TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawlondon65

Mar 1, 2021
Hi guys, unfortunately, I have not been successful this cycle because I only started thinking about a legal career in December... I am a third-year non-law student, and I have been offered a place to do an MA at the University of Cambridge (really fortunate). Still, I can't decide between doing that or applying for paralegal opportunities? Would a MA hurt my chances, or am I better off getting experience in Law? Any help would be appreciated! I just lost at what to do atm :) Currently, I have only a month's experience working in a solicitor's office, that I did at Sixth form.
Speaking as 'career changer' or someone approaching this whole TC/VS process about 5 years after university, I really would encourage you to focus on life experiences as much as just about what makes you a strong candidate for future TCs. My MA (unrelated to law) was one of the best years of my life, and the academic and other skills you will learn through an MA are immeasurably valuable. I always feel slightly sad seeing undergraduate students on this forum panicking about about getting a TC straight from uni, as there is so much more to life alongside that. Getting on an intense corporate train straight out of uni is not *always* the best thing. I used to regret not seeking paralegal opportunities or applying for TCs straight from university, but now I am so so grateful I have had the career/academic path that I have. You're still at university - you are so young and a year at Cambridge would be an incredible opportunity. Cambridge will also open a lot of doors for you. Massive congratulations for getting in!

You know your own circumstances better than me lol, but just wanted to share my perspective. Wishing you all the best.

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    Hi guys, unfortunately, I have not been successful this cycle because I only started thinking about a legal career in December... I am a third-year non-law student, and I have been offered a place to do an MA at the University of Cambridge (really fortunate). Still, I can't decide between doing that or applying for paralegal opportunities? Would a MA hurt my chances, or am I better off getting experience in Law? Any help would be appreciated! I just lost at what to do atm :) Currently, I have only a month's experience working in a solicitor's office, that I did at Sixth form.
    I second @lawlondon65 post! I did a masters in Art History (after doing an undergrad degree in history) and it was the absolute best time I ever had because I was so deeply passionate about the subject and it really allowed me to hone in on my writing and research skills. The tailored learning you get from an MA as well as more time to think about what you want out of life it really special (and time you won’t get it you work!). I also managed (somehow) to tie my MA dissertation into law so even in a non-law subject there are always ways to tie it back into your work! In my recent AC, I actually got to speak about my MA and how it fit into my journey into law so it also gives you a way of standing out and having something interesting to talk about in interviews!

Secondly, having done my undergrad at Cambridge, it’s an amazing city and a brilliant university so congratulations for getting in and I would encourage you to go and enjoy yourself. If you have any questions about the Uni let me know!!

Miki3999

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Jun 2, 2019
    Hi guys, unfortunately, I have not been successful this cycle because I only started thinking about a legal career in December... I am a third-year non-law student, and I have been offered a place to do an MA at the University of Cambridge (really fortunate). Still, I can't decide between doing that or applying for paralegal opportunities? Would a MA hurt my chances, or am I better off getting experience in Law? Any help would be appreciated! I just lost at what to do atm :) Currently, I have only a month's experience working in a solicitor's office, that I did at Sixth form

I think the MA will not hurt your chances and being at Cambridge is a fantastic experience (difficult to admit this for an Oxonian haha) so I would 100% go for it.

D

Deleted member 11671

PFO from w&c to finally end my application cycle. Having had interviews from 3 firms and flopping them all, I’m feeling seriously deflated. Does anyone have any tips/assurance to provide? I rly need it 😭
    Hi Amanpreet, like others are saying it's great that you've made it this far so you must be doing something right. If it's a specific interview task you are struggling with, I would recommend you spend some time practicing that. You could also try having a session with a coach - I had one with Aspiring Solicitors and they were super helpful. There are other coaches available too. If you would like to speak with a peer, happy to have a chat with you. I'm a South Asian woman so we come from the same cultural background (assuming you are so from your name). Feel free to DM me 😊

D

Deleted member 11671

Go for the MA and try to get some part time legal experience. I'm from Cambridge too (doing a PhD) and it was extremely difficult to secure paralegal experience because I'm working full-time on my research. I approached many small firms but due to the pandemic they didn't have any positions. Finally, an independent barrister took me on and although the mini-pupillage was supposed to last a week, I ended up working with her for nearly a year! I worked with direct access clients who didn't have a solicitor, so I had to help with tasks a paralegal/trainee solicitor might have done. The bottom line is, follow your educational aspirations regarding the MA and be creative about how you secure more recent legal experience.

APPLE619

Star Member
    Dec 6, 2021
    If you dont mind sharing, was it an offer or rejection? And also when did you do the AC? Nobody's contacted me in over 3 weeks ffsss
    it was an offer and I completed the AC on the 7th of May! If nobody has contacted you in 3 weeks I defo suggest emailing them. Everyone I know who did the AC heard back within 3 days (acceptance or rejection)

Legalmel_99

Legendary Member
    Jan 16, 2021
    I realise I may not have helped with my earlier posts on this conversation earlier.

I'd encourage everyone to normalise every outcome of how many vacation scheme offers someone gets.

We are talking about a process with so many variables, that the one thing that is really tricky to do is to say what an "average" is. We aren't taking anything into account as to why that average number might be what it is either.

None of that is helpful in my opinion.

From doing this for nearly 18 years, my experience is:
    • Many people get 0 vacation schemes, even across multiple cycles.
    • Many people get 1-2 offers, whether it be across one or multiple cycles
    • Many people get a lot of offers, sometimes in a really short period or time, in others other multiple years
    All of those outcomes are normal in my opinion.
    Completely agree with this!

1st cycle - 0 offers
    2nd cycle - 0 offers 1 AC
    3rd cycle - 3 offers had to reject one due to a clash but didn’t convert either VS to a TC
    4th cycle (now) - 1 offer

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Loads of people with whom I did the GDL had MAs, many from oxbridge, and I got the impression that for most it was an asset - they largely were going to the bar, which I gather places a bit more value on that kind of thing, but conversely is far more selective on net than the vast majority of city firms.

I'm extremely encouraging of people doing a stint as a paralegal - helps to keep one humble, if nothing else - but doing a masters you're genuinely enthusiastic about will always be a good use of your time.

And as mentioned, getting Cambridge on your CV (assuming you didn't already go to Cambridge or Oxford at undergrad) is pretty much always good for your career.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Unrelated question to the current thread, but I wondered how easy or hard it is to renege on a TC offer you accepted? Really interested to hear from @Jessica Booker and your thoughts on this?😅
    How hard it is depends on how far you are in the process of training. Basically if you have started the process of onboarding to law school (GDL/LPC/SQE course) then you are financially tied to that firm. Although it’s not impossible to still renege at that point, if you do, you typically need to be prepared to pay back any potential fees immediately. That could include any course that you haven’t started but have committed to (eg you have started the onboarding process for that course).

If none of the above applies, then it’s easy to renege. You literally just withdraw your acceptance, in the same way you would withdraw from a recruitment process you haven’t got to offer stage with yet. Just don’t expect the firm to do you any favours again in the short term (eg for the next 3-5 years).

Reactions: Bestkid98

YUKI1201

Valued Member
  • Mar 3, 2021
    PFO from w&c to finally end my application cycle. Having had interviews from 3 firms and flopping them all, I’m feeling seriously deflated. Does anyone have any tips/assurance to provide? I rly need it 😭
    Have you tried asking for feedback from the firms? If not I'd suggest doing so :)
    I've had 5 ACs with 3 offers 1 rejection in this cycle so far, one yet to respond; I'm in NO WAY an expert in this but I'm happy to share my modest personal insights and tips if you'd like - feel free to PM me!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.