TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scandi

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 28, 2021
    Assessment Day secured with Ropes & Gray!

Amazing news after being a bit disheartened following a post-vac scheme rejection. The AC would consist of an interview, negotiation, written exercise and elevator pitch-styled presentation. Any hints & tips on resources would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks again to the TCLA community for great support so far! 😀

mckelly

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 19, 2020
    Hey, I applied to Freshfields as well.

Opportunity: London summer vac scheme
    Applied: few days before the deadline can't remember which day exactly
    Completed WG: 12 Jan

I emailed grad rec on 02 Feb (3 weeks post-WG) to request an update because I was worried that my WG score didn't go through. I also asked when's the latest we should expect to hear back (whether good news or bad news). This was their whole response:

"Thank you for your query. I can confirm that we have received your Watson Glaser test. We will send any updates in the next few weeks".​

My friend (very similar application and WG dates as mine) got her PFO post-WG on 07 Feb. I haven't heard back post-WG. They also didn't mention in their email when they are holding ACs until. I'm personally trying to mentally prepare myself for a PFO lol but if they're holding ACs until the end of March then we may still have a chance.
    Ok thank you so much! Probably is a PFO, but as we all know, it isn't a rejection until you get the email

• 🤝
    Reactions: average_jo123

Zaidoz10

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 6, 2022
    Hey guys I’ve just been put on a reserve list for an assessment day for the summer vac scheme with Trowers & Hamlins. They said if a spot opened up, they’d reach out. Does a spot ever actually open up or is it highly unlikely?

LEL

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 22, 2020
    How would you answer an interview question around 'detail' - e.g. Tell me about a time you recently worked with a lot of detail
    I've never been asked this before, or even ever prepared for it, but it's about showing your eye for detail and meticulousness. Maybe give an example of when you had to proofread something or count something (like money), and go through the process. For e.g., your ability to focus on a task, making sure to be thorough and observant in your reading process, taking extra time to make sure the work is free of mistakes. Also add the impact of your attention to detail, e.g. organisation was kept to a high level, the team was well coordinated etc.

But overall, focus on your actions and how you can demonstrate you are detail oriented.

JSM123

Star Member
    Oct 11, 2021
    @Jessica Booker (or anyone)
    Do you have any advice for what to do if you have a TC offer at a firm that isn't really your first choice (not trying to sound ungrateful but it doesn't offer seats in a few areas I'm v keen on) but a vacation scheme at a firm you are really keen on but without a guarantee it will lead to a TC offer? Would it be okay to accept the TC offer and still do the vac scheme, then cancelling the TC offer if you were successful?

Reactions: George Maxwell

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    So i got placed on the reserve list for Trowers' AC (London). Any idea how likely it is to actually happen? @Jessica Booker
    Unfortunately I can’t give any indication because there are too many variables involved here. But in short, for the firm to run a hold list, there must be a chance. If there wasn’t, a firm wouldn’t bother having one.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: AvniD and LS_1998

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker (or anyone)
    Do you have any advice for what to do if you have a TC offer at a firm that isn't really your first choice (not trying to sound ungrateful but it doesn't offer seats in a few areas I'm v keen on) but a vacation scheme at a firm you are really keen on but without a guarantee it will lead to a TC offer? Would it be okay to accept the TC offer and still do the vac scheme, then cancelling the TC offer if you were successful?
    The main factor to consider when thinking about this is when are you going to be committed to the firm. For instance, if you are starting the LPC/SQE in September, you could be committed to your TC offered firm as early in June/July due to onboarding processes. As soon as you start those processes you will be committed to the firm on a level beyond just accepting a TC and may be liable for costs incurred by the firm.

But outside of that consideration (and firms will hate me for saying this), yes you can accept and then renege.

Be mindful to check your VS offer terms and conditions though as it is not unknown for some firms to state you can’t complete the VS if you have accepted a TC elsewhere. Not all firms have this though.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.