TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

APPLE619

Star Member
Dec 6, 2021
Thank you! Also, is preparing a few hours before the AC recommended.. remember seeing something in the forum suggest that I should try to do something unrelated immediately prior to the AC to help with nerves.
I listened to all the Attack on Titan and Naruto Theme Songs + OST's right up to my AC -- It really put me in the mood to do well haha. Not sure if it'll work for everyone!

Jellybelly829

Jan 23, 2022
Osborne Clarke grad most recent Instagram post says the assessment centre will have a competency interview with two partners? I am so confused
If anyone has already contacted grad recruitment about this please message! I am also very confused about what to prepare, as different sources say different things to the email we received. (I have applied for Vac scheme)

Reactions: GXA123

NMA

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Nov 19, 2020
@Jessica Booker Hi Jessica, just got a 2.2 in one of my modules, how badly would this affect my applications if the rest of my modules were a consistent 2.1? This subject is a bit naff anyways, as year-on-year at my university people consistently don't do great in it. I should also have mitigating circumstances for it too.

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
@Jessica Booker Hi Jessica, just got a 2.2 in one of my modules, how badly would this affect my applications if the rest of my modules were a consistent 2.1? This subject is a bit naff anyways, as year-on-year at my university people consistently don't do great in it. I should also have mitigating circumstances for it too.
I'm not a recruiter but I don't think one 2.2 grade in isolation would be an immediate no for an applicant if they met the academic criteria, however I wouldn't describe the subject as naff in an interview if questioned on it. I have been questioned on my lowest grade in an interview and gave a reasoned response as to why I thought it was lower and in what I took from that experience to ensure I didn't get a grade that low again.

Where it will make more of a difference is if your app is already borderline that could be what tips it into the no pile or if it came down to two applicants and the only distinguishing feature was better academics from another. I can imagine that would be the same for any candidate, and that consistent 2.1 can mean different things, consistent 60/61 or 68/69 are very different.

RachelLouise22

Distinguished Member
Jan 30, 2021
I have 2:2s in 2 modules and an embarrassing 48 in one (I do have extenuating circumstances for this one) and it hasn’t stopped me one bit :)

21wajsz

Legendary Member
  • Dec 3, 2020
    Hi everyone! In need of some advice.

My undergraduate graduation falls on the last day of my 3-week scheme, and in the contract, it says I'm entitled to up to 2 days of holiday but it would be favourable if I did not use them.

I'm the first in my family to graduate from university and they are willing to fly out for my graduation.

How would graduate recruitment view me requesting a day of leave and will this impact my consideration for a TC?

Thank you in advance!

• 🤝
    Reactions: OB

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Highly unlikely to have an impact, especially if you have mitigating circumstances (although there would be no need to claim the mitigating circumstances if you have 2.1s in other modules.)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone! In need of some advice.

My undergraduate graduation falls on the last day of my 3-week scheme, and in the contract, it says I'm entitled to up to 2 days of holiday but it would be favourable if I did not use them.

I'm the first in my family to graduate from university and they are willing to fly out for my graduation.

How would graduate recruitment view me requesting a day of leave and will this impact my consideration for a TC?

Thank you in advance!
    Most likely this won’t be a problem, but it’s best to ask the firm as soon as possible.

• 🤝
    Reactions: 21wajsz

Future$trainee

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 13, 2020
    Anyone looked at the DACB VI Questions? The email says we can view the questions but I can't see where and don't want to accidentally start my VI
    Yeah, I didn't understand this. Do you think they made a mistake?

I clicked on the link and the first page was just the general info about the interview. And the next button says 'start interview' so I didn't click. It would be weird if they let us see the 4 questions beforehand.

Reactions: LS_1998

imdeded

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 5, 2022
    I got given 7 days to do an online assessment and have been working through it slowly until today, the 7th day, where it abruptly expired at a random time and now my assessment got sent off only partly completed - i emailed gradrec asking because they never specified a time the url would expire and i assumed it was until the end of the day (they havent replied yet) but any thoughts?

Miki3999

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Jun 2, 2019
    There will likely be no impact whatsoever; I have 2:2 and even some 3rds and still get invited to ACs at MC firms. As long as you are on track for a 2:1 you are 100% fine

Donuttime

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    May 17, 2021
    I got given 7 days to do an online assessment and have been working through it slowly until today, the 7th day, where it abruptly expired at a random time and now my assessment got sent off only partly completed - i emailed gradrec asking because they never specified a time the url would expire and i assumed it was until the end of the day (they havent replied yet) but any thoughts?
    What firm?

antisocial applicant

Esteemed Member
    Jan 12, 2022
    I have 3 2:2s and I've gotten past plenty of paper sift for of 5 of the 7 firms I applied for, it's really not a big deal if you can clearly express your motivation and competency for the position.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.