TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sfernan21

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 26, 2021
I would say it is usually within two weeks. I'd wait until either Wednesday afternoon or Thursday morning before contacting them though (rather than tomorrow).
Hi Jessica,

I am in the same position as the previous commentator. It has been two weeks today for me post written task [final stage]. The firm replied to me very quickly after interview (on the same day), but have now taken 2 weeks post completing the task. In the email confirming receipt, they said they would get back to me in 'due course'.

Would you recommend emailing them, or just sitting tight? Surely if they were going to accept/reject me, me sending an email wouldn't impact this.

How would you advise phrasing the email?

Thanks for the continued help!

NaimK

Valued Member
May 6, 2019
Wow, you focused more on why you than why Gibson am surprised but since you reached the interview I might follow that structure also. Also thank you very much for this it is really helpful and congratulations.

I personally did about 200 on Gibson Dunn, about 125 on why commercial law, and most of the balance on covering any interests, positions of responsibility and non-academic achivements.

Reactions: George Maxwell

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    No worries! I tried to follow the guidance in the question which had a lot of 'why you' questions. Good luck!
    I think that this is a great strategy, the firm knows what they do and they want to know what you can bring to the table!
    I personally did about 200 on Gibson Dunn, about 125 on why commercial law, and most of the balance on covering any interests, positions of responsibility and non-academic achivements.
    Thank you very much for this great advice guys.

Yes I agree it is a great strategy.

Yes I agree more on your achievements is a good approach.

I will follow this structure also then.

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Fab thank you! Any idea of how recent the deals should be?
    I think as a rule of thumb ideally within the last year but you can go back a bit further if your reasons are very good. Skadden was clearly unimpressed with my mentioning their work on RJR, chronicled in Barbarians at the Gate, in the 80s - this is definitely too far

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    I only have one grade below a 65 (a 63) so is it pretty safe to bet that this is what they'll grill me on? 😂
    What I've heard about Slaughters is it varies a lot by interviewer. However - if they grill you on a grade, it's not that they actually care about the grade (or you wouldn't be in interview) but that they want to see how you deal under pressure.

gt1465

Jan 8, 2022
    What I've heard about Slaughters is it varies a lot by interviewer. However - if they grill you on a grade, it's not that they actually care about the grade (or you wouldn't be in interview) but that they want to see how you deal under pressure.
    good to know, thank you! I have heard such a variety of experiences from people who have interviewed 😭

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

I am in the same position as the previous commentator. It has been two weeks today for me post written task [final stage]. The firm replied to me very quickly after interview (on the same day), but have now taken 2 weeks post completing the task. In the email confirming receipt, they said they would get back to me in 'due course'.

Would you recommend emailing them, or just sitting tight? Surely if they were going to accept/reject me, me sending an email wouldn't impact this.

How would you advise phrasing the email?

Thanks for the continued help!
    Same advice, sit it out until the 11th or 12th working day since you did the assessment and then contact them and politely ask if they can provide details of when you will hear back (rather than asking for an update).

They won't make a decision based on you asking unless you are exceptionally rude in the process.

Reactions: Sfernan21

Miki3999

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Jun 2, 2019
    Be prepared to answer quirky questions like ‘imagine I’m an alien, explain what law is to me in 3 main points’ - that completely threw me😅 good luck!!☘️
    I managed to visibly confuse one of the partners when I said that uni is free in Scotland, I thought his eyes were going jump out of his head and the other partner laughed at him.

Last edited:

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Anyone else not holding out hope for Baker McKenzie getting back to people by today..haven’t heard anything since post-app so not looking great
    I think they are really busy still reviewing applications, VI and etc I emailed them on Thursday about my WG report and they have still not gotten back to me. In the past, they have been really quick to get back with email responses so they are really busy trying to get all applications reviewed before tomorrow. Also tomorrow their direct TC applications open for anyone interested.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.