TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021
Excellent point @S87! Both are great approaches which have been tried and tested; I just think there is a slightly different cultural attitude in the US which is manifesting itself in the way US firms recruit here. I recommend candidates apply to a mixture of both UK and US firms and working out which approach seems to suit them better :)

Are there any UK based firms that value maturity and experience?

I’ve only ever got past the initial application stage for US firms and this makes me wonder if I should just stop investing so much in UK firms.

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Do people tend to take a full day off for ACs (where the AC is only around 3 hrs)? Not sure if I should work in the morning or use those hours to get some extra rest? (Sorry for the odd question!)
It's a personal decision! If you feel well prepared and don't want to be twiddling your thumbs and getting yourself stressed out waiting for the AC then I would work in the morning to keep your mind off it. If you have any worry that working in the morning will prevent you from getting in the zone, then don't take the full day off!

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021

I’ve only ever got past the initial application stage for US firms and this makes me wonder if I should just stop investing so much in UK firms.
I’ve got past the initial sift with a few. Not the MC but other city firms that have a particular sector strength in areas I have a clear demonstrated interest in through both my education and work history. For context I’m late 20s and graduated from undergrad a few years ago now.

Reactions: Adrian_S

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021

My sense is that some UK firms focused in quite specific areas (IP, shipping, music etc) may take individuals with more maturity and experience (again my purely anecdotal experience from PGDL friends...)

Reactions: Adrian_S

Kubed

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020

I've had success at 2 silver circle firms - feel free to message me if you want to discuss further. I'm an early 30s career changer.

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    I contacted a firms GR recruitment after booking an AC slot to let them know I couldn't make it as it clashed with one I preferred (obviously I didn't give this reason to the GR rep). They said they would book me in at a later time, to which I thanked them. Much to my dismay, I have received an email tonight stating that I have been withdrawn from the application process!

Any thoughts on how I should approach this?

manchester12

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 18, 2021
    I contacted a firms GR recruitment after booking an AC slot to let them know I couldn't make it as it clashed with one I preferred (obviously I didn't give this reason to the GR rep). They said they would book me in at a later time, to which I thanked them. Much to my dismay, I have received an email tonight stating that I have been withdrawn from the application process!

Any thoughts on how I should approach this?
    That’s strange. Does it say the reason? Has the Ac date you were originally on passed?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.