TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

legalgemma

Distinguished Member
Jan 11, 2022
Go for a walk and enjoy a flat white. Rejections stink but are not meant to be forever..I was rejected 3 times before landing my current role!
Believe that things will come to you at your best time and can transform them into the most unbelievable experience.
Music really helps me! There’s also strong evidence that it can calm us and heighten positive emotions :)

Listen to something that makes you feel like the boss sauce that you are!
Very cheesy, but if you are the kind of person who has some go-to music... that could help when pressed for time? Found that it still works recently myself after not using it since my more athletic days - quickly pushes me into a more positive, "fighting" mood!

Edit: had not seen Adrian_S's reply when I posted. Looks like music is a strong contender.
thanks so much to you all :) I put on trusty Take That's Greatest Hits and it powered me through. Really appreciate the support!
take that GIF by London Theatre Direct

lawstress

Star Member
Nov 24, 2021
So I've got a vac scheme in the summer, and just sent over some documents that the firm asked for a few days ago. I haven't heard back from them acknowledging receipt of the documents. I'm wondering whether I should follow up with them to ask whether what I sent over was okay, and also from people who have done vac schemes (this is my first), how much communication there is with the firm up until the vac scheme.

SCN

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 20, 2020
@Jessica Booker if you get a TC offer in Spring and cancel your summer vacation schemes, how annoyed do the summer firms get? Will they blacklist you from the firm?
if you cancel your summer vac schemes because, I'm guessing, you're accepting the TC offer in spring... cheeky thought but does it really matter if the summer firms get annoyed since you've already got your TC. on a serious note, the firms probably won't be mad as it'll be something they encounter every single year

aspiringlawyer123_

Legendary Member
Dec 11, 2021
if you cancel your summer vac schemes because, I'm guessing, you're accepting the TC offer in spring... cheeky thought but does it really matter if the summer firms get annoyed since you've already got your TC. on a serious note, the firms probably won't be mad as it'll be something they encounter every single year
Yesss I just meant like for future movement purposes!

Reactions: CC03

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
So I've got a vac scheme in the summer, and just sent over some documents that the firm asked for a few days ago. I haven't heard back from them acknowledging receipt of the documents. I'm wondering whether I should follow up with them to ask whether what I sent over was okay, and also from people who have done vac schemes (this is my first), how much communication there is with the firm up until the vac scheme.
Firms will often not confirm receipt of an email, to be honest - it's a lot of back and forth that isn't often needed.

They will often just chase up if they haven't got it.

Reactions: AvniD

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker if you get a TC offer in Spring and cancel your summer vacation schemes, how annoyed do the summer firms get? Will they blacklist you from the firm?
They won't blacklist you, but at the same time they are probably not going to do you any favours if you are accepting a TC elsewhere (not that you would need any favours from them really).

Even if they did blacklist you, why would you care? You have accepted a TC

By the time you completed your training contract, the firm is unlikely to remember you were blacklisted and they won't hold that type of information for that long anyway (they should only really be storing your personal data for around 12 months after the role has closed).

• ℹ️
Reactions: George Maxwell and LS_1998

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Exactly - happens all the time.

The firm will be disappointed but as a graduate recruiter, you ultimately plan for things like this happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.