TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ola830

Star Member
Jan 9, 2021
Not Jessica but I’ve given copies of my passport before. It’s just to verify your identity. If it is a reputable agency I wouldn’t be too concerned.
Perfectly normal they need to see that you have the right to work here and also general information to be checked.
Very common - in fact, they normally need to see the real thing and then take a photocopy of it, although Covid has lightened the regulations around this.

If they don't check your right to work in the UK with a photo (which can only really be done by a passport) they could be fined £10k even if you actually have the right to work in the UK.

Thank you all for the responses! Definitely made me feel better to move forward with this.

hungry_for_TC

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 2, 2021
Has anyone got any insight on Ropes & Gray's assessment centre? In particular the "elevator pitch presentation" - what does that entail exactly?
I'm going to be at the AC that's on tomorrow - apparently, they give you an OK time to prepare but just be sure to get your points across in time

Limanehious

Star Member
Mar 19, 2021
@people who get v high Watson Glaser percentiles -- would anyone be willing to share how you manage to do well? I've done the free online practices and seen the thread on TCLA but its just not quite working. Wondering if anyone has any particularly helpful resources? Would be much appreciated. hope everyone's well.
I’m not sure how well I have done, but I’ve always passed. I spent less time practising and more time understand the logic / reasoning behind it. Until that becomes my logic. I found listening to the podcast with Assessment Day’s creator really helped. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss the mechanics of it all

hungry_for_TC

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 2, 2021
No one uses briefcases these days so much so that it might be odd to turn up with one!

If you want something like a handbag, then something like this will be ok: KROSER Laptop Tote bag 15.6 Inch Large Shoulder Bag Lightweight with USB Charging Port Water-repellent Computer Tote Bag Women Stylish Handbag: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories. If you want something less feminine, then something like this laptop case might be appropriate: iSOUL 14-15.6 inch Shock Resistant Laptop Sleeve Case Briefcase Bag [Accessory Pocket] Compatible for 14 to 15.6" MacBook Pro/Surface Book /XPS 15/Chromebook/HP/Lenovo - Grey : Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

However, many people just bring a smart rucksack with them (and that is fine too!).

I'd like to report that thanks to your continued aid & support I ran to my nearest 2nd hand store and got one of those big handbags. Thank you Jessica for clarifying what's appropriate!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker! Would you recommend calling even in case I decide not to accept a vacation scheme offer, or is it sufficient to explain my reasons for rejecting the offer in an email?

Thank you!
I would personally still call.

Obviously you can just email, but if is far more polite to do these things over the phone and then follow up in writing in my opinion.

Reactions: M991

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Congratulations- very well done! 👏 👏 👏 Including my thoughts to your questions below-
1) Your motivations for why law sound good- ensure you provide evidence of initiative to back up your interest in media and law (maybe an event you attended, something you read etc.)
2) For this question, I am unsure how your pursuit of exercise related to being a skill that you've gained outside of your studies. Maybe start with talking about your resilience or organisational skills and the experiences and initiatives that have helped you develop it rather than the other way around.
3)I think you can pick anything as long as you state the topic you're interested in ➡️ talk the reader/interviewer through why you find it interesting (relate back to own experiences)➡️ identify its wider implications (on society, the economy, the group of people it concerns etc.)
Thank you very much!

• 🤝
Reactions: AvniD

chocolatebagel

Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 20, 2022
Hi, hopefully this hasn't been asked before but do BCLP ghost? I got my testing invite quite soon after sending off my application (completed tests in December) but heard absolutely nothing since. It's been a long time and seeing lots of people on here get offers, interviews etc. Just wondering if they traditionally ghost for vac schemes :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.