TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nisadee

Valued Member
Oct 9, 2019
Invited to Addleshaw's AC last week but couldn't make that date so I selected the option saying "can't make it" and it said graduate recruitment would contact me with alternative times. They still haven't- should I email?

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Agree with you here @Jessica Booker
Hi @Jessica Booker and Gemma,

I understand and agree with some of your remarks. However, may I ask you how candidates can understand how to improve their apps?
I mean, if I receive a general rejection how do I know what went wrong?

English is not my first language, however I have British people in my life who do not work in the legal industry but are happy to look at my apps and give me their feedback. However, this is not enough and it can be frustrating and mentally challenging at times.

HopefulForALawJob

Star Member
  • Feb 3, 2022
    Dechert VI and Written Exercise just hit my inbox. Applied on the last day (from memory) and it was defs for the summer vac/2024 training contract. Thanks for all the help in the forum thus far! What do written exercises usually involve? Is the VI one of those ones where you can re-record as many times as you like (easy as) or is it a one take show (worst thing in the world lol)? (And remember for all those who got Latham rejections, WAGMI!)

IRO

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer 5
    Jan 21, 2021
    Just a random thought but, has anyone done the Travers Smith winter scheme and can confirm you literally get paid £750 for a week?
    More generally, does anyone have any thoughts on why the massive discrepancy between TS and the usual £450 that firms pay per week of vacation scheme?
    The reason the pay is so high at TS is because they used to offer a two week scheme at what's a fairly standard rate for VS (iirc £450/week) and then decided to shorten their scheme to be one week only but keep the pay roughly the same (so now you get £750 but its for one week instead of getting £900 for two weeks). I think this is a pretty poor deal, as I'd prefer more time to experience the firm/work to decide if it's right for me but to each their own. It's also helped TS cut costs as they can get away with spending less overall and don't have run a lengthy VS.

Here's an article about it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.