TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

anxiouslawyer

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 26, 2021
Anyone else applying for Cooley's open day / summer scheme? Struggling a bit with this question :

"Tell us about you (both the good and the not so good)." (300 words)

Kind of stumped what to put here seeing as they had a separate question asking you to discuss activities, interests and positions of responsibility relevant to being a lawyer. Is this question basically a "strengths and weaknesses" question just reworded?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Anyone else applying for Cooley's open day / summer scheme? Struggling a bit with this question :

"Tell us about you (both the good and the not so good)." (300 words)

Kind of stumped what to put here seeing as they had a separate question asking you to discuss activities, interests and positions of responsibility relevant to being a lawyer. Is this question basically a "strengths and weaknesses" question just reworded?
Exactly - although look at the weaknesses more as development points.

Reactions: anxiouslawyer

Phoenix for all

Distinguished Member
  • Feb 13, 2020
    when you are filling out your details (eg name job occupation etc) on the Pearson Talent Lens database at the beginning of the watson glaser test, the last box is "receipt number". anyone know what I am meant to put in this box?
    I had the same when I did my WG - I just put “1” there but I am equally not sure if that’s what I was meant to do lol

Last edited:

Lily721

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    Hi guys,

I am a bit confused with regards to listing my work experience.

The application I am doing atm is asking me to list my experience in a chronological order, most recent first.

I am not sure if I should list my experiences in an order based on their end dates? Or start dates? The more I look at the different dates, the more confused I seem to be getting

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Hi @Jessica Booker

I hope you are well and enjoying this sunday evening.

I am struggling with my answer for this question "Please tell us something that not many people know about you"
    Before studying law at uni I was very much interested in philosophy (Nietzsche) and fascinated by a specific topic "the absence of God". It is not a random topic as it is connected to my personal story but also the way I was raised (Italian catholic), it was also the subject for both my GCSEs and A-levels projects.

Do you think that it could rub people the wrong way?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker

I hope you are well and enjoying this sunday evening.

I am struggling with my answer for this question "Please tell us something that not many people know about you"
    Before studying law at uni I was very much interested in philosophy (Nietzsche) and fascinated by a specific topic "the absence of God". It is not a random topic as it is connected to my personal story but also the way I was raised (Italian catholic), it was also the subject for both my GCSEs and A-levels projects.

Do you think that it could rub people the wrong way?
    No - perfectly acceptable topic

Reactions: S87

Rachel123

Premium Member
    Aug 19, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker , I was wondering if you think it is best for us to say "I" in the work experience section or not? On my general CV to date, I don't use "I" when I talk about what I did, I just say "Reviewing...", "Drafting..." etc. Any insight would be much appreciated! Thank you :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker , I was wondering if you think it is best for us to say "I" in the work experience section or not? On my general CV to date, I don't use "I" when I talk about what I did, I just say "Reviewing...", "Drafting..." etc. Any insight would be much appreciated! Thank you :)
    In a CV, I would avoid it as it’s usually in bullet point format, so doesn’t need to be in full “prose” sentences.

In an application form, people tend to write more in a prose format, with full sentences as they can’t format their answer into bullet points. In this situation, I/we becomes more appropriate to use.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.