TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawyering

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 29, 2020
Yes - I have seen people cite brochures or websites, but I just don't think it is necessary to do so. You should lead with your thinking rather than the voice of someone else. You don't really have to show where/how you did your research (unless asked) just that you have analysed that what the firm can offer aligns to your career aspirations.

That makes sense. Thank you so much @Jessica Booker !

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Anyone has any good advice on how to talk about commercial law events you've attended online in your applications? I feel like so many other people have attended these kind of events and I find it hard to use them in my apps to make me stand out from other people who've attended the same events.
Focus on the specifics you personally took away from the events - what you really learnt or what fuelled your motivation. This will be unique to you rather than focusing on something every candidate could say (e.g. what you did at the event).

Reactions: LS07

Miki3999

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Jun 2, 2019
    RE Linklaters: my application is "on hold" with 70% of completion (whatever that means) and the candidate review stage seems to be ticked positively. What about you guys? Last year my app only got to 66% (two years ago to 60) and then I got the pfo, so no idea if that 70% means something better this time

#overthinkingmuch

anxiouslawyer

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 26, 2021
    RE Linklaters: my application is "on hold" with 70% of completion (whatever that means) and the candidate review stage seems to be ticked positively. What about you guys? Last year my app only got to 66% (two years ago to 60) and then I got the pfo, so no idea if that 70% means something better this time

#overthinkingmuch
    That's where mine is at as well now that you mention it. No idea what it means though.

psr23

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 15, 2020

#overthinkingmuch
    2 years ago my application was rejected after getting to 66%, and this year I am at 70% and candidate review stage is also ticked. No idea what it means, trying not to get my hopes up as I saw on here earlier that someone had received an AC invite!

Miki3999

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Jun 2, 2019
    2 years ago my application was rejected after getting to 66%, and this year I am at 70% and candidate review stage is also ticked. No idea what it means, trying not to get my hopes up as I saw on here earlier that someone had received an AC invite!
    I hope we will find out soon! I think that last time when I was rejected the candidate review stage was not ticked (and it was also at 66%).

Reactions: psr23 and ellwilsen

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Hi guys can anyone advise me on how to prepare for Simmons VI, logical test and written exercise? It is my first ever second stage application process

anxiouslawyer

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 26, 2021
    Hi guys can anyone advise me on how to prepare for Simmons VI, logical test and written exercise? It is my first ever second stage application process
    Tbh I found it hard to prepare for the written exercise as I think it's Simmons' own test so I didn't see any practice exercises I could do.

As for the logical test, it's really bizarre stuff and I would advise doing a couple of practice rounds so you get a feel for what it's like.

Usual VI tips apply, make sure you dress well, in a quiet and well-lit environment etc. For the questions, prepare answers to stuff like, Why law and Why Simmons, and a couple of competency-based stuff.

Reactions: S87

hopefullawyer101

Legendary Member
    Feb 25, 2021
    Hi guys, interested to hear people's views on this. I have just received a TC offer, which I am currently yet to accept. I have now just been invited to an assessment centre at another firm for a winter vac, is it acceptable for me to attend? To reiterate, I haven't accepted my TC offer and I think it would be an interesting experience (and possibly a good opportunity to have more career options).

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.