TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

letmeintolaw

Distinguished Member
Nov 11, 2021
Hi guys I really need some advice! I applied for a vac scheme with a firm (application and video interview), I have just had an email saying my application was unsuccessful for the vac scheme but that I have been shortlisted to be considered for an assessment centre for a direct TC application with the firm.

They have asked me to reply confirming if I want to be considered, but the email also says this:

'If there is a reason you would rather we didn’t shortlist your application (and instead let you apply again) please do let us know and we can accommodate this too.'

The thing is, if I did reapply and re-do the video interview, I think I could do better than I originally did because I wasn't that prepared, but that also risks withdrawing my current application only to not be progressed at all!

What would you guys do?

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    Hi guys I really need some advice! I applied for a vac scheme with a firm (application and video interview), I have just had an email saying my application was unsuccessful for the vac scheme but that I have been shortlisted to be considered for an assessment centre for a direct TC application with the firm.

They have asked me to reply confirming if I want to be considered, but the email also says this:

'If there is a reason you would rather we didn’t shortlist your application (and instead let you apply again) please do let us know and we can accommodate this too.'

The thing is, if I did reapply and re-do the video interview, I think I could do better than I originally did because I wasn't that prepared, but that also risks withdrawing my current application only to not be progressed at all!

What would you guys do?
    I don't see why you would re-do the video interview if they are essentially saying they'll let you skip that step altogether and move forwards onto the AC for the direct TC. Would you prefer to do the vac scheme over the direct TC (which makes sense - I just can't tell from your original message)? That's the only reason I can imagine to re-apply for the vac scheme. Worst case scenario if you aren't chosen for the AC couldn't you just reapply anyway?

relentlesspursuit

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 26, 2019
    Hi all. I have an upcoming verbal case study and was wondering if there are any sample private equity case study or other useful resources (outside of the M&A focused material) that I could use to prepare for this

rightletsdothis

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 30, 2022
    Does anyone know the minimum score needed to pass the Ashurst online tests? I have horrific math skills / cognitive math skills (E in GCSE maths lol) and haven't needed to use any maths throughout my degrees and previous law firm experience in London. So I am certain I did quite terribly.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    what is the difference between a law firm's sectors and its services?
    I would expect a sector to be an industry - e.g. oil and gas/energy or financial service or FMCG while a service to be an area of law they advise on, e.g. Corporate/M&A or Competition or IP or Real Estate...

So if Shell were merging with another company, the sector advising them would be Oil & Gas/Energy but the practice area would be Corporate/M&A

Just to confuse matters there are some services that will also be sectors like Real Estate.....

• ℹ️
    • 🏆
    Reactions: George Maxwell, AvniD, SK16 and 2 others

YUKI1201

Valued Member
  • Mar 3, 2021
    Is it possible to request transferring to another scheme after you've signed the offer?
    The firm's deadline for signing is next week but I'm waiting to hear back from two other firms (both will likely to take 2 weeks+ to get back)
    😭 what should I do

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.