TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chi.c

Feb 11, 2021
Same! They don't mention anything about an interview, and the slot is only 2 and a half hours so I don't think there can be one. But on their website they say that they have a full assessment centre as the final stage with interview and all? extremely confused lol I've emailed grad recruitment
yeaa I had a look at their website too and I'm just as confused ahah. Could you let me know once they get back to you?

• 🤝
Reactions: sakaesr99

I.Like.UFOs.Not.PFOs

Esteemed Member
Jan 6, 2021
omg congrats on all the ACs guys!! ✨✨ commiserations for any PFOs received/presumed - please don't be disheartened and I really wish you all the best of luck for the rest of the cycle 💖 it's really tough out here and actually pressing send on an application is a massive step and no matter where you get to, you've locked in some experience for the next time you're facing that stage. Hope everyone has a restful weekend and try not to refresh emails or even think about apps - I know I'm logging off til Monday!!

PS: Can someone else manifest for RS next week because I'm clearly not doing a good job🥴
✨I’ll happily take over manifesting for RS applicants. You guys deserve a hug after the stress of their application process 😅

This is probably HR’s POV before sending those holding emails:

Geoff Ramsey Achievement Hunter GIF by Rooster Teeth

SOAS22

Esteemed Member
  • Nov 26, 2021
    This might be a silly question but for the question in the Pennington’s app saying ‘Explain why you are applying to the location you have chosen?’ (250 words)

Am I okay to briefly explain my reasons, or is this question expecting more than this? The reason I ask is because other firms I have applied to who have asked this question the word limit is 150 max

TCApp2021

Legendary Member
    Dec 21, 2021
    I also got this, and I am also confused that how commercial exercise (I assumed something like a case study) can be combined with a presentation
    Same! They don't mention anything about an interview, and the slot is only 2 and a half hours so I don't think there can be one. But on their website they say that they have a full assessment centre as the final stage with interview and all? extremely confused lol I've emailed grad recruitment
    I think the interview with partner/competency element will be the next stage. The email says that this Part 1- so will probably have to pass this to do the partner interview etc.

Reactions: sakaesr99

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    Hi everyone, I have just updated my Application Pitfalls thread with this week and next week's posts so that the advice may help any candidates who are still writing applications this weekend - good luck everyone!

The two updates are here and here and I have also edited the master post to include both! This marks the end of my Application Pitfalls thread for the months of December and January, but please let me know whether there are any other topics that the community would like to have a thread on!

I hope you all have a great weekend :)

Last edited:

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    How are you supposed to talk about any recent work a firm has worked on in depth at an AC, when they dont disclose the names of most of the firms they work with on the project finance front? (you aren't able to fully research the work)

Reactions: Donuttime

average_jo123

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 11, 2021
    For those who completed the Pinsent Masons GMA, did you receive an email confirmation after you finished the test? I completed it before the deadline but received no email confirmation. I logged back into the portal and the status of my application just says "invite to GMA" and there's no confirmation that I've completed the test either.

Sorry for the dumb question but I'm just ultra paranoid whenever I complete a psychometric test with a firm but receive no confirmation that the test results have actually gone through to grad rec lol

React:
    ✅ - got email confirmation/application portal confirmed GMA completed
    ❌ - no email confirmation/application portal only states "invite to GMA"

LEL

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 22, 2020
    How are you supposed to talk about any recent work a firm has worked on in depth at an AC, when they dont disclose the names of most of the firms they work with on the project finance front? (you aren't able to fully research the work)
    If you google search the deal/matter and add 'law firm' you might be able to find the firms involved. Bloomberg Law is really great for that :)

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    I would go into that asking questions. If they tell you who your interviewers are, prep intelligent questions about work they've been on. If there's a particular piece you want to discuss, which you'd expect all firm members to know, prep variously broad and specific questions to ask depending on your interviewers' involvement

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.