TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dg_burnham

Jan 31, 2022
What’s the best way to ask a law firm if you could receive the outcome of a final round quicker because you would need to give another firm notice that you are going to reneg
Dear Y Graduate Recruitment Team,

I have received an offer from X, and I have to give my response by XX/XX/XXXX. However, I would much rather work for your firm. Could you please let me know if your firm will extend me a training contract offer before XX/XX/XXXX?

Thank you for considering my request.

Yours faithfully,

AntiVacYap

(Let us know how it goes!)

Reactions: ashleigh22

GOI983

Esteemed Member
Sep 15, 2021
Anyone still not heard from BM post-WG?

Considering they have their first AC on May 7th according to their earlier sent email and a VI has to be completed and reviewed before then, what are the chances that people not invited to a VI, can still be progressed?

F12M34L

Legendary Member
  • Apr 28, 2022
    Anyone still not heard from BM post-WG?

Considering they have their first AC on May 7th according to their earlier sent email and a VI has to be completed and reviewed before then, what are the chances that people not invited to a VI, can still be progressed?
    I got my VI invite 2 days after giving WG. Their first AC is on May 17th.

Reactions: GOI983

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I got the call on Monday offering me a TC at NRF (my dream firm). After 3 cycles, over 40 applications and multiple rejections I really didn't think it was possible but as my username suggests, it was indeed third time lucky! I truly couldn’t have gotten it without the support of the forum and the resources available on the TCLA so thank you all so much for everything! And if I can help anyone/or the forum in any way it would be a huge privilege! Now to relax until January!

Delighted to read this - well done!

• Love
    Reactions: thirdtimelucky

Lawyered

Standard Member
    Mar 4, 2021
    Did you give them a work email address by any chance? If so, that might be the data issue. I cannot think of any other reason why they would potentially change their mind (as it seems they were happy to provide it via email at first). The only thing could be if there are any data concerns relating to other people in the process (both interviewers or other candidates), but this seems unlikely.

Calls are generally a lot easier for them - it's quicker for them to do it over a call and answer any questions you may have, rather than providing a written document to you, and for you to then come back with questions and for there to potentially be back and forth. I generally encourage people to have a call rather than rely on something in writing as:

1) You can ask questions as you discuss the feedback
    2) You can ask for clairty
    3) You can listen to the tone a lot more - I think people will often read things differently when they are written versus how they may come across in a call
    4) Although this doesn't sound like it would be the case in your instance, you could ask the firm what other opportunities there could be with the firm/whether you could reapply.
    Thank you Jessica for your reply!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    i’m sure it varies between firms but are firms generally willing to let you do a AC for next cycles vacation scheme if you been offered an AC and cannot make it because of exams? thank you
    I would explain you have exams and ask whether you can have a later date first of all, rather than asking whether you can be considered for next cycle.

Reactions: WeRegretToInformYou

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Has anyone heard from Orrick at all post-written exercise? I'm not sure if I should email them - it's almost been a month since I submitted mine and I'm not sure how long is normal to wait :/
    Given its a month, I think it is fine to send a polite email asking when you will hear back.

Reactions: AvniD and jess_does_law

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Hi guys, slightly random but I have an interview for a banking paralegal role at Dentons. Any insight into how best to prep for this/if any of you have interviewed with Dentons, any tips would be really appreciated!
    I don’t have dentons experience but I would assume it’ll be quite CV and competency based to try and see if you’ll be a good fit and have the key skills to do well in the role. Also motivational questions like why law, why this role, why dentons etc and how it aligns to your career goals. There may be questions about your sector knowledge if it wanted experience in the job advert but normally showing you have the skills to learn and thrive will be good enough!

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I don’t have dentons experience but I would assume it’ll be quite CV and competency based to try and see if you’ll be a good fit and have the key skills to do well in the role. Also motivational questions like why law, why this role, why dentons etc and how it aligns to your career goals. There may be questions about your sector knowledge if it wanted experience in the job advert but normally showing you have the skills to learn and thrive will be good enough!
    Also to add a question that will be asked is why do clients choose us such as why do our banking clients choose us. As well 1 thing to prepare for is challenges facing banking clients and the banking sector such as interest rates or bonds so these types of challenges but there are other challenges as well are just some basic suggestions for examples of challenges.

I hope it is helpful.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.