TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RachelLouise22

Distinguished Member
Jan 30, 2021
@Jessica Booker have you ever had experience of a firm recalling offers after they’ve made them as they’ve decided to continue to do acs? I didn’t even know it was possible, it’s just happened to me and luckily it wasn’t the firm I was going to accept but it’s very cheeky, apparently I’ll still be considered after the new acs

LawfulRust00

Legendary Member
  • Dec 20, 2021
    @Jessica Booker have you ever had experience of a firm recalling offers after they’ve made them as they’ve decided to continue to do acs? I didn’t even know it was possible, it’s just happened to me and luckily it wasn’t the firm I was going to accept but it’s very cheeky, apparently I’ll still be considered after the new acs
    Wow, that's nasty and I didn't even know it was possible either. Sorry to hear this

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I have never done this, and I haven't heard of it being done.

I suspect it is down to a human error unfortunately. Did they send you full written offers or was it just a verbal offer you received?

RachelLouise22

Distinguished Member
    Jan 30, 2021
    I have never done this, and I haven't heard of it being done.

I suspect it is down to a human error unfortunately. Did they send you full written offers or was it just a verbal offer you received?
    It was an email sent with an written offer, I emailed to respond and was told they’d decided to run more acs so their final decision was no longer final until after the new acs

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    It was an email sent with an written offer, I emailed to respond and was told they’d decided to run more acs so their final decision was no longer final until after the new acs
    There is a possibility that they have decided to hire fewer vac schemers than they originally planned. They could easily be in the middle of budget planning for the next financial year and have been told to make some cuts, and therefore all of a sudden need to make fewer vacation scheme hires.

Or it could just be poor recruitment/pipeline management.

I'll be frank - something like this is pretty rubbish and I would expect the firm to deal with it better than they have, but at the same time I can understand why it might have happened and it may not even be the recruitment team's fault.

RachelLouise22

Distinguished Member
    Jan 30, 2021
    There is a possibility that they have decided to hire fewer vac schemers than they originally planned. They could easily be in the middle of budget planning for the next financial year and have been told to make some cuts, and therefore all of a sudden need to make fewer vacation scheme hires.

Or it could just be poor recruitment/pipeline management.

I'll be frank - something like this is pretty rubbish and I would expect the firm to deal with it better than they have, but at the same time I can understand why it might have happened and it may not even be the recruitment team's fault.
    Thanks for rationalising that Jessica, I really appreciate it

• 🤝
    Reactions: GXA123

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    I strongly agree with you, I have attended various events and what I realised is that US firms really valued my background and maturity.
    I believe that Americans in general value candidates who are not afraid to explore other things, while UK firms are more inclined to target young students. I do not know what's best, personally I know I want to become a litigator but also experience a bit of corporate, hence US firms are better for me.
    Excellent point @S87! Both are great approaches which have been tried and tested; I just think there is a slightly different cultural attitude in the US which is manifesting itself in the way US firms recruit here. I recommend candidates apply to a mixture of both UK and US firms and working out which approach seems to suit them better :)

Reactions: Rob93

YJ

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 16, 2021
    I had my Slaughter and May interview on the 28th, earlier this week I emailed asking for an early decision (They said we could when I was invited to the interview!), old them it was for a job application and it is beneficial to add any upcoming VS/TC etc. due to the nature of the job. Grad rec said they 'Should' be able to get back to me by the end of the week. This was on Monday and I still haven't heard back! I emailed this afternoon asking if I can still expect to hear a decision today - any advice? Do I call or just submit the application anyway and wait it out??!!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.