TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021
This is quite an odd question to ask, but I have my wisdom tooth coming out, and I have an interview coming up soon. Should I mention this at the start of the interview?

My speech is just really slowed that's all otherwise I keep biting the inside of my mouth 😂😢😭

Omg this is what happened to me during my Weil VI! My lower jaw kept locking up because of my damn wisdom teeth!

I mentioned it to grad recruitment - but not sure it made much of a difference :(

• 🤝
Reactions: djqb

djqb

Legendary Member
Sep 6, 2020
100% 😂 no one wants to be remembered as “that guy that kept drooling during the interview” without good reason LOL

(and on a side note, don’t worry about the procedure - I think we’ve all seen those awful videos and heard the stories of people saying it was sooooo terrible but I’ve had all 4 of mine removed and honestly it’s more of an annoyance due to the swelling/drooling/stiff jaw than anything else…. Good luck!!)

Omg this is what happened to me during my Weil VI! My lower jaw kept locking up because of my damn wisdom teeth!

I mentioned it to grad recruitment - but not sure it made much of a difference :(

Cheers guys thanks for the advice! I'll definitely mention it at the start of my interview! 🙂

Reactions: AvniD and TC fiend

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
This is quite an odd question to ask, but I have my wisdom tooth coming out, and I have an interview coming up soon. Should I mention this at the start of the interview?

My speech is just really slowed that's all otherwise I keep biting the inside of my mouth 😂😢😭
I'd probably reference it in a light-hearted way. They can't really do anything about it, but it might make you feel a bit more comfortable during the interview that you don't have to be so self-aware of its impact on your speech.

• Love
Reactions: djqb

letmeintolaw

Distinguished Member
Nov 11, 2021
I am sure people can answer this better than I can, but:

1. IMO, a week ahead is more than enough time, especially if you have previously prepared for TIs/VIs/HR interviews.

2. By this stage, you should have your competency and motivational Qs pretty much nailed on. If not, do not panic, just keep revising them over and over, speaking out loud and practicing with friends + family.

3. From my experience, I spent the 3-days before my final interviews memorising a few deals, key relevant commercial themes, growth areas of the firm and its recent news [office openings, lateral hires, new practice areas (ESG)]. During the interviews, this was hardly covered, although this will of course vary.

At the end of the day, if you do all of this, it will be stored in your 'subconscious filing cabinet' and you can then pull out what you need, as and when.

Just be yourself, be confident, smile and you will be fine! From my experience, try not to guess 'what they want' or 'what a usual applicant would do', because interviewers can read you like a book.

Hope that helps.
That is super helpful! Thanks so much

Reactions: TCG and Sfernan21

Beluga

Star Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
Jan 31, 2021
In my application, I often mention the current development of my start-up.
However, everything is still at seed level and I am really struggling on how to bring my idea to the next level.
Does anybody know how to get some mentorship or any kind help for struggling entrepreneurs?
Are you at university? Often universities have organisations or partnerships with organisations where alumni and partner businesses can offer info and where you can network with other entrepreneurs / potential hires etc!!

Reactions: George Maxwell

xtinew

Distinguished Member
  • Mar 15, 2021
    Ringed three of Pinsents' GR members and got into voicemail for all of them throughout this morning and this afternoon. Looks like I'm going to have to attend my AC tomorrow and Friday

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Are you at university? Often universities have organisations or partnerships with organisations where alumni and partner businesses can offer info and where you can network with other entrepreneurs / potential hires etc!!
    Thank you for your comment.

No, I work full-time and not able to access my uni services.

Beluga

Star Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 31, 2021
    Those who have been successful at final stage interviews - roughly how much time did you spend prepping per day? And is one week ahead enough time to prepare fully? not that I have any other option lol
    I personally never spent more than one whole week ahead of an AC to spend prepping for that particular firm!! (others might have taken a different approach which works for them better, this was just me and also I am in the middle of term for a notoriously busy degree so couldn’t afford to take more time than that).

I spent a varied amount of hours per day actually preparing since each AC was so different in my case but I did try to do these things every day:
    - FT (I put topics of interest on the app so just looked at those then skimmed main page) (10 mins)
    - Podcast in the morning while walking to my first lecture (10-15 mins)
    - Watch a Youtube video on a potential discussion topic (5-30 mins depending) usually while eating a snack or something

Some of the videos I really loved:
    (courtesy of someone on this forum!)

I liked these because they allowed for casual watching to take a break from uni work etc. I sometimes watched some videos before going to bed to wind down for the day. Different things work for everyone, this worked well for me and some of the things in the videos I did utilise in my ACs!

Beluga

Star Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 31, 2021
    Would anyone know if the firms that have already completed their ACs have finalised their spring/summer vac scheme attendees list by now? I got placed on the reserve list for one firm and I'm wondering if there's no chance of getting a vac scheme spot now if they've already filled up their vac schemes
    I had to turn down a spring vac scheme offer and they responded on 22 February with acknowledgment — so I would assume at least some firms will still be finalising attendee lists and contacting reserve lists :)!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.