TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi, everyone!
I'd like to ask whether my approach for A&O application questions is 'correct'. The questions are quite straight forward but I am just getting confused.

Question 1
Please describe the key learnings/skills you’ve gained through work experience, positions of responsibility, personal experience, or extracurricular activities.
  • For this, I used examples of when I 'innovated' a process (at work), collaborated on a campaign with a group of people, and lastly how I use 'attention to detail' when checking website articles.

Question 2
Outline how you would apply these skills to the trainee role at A&O, in order to be successful.

• Innovation - I talked about how innovative A&O is (RelativityOne) and how I would put the client first, and look for new approaches
  • Collaboration - I'd have to work with many different people within the firm (so I gave an example of their recent deal where different teams were involved) but also internationally.
  • Attention to detail - proof-reading etc
Sounds like you have taken the right approach!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
This is absolutely invaluable thanks so so much. Just a quick follow up question - I’ve actually written two answers to this now, one from the perspective of me outside the business - ‘Gowling can offer’ etc and one with me placed inside the business ‘we can offer’.
Do you think the firm will find the second way presumptive? 😂😂 Does it matter?
Remember the question isn’t asking you to frame this in what the firm would do. It’s just asking you to talk about pitch processes generally, and asking you to potentially leverage previous experiences.

But it wouldn’t be presumptive if that’s the approach you took.

anxiouslawyer

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 26, 2021
Anyone have any advice for the Simmons and Simmons application form? The question doesn't seem to imply you need to say anything about the firm specifically, so I'm torn as to whether to talk about my experiences / achievements in relation to how it makes me a good fit to train at S&S :

Please give details of your interests and activities, positions of responsibility, skills and achievements. Please also include any other information relevant to your application. (250 words max)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Anyone have any advice for the Simmons and Simmons application form? The question doesn't seem to imply you need to say anything about the firm specifically, so I'm torn as to whether to talk about my experiences / achievements in relation to how it makes me a good fit to train at S&S :

Please give details of your interests and activities, positions of responsibility, skills and achievements. Please also include any other information relevant to your application. (250 words max)
With that word count, I’d just focus on the question rather than trying to link it back to the firm.

Reactions: anxiouslawyer

LEL

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 22, 2020
HL have this question as one of their core questions: 'Tell us about any open days and events that you have attended in the legal sector'. (250 words!)

Do they want to know what you've learned from these events? Does it matter what kind of events they are?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
HL have this question as one of their core questions: 'Tell us about any open days and events that you have attended in the legal sector'. (250 words!)

Do they want to know what you've learned from these events? Does it matter what kind of events they are?
I’d try to ensure there is some kind of connection to the events and the firm you are applying to, even if just that the firms do similar work. If you have the word count you could briefly talk about either what you learnt or how the events have shaped your career motivation.

Reactions: LEL

Nicole15

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Aug 22, 2018
    Has anyone experienced any difficulties in filling out basic information using cvmail? For some reason, whenever I get to the preview application page, letters from my name and referees keep getting cut out. It's really odd as I have not experienced this before. I've also tried using different browsers too.

anxiouslawyer

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 26, 2021
    Has anyone experienced any difficulties in filling out basic information using cvmail? For some reason, whenever I get to the preview application page, letters from my name and referees keep getting cut out. It's really odd as I have not experienced this before. I've also tried using different browsers too.
    I'm experiencing the same issue. Letters from my name keep going missing. I've emailed about this to CV Mail support and hopefully they will resolve it.

Veep9

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    Clyde & Co’s application form asks if I’ve completed their Virtual Experience Programme. Is it a massive no no if I haven’t? Should I do that before I submit the application?

Honestly I’m working crazy hours so just making time for applications is all I can manage. I really don’t have time for more work outside of work (and I have some degree of legal work experience).

tt_xo

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 20, 2020
    Does any know if Clyde & co's new video interview will happen after you've passed the written application stage or is that part of the first stage of the app? seems a bit odd

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Does any know if Clyde & co's new video interview will happen after you've passed the written application stage or is that part of the first stage of the app? seems a bit odd
    I would guess from the wording on the website that it happens after and your written and video responses would be reviewed together to see if you get to the next stage. I could be wrong though!

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Clyde & Co’s application form asks if I’ve completed their Virtual Experience Programme. Is it a massive no no if I haven’t? Should I do that before I submit the application?

Honestly I’m working crazy hours so just making time for applications is all I can manage. I really don’t have time for more work outside of work (and I have some degree of legal work experience).
    Someone like Jessica would have better authority over this but I definitely would not say that you have to do these. Its more if people want to build their understanding of the firm and what sort of work law firms do in general. With your work and other experiences I'm sure you have enough to back up your reasons for applying :) So I definitely wouldn't stress that you can't rush through it as then its not even that beneficial to you either!

Reactions: ZaraB and Veep9

AAA_a

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 14, 2019
    Does anyone know what exactly is Linklaters looking for in the application/Capp assessment? I was on 90+th percentile for the Watson Glaser but apparently that does not necessarily guarantee me an interview and I don't want to have false hope.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.