TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I've just been invited to an assessment centre with Irwin Mitchell (YAY!!) (Manchester office for anyone still waiting!)

however, they've only given one date and it conflicts with an LPC exam. They have said on the email that if unable to attend the allocated date it is unlikely they will be able to make other arrangements.

What should I do? @Jessica Booker is it likely that I would be able to resit the exam in summer so I can attend the assessment centre?
I would explain to the firm you have an exam on that day and ask if they have any flexibility.

Reactions: AvniD

lawcurious

Distinguished Member
Nov 23, 2021
for telephone interviews - do you keep your answers short? Mine says its about 15 minutes and I'm wondering if that's just a rough time and might go over 15 minutes or should i try and keep my answers very short to stick to the 15 mins?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
for telephone interviews - do you keep your answers short? Mine says its about 15 minutes and I'm wondering if that's just a rough time and might go over 15 minutes or should i try and keep my answers very short to stick to the 15 mins?
I suspect there will only be a limited number of questions and probably less opportunity to ask questions at the end. I’d expect that the interview may only have 3-4 questions.

Y-Gurl

Dec 2, 2021
Had my Macfarlanes AC today.... Was quite tough and intense but enjoyed the interview part.

To all those who have had ACs with the firm before: How long did they take to get back to you afterwards? Thanks in advance!

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
I've just been invited to an assessment centre with Irwin Mitchell (YAY!!) (Manchester office for anyone still waiting!)

however, they've only given one date and it conflicts with an LPC exam. They have said on the email that if unable to attend the allocated date it is unlikely they will be able to make other arrangements.

What should I do? @Jessica Booker is it likely that I would be able to resit the exam in summer so I can attend the assessment centre?
I had a similar issue with an LPC exam and my provider basically said tough luck - if I choose not to sit the exam I'd have to apply for a concession for absence and the exam board may not accept that as a valid reason so I may fail the assessment and then have to take it as second attempt showing as a resit on my transcript and the various capping implications that that would have on the final grade. Instead I spoke to the company whom the interview was with and they were very understanding and offered me an alternative date.

xtinew

Distinguished Member
  • Mar 15, 2021
    I kindly asked Pinsents for an update on my AC by email just because I need to travel for my next in-person AC and I would withdraw the in-person one if Pinsents gives me an offer. Ideally, this wouldn't happen too close to the assigned day (this Thursday).

They haven't gotten back to me since I sent the email Thursday of last week. Would I be able to give them all a call tomorrow morning because of the urgency? @Jessica Booker

edit: my AC was on Feb 9th

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.