TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zlegal

Aug 5, 2020
For Ashurst's Winter Vacation Scheme application does the question "Please use this section to tell us about yourself, your skills, achievements and why you want to train as a solicitor and work at Ashurst. (750 words max)" need to be in the format of a cover letter with (Dear... ) or can it just be written as a normal application answer would be. I understand in previous years this was written in a cover letter style with a 1000-word requirement.

ssolicitorz

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Aug 3, 2021
If we were to invite you to interview what is the issue that you would most like to talk about? And why? This can be a non-legal issue that you would happily discuss with your friends and should be something you genuinely feel passionate about. (300 words max)*

^How are people approaching this question for Mishcon de Reya's application and what kind of topics are you discussing? Would appreciate some examples as I really can't think of anything

Q.

M&A Bootcamp
Nov 23, 2020
Hi guys,

I hope you all have had a lovely summer so far. This is my first time joining and posting on this forum so I'm really excited to learn from you all and exchange valuable information that would help us all secure our dream VS/TC.

Is anyone else also an international student applying to VS/TC from outside of the UK? Do you know if firms have allowed international students to do VS virtually from their home countries in the last two cycles?

Last edited:

s10

Distinguished Member
Oct 1, 2020
Hello! The ashurst cover letter question says "please use this space to talk about yourself, your skills, achievement and why you want to train as a solicitor?"

Would you also use this space to talk about your motivation for applying to Ashurst? I don't necessarily want to shoehorn something that they didn't ask for, and the question seems to specifically focus on talking about you.

Thank you!

33c

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
M&A Bootcamp
Aug 8, 2020
If we were to invite you to interview what is the issue that you would most like to talk about? And why? This can be a non-legal issue that you would happily discuss with your friends and should be something you genuinely feel passionate about. (300 words max)*

^How are people approaching this question for Mishcon de Reya's application and what kind of topics are you discussing? Would appreciate some examples as I really can't think of anything
Hey! last year I wrote about the the refugee crisis as I had worked on it as part of a pro bono project. Although I got onto the vac scheme and was offered a TC, I would advise against writing about human rights-related topics as I was grilled on this during every interview I did (i.e. why not human rights law/why not work for a charity if this is something you are passionate about).

I have also heard of other people writing about fast fashion/climate change but as these topics are quite generic I would try and back up your interest by citing any experiences that have helped you develop that interest (charity work/pro bono/extra curricular).

I think the main point of the question is to talk about something clearly and persuasively, even if it is just a random hobby like running or football (and structure your answer well!)

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
For anyone doing A&O: I previously mentioned a document upload portal during the application form. This has been removed, and uploads can be done after your form is submitted.

D

Deleted member 2707

Hi guys,

I hope you all have had a lovely summer so far. This is my first time joining and posting on this forum so I'm really excited to learn from you all and exchange valuable information that would help us all secure our dream VS/TC.

I obtained my LLB from a top RG university (decent 2:1) and recently completed my self-funded LPC in this summer and moved from the UK back to my home country. I actually took a break from applying in the previous two cycles to prioritise my mental health. Is anyone else also an international student applying to VS/TC from outside of the UK? Do you know if firms have allowed international students to do VS virtually from their home countries in the last two cycles?

Moreover, does anyone know if firms are going to disqualify applicants who had to resit some of the LPC modules and only got a Pass overall? I'm a bit worried since I got Covid-19 during my Stage 1 and had to resit all core modules (which I later obtained all Distinction marks).

Sorry for bombarding you with all these questions. Thanks a lot in advance! :)
Hello! Nice to meet you and good luck for the upcoming applications :)

I'm an international student who applied from outside the UK. I don't have VS experience but I did attend virtual ACs and interviews so if you require help in that department I can help! I also have some experience leveraging my international background so if you need any advice, feel free to DM me :)

Reactions: Jaysen

Kubed

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    Hey guys, does anyone know if travers smith application will again require a cover letter and if so what the word count will be
    From memory, there isn't a word count but I kept mine to around one page long and was successful. Of course, length is not the most important thing, it's about quality rather than quantity.

Reactions: Jaysen

A M

Distinguished Member
    Dec 28, 2020
    Hello! Nice to meet you and good luck for the upcoming applications :)

I'm an international student who applied from outside the UK. I don't have VS experience but I did attend virtual ACs and interviews so if you require help in that department I can help! I also have some experience leveraging my international background so if you need any advice, feel free to DM me :)
    Hey,
    I am also an international applicant. Can I DM you to get some advice regarding how can I leverage my international background.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Try to pick something that is important to you but has a unique element to it, with based on your experiences that have driven this interest, or because the topic itself is just something slightly different. It’s one of those questions where trying to fit it into a “right” answer can actually be detrimental if it’s at the cost of telling something interesting about you.

golden99

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 1, 2021
    From memory, there isn't a word count but I kept mine to around one page long and was successful. Of course, length is not the most important thing, it's about quality rather than quantity.
    Thanks so much. Where there any other question on the application form ?

Kubed

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    Thanks so much. Where there any other question on the application form ?
    The other questions in the last cycle were:
    Please give details of your main extra-curricular activities and leisure interests.

Please give details of any positions of responsibility and achievements or awards at school, university or elsewhere

Hope that helps

Reactions: golden99

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    Hey! last year I wrote about the the refugee crisis as I had worked on it as part of a pro bono project. Although I got onto the vac scheme and was offered a TC, I would advise against writing about human rights-related topics as I was grilled on this during every interview I did (i.e. why not human rights law/why not work for a charity if this is something you are passionate about).

I have also heard of other people writing about fast fashion/climate change but as these topics are quite generic I would try and back up your interest by citing any experiences that have helped you develop that interest (charity work/pro bono/extra curricular).

I think the main point of the question is to talk about something clearly and persuasively, even if it is just a random hobby like running or football (and structure your answer well!)
    I just submitted my application today and I wrote about the refugee crisis in the Middle East! haha! I would appreciate any help regarding how you answered these questions. Also, it's very weird that they say it doesn't have to be legally related (so basically commercial law as well), and they liked your app and interviewed you where they had an issue with it being too international law related. Or was more to see how you would answer these questions and defend your interest in becoming a commercial lawyer?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.