TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Thanks a lot! I’ll check out that post now.

Unfortunately I genuinely have no idea what is meant by skills assessment. The AC is in person, there is little information in terms of the recruitment cycle anywhere, on the forum or otherwise. I was hoping that someone here might be able to provide insight but Wedlake Bell is scarcely mentioned for some reason.

It literally just says that the day will involve an interview and a skills assessment (2 hours in total).
Perhaps @Jessica Booker will know what a skills assessment would entail? I could imagine it being anything from an online test to a competency interview, which isn't very helpful!

Reactions: George Maxwell

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Thank you for the clarification! Also, are there any tips on how to prep for in house paralegal roles? I have one on Tuesday, but I'm unsure about how much research is required into the company itself
Hi @Amanpreet Kaur! I have written on how to prepare for paralegal interviews here, and I think the main to think about for an in-house role is that you need to demonstrate a sincere enthusiasm for the work the company is doing as it will be all you are working on!

They may wish to know whether you plan to leave to pursue a training contract one day or not - do you know whether you are interviewing for a fixed-term role or an indefinite position? Make sure to have an answer prepared for that! There is a possibly outdated example of the type of questions a candidate received in an in-house interview from a few years ago at this link.

I hope that all helps :)

Reactions: George Maxwell

ImTheBoss

Aug 30, 2020
seems like a silly question, but can anyone recommend a good handbook that teaches you about what its really like to work as a commercial solicitor including legal drafting

I have done the lpc but i still feel like info is not hitting the nail on the head when it comes to real life

Reactions: GXA123

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Perhaps @Jessica Booker will know what a skills assessment would entail? I could imagine it being anything from an online test to a competency interview, which isn't very helpful!
Unfortunately I haven’t got a view on this. I would probably contact the firm and see if they can provide more details on what it is.

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Any tips for Denton's telephone interview??
I do not know about Denton's specifically, but in my experience, telephone interviews were sort of a middle ground between a video interview and a face-to-face interview!

In both the telephone interviews I did, I had to answer some questions about myself and my motivations as well as a range of competency questions! These types of interview are less about building rapport and seeing where the conversation takes you than may be the case in a face-to-face interview and they are more about the quality of your answer. They are definitely not as formulaic as a video interview though and you should still try to maintain a conversational style :)

A

AspiringIPLawyer

Anyone applied for Fieldfisher direct TC 2024 and not been sent the test? I applied on the deadline (4th Feb) but haven't heard anything since or been asked to do any tests! Last year I applied in June and I got sent the tests a couple of days after?

Reactions: GXA123
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.