TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZaraB

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 13, 2020
Hey! Yes, I applied on the 28th September. HSF is non-rolling though, so the date of application won't have made a difference surely?

I emailed them about responses time and they said they were aiming to get back to everyone by this Friday, so you will hear soon :)
Thanks so much that’s super helpful! I am guessing that’s the firm you heard from about the AC, good luck if you decide to go ahead with it!🌟

Nicole15

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Aug 22, 2018
    Hi guys, interested to hear people's views on this. I have just received a TC offer, which I am currently yet to accept. I have now just been invited to an assessment centre at another firm for a winter vac, is it acceptable for me to attend? To reiterate, I haven't accepted my TC offer and I think it would be an interesting experience (and possibly a good opportunity to have more career options).
    I don't have a response for your question, I think @Jessica Booker would be best placed to assist you with this... but I wanted to congratulate you on your TC offer!! Many congratulations and I wish you all the best of luck in your legal career! :)

Reactions: TK123

lila122

Star Member
    Jul 29, 2021
    Hi guys, anyone know if for a question such as, 'What do you feel will be the biggest challenges for the legal sector over the next 12 months?', it's best to only talk about the challenges, or should we also touch on how the challenges can be overcome?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi guys, anyone know if for a question such as, 'What do you feel will be the biggest challenges for the legal sector over the next 12 months?', it's best to only talk about the challenges, or should we also touch on how the challenges can be overcome?
    Think it really depends on the word count here. If it is 250 words or less, you probably only really have the space to talk about the challenges. If it is a longer application answer, then you potentially have the opportunity to talk about how such challenges can be tackled.

• 🤝
    Reactions: lila122

Hele25

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    Has anyone just heard NOTHING back from anyone they’ve applied to?? 😅 trying to think no news is good news but I’m getting kinda antsy and need to start planning work commitments/prioritising uni work etc which depends on knowing yay or nay.
    100% I’m not commenting on grad rev return times (understand they’re likely under the same immense stress as last year) but it’s quite eerie lolll

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Has anyone just heard NOTHING back from anyone they’ve applied to?? 😅 trying to think no news is good news but I’m getting kinda antsy and need to start planning work commitments/prioritising uni work etc which depends on knowing yay or nay.
    100% I’m not commenting on grad rev return times (understand they’re likely under the same immense stress as last year) but it’s quite eerie lolll
    Unless you are applying to winter schemes only, it is really early days. I wouldn't normally start reviewing applications until early November as often I hadn't actually received a lot of applications by this point in time.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Hele25, WillF and tt_xo

George.E.

May 26, 2021
    Anyone know how long Bird & Bird take to get back with the WG test post-application? Applied a week ago, not heard anything yet....
    Hi, for reference: I applied on the 9th September, was invited to complete the Watson Glaser on the 1st October, and was invited to the video interview this morning (26th October). So if there is any continuity, you will be waiting about 3 weeks or so before you receive the Watson Glaser invitation. Hope that helps :)

Last edited:
    • 🏆
    Reactions: anxiouslawyer and OB

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Anyone know how long Bird & Bird take to get back with the WG test post-application? Applied a week ago, not heard anything yet....
    Hi, they review your application before deciding whether to send you a WG test. It took just under 3 weeks for me to get a WG invite from them :)

Reactions: anxiouslawyer

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Tbh I found it hard to prepare for the written exercise as I think it's Simmons' own test so I didn't see any practice exercises I could do.

As for the logical test, it's really bizarre stuff and I would advise doing a couple of practice rounds so you get a feel for what it's like.

Usual VI tips apply, make sure you dress well, in a quiet and well-lit environment etc. For the questions, prepare answers to stuff like, Why law and Why Simmons, and a couple of competency-based stuff.
    Thank you so much!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.