TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fruiterloopers

Star Member
  • Oct 4, 2021
    I am soo sure Freshfields is gonna be a PFO. I mean I did apply to the vac scheme with a 2:2 and a low 2:1 as well as BBC at A level. But I claimed mitigating circumstances, and spent ages perfecting the other parts of my application. I am slightly gutted that I haven’t even received the Watson Glaser test invite..... Freshfields was my dream firm.
    I just got mine yesterday so don't fret!

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    How do you answer the following question: what would you contribute as a trainee / why do you think you will be a good trainee solicitor?

@AvniD @George Maxwell @James Carrabino
    I'd highlight 2-3 of my strengths and skills ➡️ elaborate on how I developed/applied them and ➡️ detail how they're relevant to my role as a trainee (link back to firm's values and vision here too, if possible).

NaimK

Valued Member
    May 6, 2019
    Just a general question for you guys. I'm looking at a Watson Glaser feedback report and I've received separate percentile scores for each category of the R.E.D. mnemonic (Recognize Assumptions, Evaluate Arguments, Draw Conclusions).

How does each letter of that mnemonic correspond with the 5 sections of the WG test i.e. Evaluation, Deduction, Inference, Interpretation and Assumption?

I already know assumption would fit under R, evaluation under E, deduction under D. What about the other two (inference and interpretation)? I wanna know what areas to focus on for practice.

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Good Morning Everyone, @Jessica Booker

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to answer the following two questions when you already work at the firm? It is my dream firm, working as a paralegal here is everything I wanted and more, but not sure how to convey that in less than 150 words! I already do fee earning work, do I bring that up, or focus more on the culture/ethos of the firm? Thanks!!

Question 1: Why do you want to pursue a career as a solicitor and what qualities do you think you possess to be a successful lawyer at Birketts LLP? (150 words)

Question 2: When selecting firms to apply to, what criteria did you use and why do you believe that Birketts LLP satisfies those criteria? (150 words)
    @Limanehious I'd suggest using your time at the firm to demonstrate that you understand the firm's ethos and culture, their expectations from their trainees and vision for the future. One of the biggest advantages you have is the fact that you're an 'insider', so please do mention your work at the firm and always contextualise your motivations for working at the firm with your own experiences (good and bad), initiatives and ambitions for your career. Let me know how you get on with drafting your answers- wishing you the best 😇

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    anyone else get big post-AC anxiety ? so hard not to replay parts of the interview and keep thinking of shoulda, woulda, coulda moments

Yeah I do. Had my first ac a week ago and it was the worst experience after as I knew what I had done wrong. Couldn't stop thinking about it until after I found out if I got on or not. Honestly I just dropped everything and tried to relax until I found out, it kinda helped. Hang out with friends, watch a movie, try to chill :)

My post-AC anxiety was so terrible- I replayed every single moment of my AC for two weeks and somehow convinced myself that I performed terribly and would not get the job (I guess I was trying to shield myself from the pain caused by a rejection 😅).

I realised that trying to 'force' myself to not feel anxious was a futile endeavour and made me feel worse than I already did. As @JadeWadey01 said, trying to relax is really important. The way I did this was to channel my anxiety into some sort of productivity, and I began churning out paintings every day in the lead up to receiving the outcome of my AC.

In hindsight, while the paintings were by any standard exceedingly awful, they helped me keep in touch with the world outside making applications and being an aspiring solicitor, and this was absolutely invaluable in keeping calm during an understandably stressful period.

I am rooting for you and I really hope you have found support and comfort in the forum while you await your result- wishing you the very best 😇

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.