TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawstudent321

Standard Member
May 6, 2022
Did anyone who has secured a Vacation Scheme attend the AS 'HeadStart into Vacation Schemes'? I had a place but couldn't go so I was wondering if there was anything useful to take away from it. Any advice would be appreciated as I have my first VS starting in 2 weeks!

kr253

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 20, 2021
Anyone else been put on the reserve list for AC for Shoosmiths post VI, or have been in the past? Wondering if there is point still holding out hope
I'm in the same position this year so can't offer any advice but can sympathise! Vaguely amusing that the email said I may be invited at short notice when it's already only a week away - how much shorter can it get..!

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    If a paralegal role has the option to upload a cover letter (only a CV is compulsory) - is it necessary to write one? Sorry if an irrelevant question for this thread!
    If it is through a recruiter then I would avoid it but if it is through a direct application you can if you want.

I usually don't do it and have received interviews both directly applying and through a recruiter.

I think writting a cover letter is a waste of time.

KLittle95

Standard Member
    Premium Member
    May 29, 2021
    I'm in the same position this year so can't offer any advice but can sympathise! Vaguely amusing that the email said I may be invited at short notice when it's already only a week away - how much shorter can it get..!
    Anyone else been put on the reserve list for AC for Shoosmiths post VI, or have been in the past? Wondering if there is point still holding out hope
    Also on the reserve list - seems a rather large one!

Reactions: OliverF77

LongSufferingLawGrad

Distinguished Member
  • Nov 7, 2021
    Is it standard to bring a laptop with you on your first day of a vac scheme?

Hey - you'll be given all the IT equipment you need, likely on the first day.

Took my Mac with me on the first day of VS with W&C, for example, which was unnecessary, as we were all given new, secure laptops with access to Firm IT infrastructure + headsets and a mouse.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    In regards to Dentons application question Tell us about a challenge you have overcome that showcases your ambition and drive?

I know I have asked about this before and have received feedback and advice from this forum.

I wanted to know if these 2 examples show a challenge.

I was going to talk about mentoring high school students by helping them with their studies by 2 grades and the student was easily distracted.

My second example is durin g university I impoved my grades as I was not good at essays.

Wanted to ask would either of these examples be good answer for this question.

Reactions: George Maxwell

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    In regards to Dentons application question Tell us about a challenge you have overcome that showcases your ambition and drive?

I know I have asked about this before and have received feedback and advice from this forum.

I wanted to know if these 2 examples show a challenge.

I was going to talk about mentoring high school students by helping them with their studies by 2 grades and the student was easily distracted.

My second example is durin g university I impoved my grades as I was not good at essays.

Wanted to ask would either of these examples be good answer for this question.
    I think the way you have phrased these examples currently showcases your resilience and patience better than your drive and ambition. I'm not usually picky about examples and generally feel that any work as long as you're able to explain your thought process behind them and get them to fit what the question is asking, but my advice for this one is going to be a little different and more detailed.

Firstly, I'd say to introspect a bit on your experiences to find examples where you set a goal (ambition) and the way/ways you tried to succeed at it (drive). So if you take your second example, the way I'd phrase it to meet what the question is asking is by stating how you set a goal to achieve a certain grade (rather than to improve your grades) and how you went about this.

Secondly, structure would be really key here. Start off by stating your goal/ambition (getting an XYZ grade) ➡️ what motivated you to achieve this goal (wanting to do well academically for XYZ reason, you wanted to improve from previous year or improve your essay writing skills etc.)➡️ the steps you took to achieve this goal ➡️ any challenges you faced in doing so and how you overcame them ➡️ round off by stating the outcome of your efforts.

Does this make sense?

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I think the way you have phrased these examples currently showcases your resilience and patience better than your drive and ambition. I'm not usually picky about examples and generally feel that any work as long as you're able to explain your thought process behind them and get them to fit what the question is asking, but my advice for this one is going to be a little different and more detailed.

Firstly, I'd say to introspect a bit on your experiences to find examples where you set a goal (ambition) and the way/ways you tried to succeed at it (drive). So if you take your second example, the way I'd phrase it to meet what the question is asking is by stating how you set a goal to achieve a certain grade (rather than to improve your grades) and how you went about this.

Secondly, structure would be really key here. Start off by stating your goal/ambition (getting an XYZ grade) ➡️ what motivated you to achieve this goal (wanting to do well academically for XYZ reason, you wanted to improve from previous year or improve your essay writing skills etc.)➡️ the steps you took to achieve this goal ➡️ any challenges you faced in doing so and how you overcame them ➡️ round off by stating the outcome of your efforts.

Does this make sense?
    Thank you very much for this it is really helpful and I was thinking they were not that specific to the question of showing drive and ambition. I will see how I can showcase the mentoring example in a way that shows ambition and drive.

Also I missed your arrows they are always helpful.

• 🤝
    Reactions: AvniD

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Thank you very much for this it is really helpful and I was thinking they were not that specific to the question of showing drive and ambition. I will see how I can showcase the mentoring example in a way that shows ambition and drive.

Also I missed your arrows they are always helpful.
    Glad to know this was helpful @Asil Ahmad! I was on annual leave for the past few weeks but it is really good to be back to the forum (and my arrows!) 😊

• Love
    Reactions: Asil Ahmad

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Glad to know this was helpful @Asil Ahmad! I was on annual leave for the past few weeks but it is really good to be back to the forum (and my arrows!) 😊
    As always thank you very much. I did not know you was away as I have off the forum for a while was focusing on getting a paralegal now but now need to focus on getting that TC thropugh direct TC route.

Reactions: AvniD
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.