TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Careerchanger2021

May 25, 2021
I'm applying for vac schemes after work commitments only allowed me to apply for direct tc applications last year. If @Jessica Booker or anyone can help me with the below that would be great!
  1. How much detail do I need to put for questions on application forms about the stage you reached in a previous application? I have a few where I reached the telephone/virtual interview and one where I reached the assessment centre. I presume that the Grad Rec teams will have all the details anyway so just wanted to check.
  2. If the questions on the application form are the same as last year and I made it past the first stage, how different do my answers need to be? Obviously I will update anything that relates to my work/experience or if it relates to a more recent business question.
  3. For the work experience section, what would you say is the best method for displaying the skills you've gained/developed from your experiences or would you actually use these sections as more of list of what tasks you were doing? I know that you've said on multiple occasions that prose is better, but if the formatting allows bullet points would you still opt for prose?
Thanks so much!

alicebloom

Dec 27, 2020
Hey, if I haven't been emailed saying I've passed the SJT a week after I've done it should I just assume I haven't passed it? It seems like everyone who has passed has been emailed almost immediately

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I'm applying for vac schemes after work commitments only allowed me to apply for direct tc applications last year. If @Jessica Booker or anyone can help me with the below that would be great!
  1. How much detail do I need to put for questions on application forms about the stage you reached in a previous application? I have a few where I reached the telephone/virtual interview and one where I reached the assessment centre. I presume that the Grad Rec teams will have all the details anyway so just wanted to check.
  2. If the questions on the application form are the same as last year and I made it past the first stage, how different do my answers need to be? Obviously I will update anything that relates to my work/experience or if it relates to a more recent business question.
  3. For the work experience section, what would you say is the best method for displaying the skills you've gained/developed from your experiences or would you actually use these sections as more of list of what tasks you were doing? I know that you've said on multiple occasions that prose is better, but if the formatting allows bullet points would you still opt for prose?
Thanks so much!
1) just explain the stage you got to. The firm might not be able to check depending on their data retention policy and how long ago you applied. A lot of data gets wiped (which is why they ask).

2) Your answers to things like work experience sections will obviously be identical as they won’t have changed. But I would consider whether you should update and refine any other answers. You might have better examples or stronger motivations this time around and you can’t assume just because your application was successful last time it will be successful this time, so always strive to refine, improve and update it

3) Just focus on the tasks usually unless the application asked you to highlight skills developed.

Reactions: Careerchanger2021

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey, if I haven't been emailed saying I've passed the SJT a week after I've done it should I just assume I haven't passed it? It seems like everyone who has passed has been emailed almost immediately
No - I’d only assume you have been unsuccessful once emailed to say you have been unsuccessful

Reactions: alicebloom

justanotherlawstudent

Feb 9, 2021
Has anyone received an email from A&O to complete the test even though you have already done it? I called GR today and they told me to ignore it because there is an issue with their system but I wanted to know if anyone else has had the same problem?

Reactions: sm2020

M777

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jul 15, 2019
Has anyone received an email from A&O to complete the test even though you have already done it? I called GR today and they told me to ignore it because there is an issue with their system but I wanted to know if anyone else has had the same problem?
Yeah everyone's having the same problem. I called them a few weeks ago and they said the exact same thing- they're aware of the issue!

D

Deleted member 2707

With the new cycle starting, I just wanted to hop by to say good luck to everybody. I know how stressful and exhausting it is applying to so many firms but keep your chin up- it just takes one! (basically my mantra throughout the whole TC process). My DMs are open if anyone wants to chat or if you need advice/another set of eyes :)

sm2020

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 2, 2021
Yeah everyone's having the same problem. I called them a few weeks ago and they said the exact same thing- they're aware of the issue!
Have you received an email saying you passed / failed the SJT? I did my test ages ago and haven’t heard anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.