TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Could it be because of the high costs incurred to run the vac scheme in the first place?
Honestly, no. It isn’t “that” expensive compared to other things and even then if firms stopped putting on the expensive socials, that money could easily go into people’s pockets instead.

Many other industries will pay somewhere around 70% of a graduate salary, which looks to be what Travers Smith are doing. To me that is far more appropriate and sensible.

Paying £250 more a week is going to be somewhere between £20-80k for most firms. They could easily make cuts elsewhere if they really wanted to to pay that, especially when they aren’t having to cover travel expenses in the same way like they used to.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
So I tried to do this exact thing as preparation one of my ACs and ended up having to scrap it completely because it was completely different from what I was given on the day (despite preparing based on testimonials of previous ACs at the same firm). While the formalities might be the same, the content might actually differ wildly (even in different AC dates or cycles for the same firm). You might be able to come up with structures for specific kinds of requests (e.g. summarising the benefits and downsides of specific acquisition targets / summarising the opportunities and risks of a single target for the client's business), and making them is good practice, but it seemed that predicting written exercises in such a way was quite difficult.

Not sure if anyone has any different opinions? This is based only on my personal experiences.
Completely agree with this. Sometimes people over prepare and get a very strong mindset on what a written exercise should be structured like. They then get into the exercise and apply that thinking despite instructions saying otherwise or the content not really needing that format. There is nothing wrong with preparing but always do so with an open and flexible mindset. You need to adapt your thinking to the situation you are presented with, not with the situation you prepared for.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Lian Lian, Hele25 and Nicole15

djqb

Legendary Member
Sep 6, 2020
In light of all the frustrations that us applicants face, I think this article presents a time-efficient solution to the question of post-application feedback:

https://www.legalcheek.com/2022/02/graduate-recruiters-should-provide-tick-box-feedback/

1644316467940.png

I know this might be too much of an ask, but could @Jaysen perhaps leverage your network with graduate recruiters to get them to at least consider such initiatives? It would be extremely helpful!

I know there are former graduate recruiters such as @Jessica Booker, and current recruiters such as @Paul - Shearman & Sterling and @WillkieGemma on this forum. As a collective of current applicants, I think we would all appreciate your thoughts on such an initiative, and whether it would be feasible from the perspective of a recruiter.

Thank you very much in advance for your thoughts.

Last edited:

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
In light of all the frustrations that us applicants face, I think this article presents a time-efficient solution to the question to post-application feedback:

https://www.legalcheek.com/2022/02/graduate-recruiters-should-provide-tick-box-feedback/ View attachment 3848

I know this might be too much of an ask, but could @Jaysen perhaps leverage your network with graduate recruiters to perhaps get them to at least consider such initiatives?

I know there are former graduate recruiters such as @Jessica Booker, and current recruiters such as @Paul - Shearman & Sterling and @WillkieGemma on this forum. As a collective of current applicants, I think we would all appreciate your thoughts on such an initiative, and whether it would be feasible from the perspective of a recruiter

Thank you very much in advance for your thoughts.
post application feedback would be amazing even in this very simplistic form but I'm still waiting for post final interview feedback 2 months after the event after a 7 month and several stage application process. Definitely soured my opinion of that law firm...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.