TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
Has anyone heard from Taylor Wessing post-AC recently? I know they said last AC is 30th March but I'm impatient 🤠
Heard back just over a week after the AC. It really varies though I know last year some people heard back a couple days later some after all ACs for offers.

Reactions: OB

PastaPointOfNoReturn

Standard Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 9, 2022
Thank you so much for this, it is greatly appreciated. If I could just ask one more question, were the questions competency, motivational, firm-specific or a mixture?
Definitely a mixture, it was quite challenging to get everything I wanted to say into such a short response but I reckon everyone has the same struggle there, such are video interviews 😂

Reactions: lekimdinger

BM99

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Sep 12, 2021
Just received an update from Mayer Brown that they cannot give me an offer at this time, but they said they are looking at increasing the numbers on the vacation scheme so may be in touch in due course regarding an offer...

Has anyone encountered this situation before lol, or has anyone received the same email?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Just received an update from Mayer Brown that they cannot give me an offer at this time, but they said they are looking at increasing the numbers on the vacation scheme so may be in touch in due course regarding an offer...

Has anyone encountered this situation before lol, or has anyone received the same email?
It is quite common, but even more so at the moment when they have issues with finding appropriate supervisors due to the increase in working from home.

Reactions: djqb

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi! 😊

Just wondering whether anyone has any advice on what to do between now and Summer Vacation Schemes? I am already a graduate and currently looking for a job. However, I have been lucky enough to secure two Summer VS (a two week one in June and a three week one in July) and don't know what jobs to apply to for between now and June. Was planning on trying to get a paralegal job, but I can't imagine any firm will let me have 5 weeks off in the summer for 2 vac schemes (with only one week between them), nor any firm wanting to hire someone for less than three months!

Would I be better off trying to find a temp admin job / something similar which is unrelated to law for between now and June?

@Jessica Booker wondering whether you might please have any insight on this?

Thanks all in advance!
You could work for Flex Legal or other such platforms that help you find freelance/temp legal work. If money is not an issue and you're simply looking to get some experience and put your skills to use, you could volunteer at a legal advice centre.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Hele25

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 5, 2021
Nervous Marc E Bassy GIF by Yung Bae

Casual mid-afternoon check of an application portal and the switch from “you have applied” to “you application has been reviewed and is currently being processed” is about the most panic inducing, impending doom set of words ever created. Lol

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
@George Maxwell How would you answer an interview question regarding how a firm remains competitive / HSF's competitive strategy? Thank you!

Looking forward to reading @George Maxwell 's thoughts but would like to add mine too as I have answered this question in the past.

Try to think of a few things that you think are the firm's strongest selling points for clients. Certain business development initiatives, strength of their core practice areas, their approach to delivering their legal services- pick anything that stands out to you the most and genuinely interests you from a client view point (it is important for me to emphasise this because it may differ from what you like about the firm as an aspiring solicitor).

Then look for other firms who could boast of similar selling points and identify what the firm you're applying to does differently/better re that particular point to demonstrate how they maintain competitive. This may take a lot of effort on your part because this information is not always readily available, but once you do this, you can rest assured that your answer will stand out.

In the end, put it all together in a neat structure. You could state the thing that you think makes the firm competitive ➡️ justify this with evidence and reasons (you can bring in figures, initiatives, awards etc. here)➡️ repeat for 2-4 points depending on how much time and capacity you have.

Reactions: Hele25 and CF12345

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Okay so I’ve applied to a rather small firm for a summer vac scheme (held in May🤷‍♀️), and I received confirmation that they’re received my application on the 13th of Feb, but nothing further.
When is it appropriate to send an email asking for an approximate timeline? I need to start planning time off work etc! Thanks! :)
You could email them now simply stating when you applied and when you can expect an outcome for your application without needing to mention that you're doing so to plan time off as that may come off as being slightly presumptive.

• 🤝
Reactions: Hele25

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Sorry I was a bit confused haha. Can you explain more why firms will do that especially now? @Jessica Booker
They need people in the office to supervise you and also make sure you are ok/learning etc.

That is much trickier to do when people are working from home more. So finding supervisors who can supervise you is much trickier than it ever was before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.