé about this process because compared to other things they are dealing/dealt with, this is less significant. For the next person, this is their only/main/first stress causer.

But I agree with the earlier comment that these forums are a conduit for off loading some of that stress, or in some cases helps to minimising it because of the information/advice shared. It really is part of the reason we are here - we are trying to make the journey easier for people. Our purpose is to have an open forum where people can discuss these things openly and productively. Sometimes that means it can cause a trigger in another person, but we can’t constantly censor ourselves in fear of it impacting others. We wouldn’t be able to post much at all if we did that.

But my final comment is I think it is absolutely vital to learn from this process on how to deal with your stresses. If you feel yourself getting anxious about something, try to analyse what is causing that and try to think about ways of remedying it. Sometimes that will be trail and error. Sometimes that will be by doing something silly. Sometimes that will be being good to yourself. Sometimes it will be by doing good for others. But this is the best way to prepare yourself for the career, because it is going to be stressful and you need to prepare yourself for that no matter what you are feeling right now.
    Hi Jessica, this is really helpful. Although I have been lucky enough to not endure mental illness as of yet, I have some personal circumstances that I have placed into an application and was planning on using for multiple applications in the future. I’m going to private message you the details, I hope this is okay!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica, this is really helpful. Although I have been lucky enough to not endure mental illness as of yet, I have some personal circumstances that I have placed into an application and was planning on using for multiple applications in the future. I’m going to private message you the details, I hope this is okay!
    Of course, not a problem at all.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker

Would you know anything about the BCLP situational judgment test? Although the firm has said it won't time you, it still recommends you spend about 45 mins. However, I'm thinking about taking advantage of the situation by spending as much time as I need. I'm just concerned as to whether there is a running timer or not (unlikely, but I had to provision for that possibility)? If there is, I'd probably try to stick to 45 mins as much as I can. If not, why not take as much time as I want?

To clarify, while I won't have a time limit to complete my test, I also want to know whether there is a timer running in the background anyway.
    SJTs are generally not timed and so I don't think this is an issue. They have probably said 45 minutes as a guide as to how long it can take to complete it so that people can prepare accordingly and block out enough time to complete it.

If you want to take more time, then I would encourage you to do so.

Reactions: NaimK
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.